IGNORED

R1200RT Indicator self cancelling?

bobpunter

The indicators on my '06 R1200RT seem to have a mind of their own. Can anyone tell me if they are supposed to be self cancelling or not? If they are, how do they work? Mine seem to have a mind of their own and I can't figure out when they are going to stop flashing. This can actually be quite disturbing. I can be negotiating a turning whilst under the impression my indicator is flashing, only to find it has stopped before the junction. It doesn't appear to be just a set number of flashes (yes, I've been sad enough to count them!)

I always regarded drivers who don't bother to indicate as an annoying breed. Now I appear to be unwittingly joining them!

It works by distance traveled. Some have given estimates of 100 yds or so, can't remember. I'm sure one of our resident engineers have a PDF file of the exact logarithm stored and will refine my very basic response. grin.gif

No PDF or Quantum Mechanics. Page 55 chptr 4 of the 06 RT owners manual, self cancel after driving for 10 seconds or covering a distance of approx. 650 feet… there ya go. grin.gif

Read......book? confused.gif Hmmm. headscratch.gif Might try that some day. Getting the seat off to get to the manual is SOOOOO much harder than asking you folks! jkam.gif

Normally I would agree. A&S gave me this handy dandy document organizer that I had sitting next to my computer while updating my maintenance records (please don’t laugh, a friend gave me a computer maintenance program for my bikes, and continuously asks if I loaded it, so I finally did), which has a pocket with the bike manual in it… otherwise you would have got a shrug. Glad to help out. smirk.gif

My turn signal doesn't seem to cancel as soon as I'd like in many cases. After I've made my turn, I frequently cancel it myself in order not to confuse other drivers regarding my intention(s).

Bob, I don’t believe the bike has a “turn cancel” relay where after your turn it cancels. I believe your only options are 10 seconds, 625 feet, or the cancel button.

Besides, cancelling the turn signal is a very, very, good habit to develop, or maintain as the case may be. It should be reflex after every turn for the reason pointed out above...(see confusion of cages).

Jim

Paul Mihalka
No PDF or Quantum Mechanics. Page 55 chptr 4 of the 06 RT owners manual, self cancel after driving for 10 seconds or covering a distance of approx. 650 feet… there ya go. grin.gif
Minor correction: It has to be 10 seconds AND 650 feet. If you are sitting at a traffic light but have not done the distance, it will not cancel. Same, if you are traveling real fast and covered the distance in less than 10 seconds, it won't cancel until the time is also up.
Bob, I don’t believe the bike has a “turn cancel” relay where after your turn it cancels. I believe your only options are 10 seconds, 625 feet, or the cancel button.

I don't believe this information was in the '05 RT manual.

Jay

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way Paul, cause I really enjoy your posts, but verbatim “After driving ten seconds OR after covering a distance of approx. 650 ft (200 m), the turn indicators are automatically switch off.<” et al(2005, BMW Motorrad, Rider’s Manual (US Model) R 1200 RT, p. 55).

However I find your statement logical, you should pursue this with higher authorities. Let me know how that turns out.

Jay, no it wasn’t in the manual, I used deductive reasoning so now your going to take me church? grin.gif

Paul Mihalka
I hope you don’t take this the wrong way Paul, cause I really enjoy your posts, but verbatim “After driving ten seconds OR after covering a distance of approx. 650 ft (200 m), the turn indicators are automatically switch off.<” et al(2005, BMW Motorrad, Rider’s Manual (US Model) R 1200 RT, p. 55).

However I find your statement logical, you should pursue this with higher authorities. Let me know how that turns out.

It is quite possible that my "minor correction" has to be to the manual and not to the poster - sorry!

I would suggest to turn the bike on, click the turn signal, and see if it goes off in 10 seconds or 15 or at all while not moving. I would bet it will not.

My turn signal doesn't seem to cancel as soon as I'd like in many cases. After I've made my turn, I frequently cancel it myself in order not to confuse other drivers regarding my intention(s).
BMW's philosophy on self-cancel is a bit different than some of the other mfg., HD and Honda come to mine. BMW doesn't try to set up the system so you don't have to cancel you signals, they set it up to cancel them if you don't. A subtle, but important difference. It's not designed to be the primary canceling method. That's you. Rather, it's designed to be a backup method when you fail to do it.

Many thanks for the usual prompt and precise responses! My problem was not forgetting to cancel but realizing that it had already cancelled (too early)usually on long slip roads - is that an off ramp over there?.

My journey home tonight will now be even more exciting as I put it to the test! Alternatively I could just get myself a life I suppose.

Paul Mihalka

My last two bikes are oilheads without self cancelling signals. Before I had K bikes that had the feature. When I wanted the signals to stay on I just hit them again every few seconds. I like to signal way ahead of time, specially when I plan to make a left turn but have to stop in the main driving lane before I can make the turn.

“After driving ten seconds OR after covering a distance of approx. 650 ft (200 m), the turn indicators are automatically switch off.

OR is correct. You have to be moving for the 10 second timer to count. Not sure what the minimum speed is for the timer to work, but you won't get 650ft if you are moving slowly.

I'm sure one of our resident engineers have a PDF file of the exact logarithm stored and will refine my very basic response.

Hee hee. I KNEW the hair splitting and microscopes would come out on this one! pain10.gif

Archived