IGNORED

Tired of a dirty WindScreen

azkaisr

Ok I give up. It is bad enough that bugs can't go around my RT when I am cruising down the road but I am having a devil of a time really finding something that does a good job cleaning my windscreen. Any of you mokes have a good solution to Kleaning off the Kamikazees?

Thanks in Advance

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I use water, hot or cold, and a microfiber towel. Works better than anything else I have ever tried. Lately, I've been using Pledge to clean the windshield and that works really well, but I don't know how well it'd work on bugs. Buy a microfiber towel down at nearly any auto store or large department store and have at it. Works great on brake dust too...brake fluid, etc. When done, toss in your clothes washer and you're good for next time. They come out stained, but work very well anyway. Have fun!

Ditto the micro fiber and water but Costco sells them by the 20 pack for $10. Add a synthetic chamois for the finishing touch. In fact, I use those towels to wash the entire bike, rinsing often in clear water. No soap or hose required! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Once you have it clean, Plexus, or better yet, Honda Cleaner/Polish does a great job of adding a little extra protection or anti-stick properties. Nothing but a good soak with hot water will get love bugs off but they are only for 2 months a year. BMW does not recommend anything but plain water for its windscreens but I like Plexus. A quick squirt and a wipe with a microfibre towel at every gas/rest stop keeps things well in hand. I hardly ever wash my bikes but do use McGuires Instant Detailer and a microfibre towel most days when the ride is done. Unless I have spent the day in heavy rain with the consequent accumulation of road snot on the fairing, this gets the job done. In the above case, a trip to the quarter car wash, being careful to avoid vulnerable places, gets the spooge off and I just wipe it down and ride off.

I use a big spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide with a few drops of dish soap with a microfiber towel. It's very satifying to watch the little buggers foam up eek.gif

Ok I give up. It is bad enough that bugs can't go around my RT when I am cruising down the road but I am having a devil of a time really finding something that does a good job cleaning my windscreen. Any of you mokes have a good solution to Kleaning off the Kamikazees?

Thanks in Advance

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I don't ever bother cleaning my windshield while riding. I don't look through the windshield while riding and it'll just get dirty again before the next stop, so what's the point? At home, I clean my bike spong bath style with a bucket of water and clean cotton towel. Laying a soaking wet towel over the windhield for a couple of minutes will practically disolve all the bug guts without any wiping.

Carry a baggy with a wet face cloth and mild soap in your tank bag. Works great with the dry face cloth you are also keeping in your bag.

I have been using Windex for automobile and it works great.

I carry a small spay bottle (drugstore or dollar store)and use it to clean windscreen and visors.

I have been doing this for years on different bikes with no negative effects. Very good results.

ShovelStrokeEd

Windex is kinda a bad idea on BMW windscreens, at least the later vintage ones. They come coated from the factory and the ammonia in Windex will cause that coating to break down over time.

Go to Walmart (yeah, I know - the evil empire) and go to the RV department. Look for a product called Protect-All (16 oz spray bottle for about $8). Shake it up and put a couple coats on your windscreen. When you get bugs, spray more on and wipe it in - bugs come off quickly and easily.

Protect-All is a liquid wax product that is safe to use on plastic windscreens. (I was told about it by a pilot friend and he's been using it for years with no issues)

Bonus - can be safely used on your faceshield too!

And it really helps with keeping the rain off.

Jim

Go to Walmart (yeah, I know - the evil empire) and go to the RV department. Look for a product called Protect-All (16 oz spray bottle for about $8). Shake it up and put a couple coats on your windscreen. When you get bugs, spray more on and wipe it in - bugs come off quickly and easily.

Protect-All is a liquid wax product that is safe to use on plastic windscreens. (I was told about it by a pilot friend and he's been using it for years with no issues)

Jim

Will try that!

Have used that stuff on boats and my bike. Not bad stuff actually. Not very expensive either. I try not to obsess about my windscreen being splatterd 'cause it means I been riddin'!!!!!!!!!!

To remove bugs and dirt, I use a 100% cotton towel soaked in hot water. Leave it on the screen for a few minutes, then remove bugs gently. I follow by drying with a diaper.

A tip: after you get your screen clean and dry, give it a coat of wax - any automotive wax will work just fine. Let the wax dry to a fine haze and buff it out with a 100% cotton towel. This will make bug removal easier next time.

Try some clingfilm. At the end of your journey simply peel it off. No need to wash. You can take a roll with you and replace it at suitable intervals.

Cabbage

ShovelStrokeEd

Hmmm, I like that idea, tearoffs for the windscreen. Given that lots of folks seem stuck on the idea of putting something that looks more like a spinnaker sail than a windscreen on the front of the bke, I wonder where one would find cling wrap wide enough? Commmercial sources, I guess, maybe restaurant supply houses.

I will keep in mind for love bug season down here though.

I wonder that some enterprising soul hasn't made a nice business out of farming the damn things and making an adhesive out of their squished guts. Persistant stuff, a sun baked love bug.

Use the clingfilm in layers if it isn't wide enough. Start at the top and overlap as you move down the screen. In this way the wind pushes down on the overlap and so doesn't lift the film.

Cabbage

ShovelStrokeEd

No worries, the largest windscreen I have is the one on my R100S. All the others are more or less tiny.

I use warm soapy water and then take a wet towel or chamois and lay it flat on the wind shield for 10-15 minutes. This allow the little critters to get soften up to the point you can remove them.

I use Plexus and a microfibre cloth, though I just bought a squirt bottle of Novus as one of the guys at Gunnison recommended it for cleaning off the bugs. Just tried it tonight, but can't decide whether it's better than Plexus.

There is a product called "awesome" I've seen at alot of drugstores like Longs or walgreens but I get it at the Dollar Store for cheap. Dilute it 25:1 with distlled water. Spray it on from a bottle. Wait a while then wipe off with microfiber towel turning frequently. Exoskeletons are abrasive.

I use this on painted surfaces too.

After cleaning treat the windshield with Plexus and the painted surfaces with Protect All. Works for me.

Regards RT Fink

Jim

Will try that!

I also go to wally world. I just pick up a can of Lemon Pleg. Wax on wax off! grin.gif works grate. If I run out, I will just take the wifes from inside the house! grin.gif I can wipe down the hole bike. Bugs come right off and bike smells good. thumbsup.gif
mistercindy

Try Windex (or any other brand), or just water, and wipe it with newspaper. I don't know what it is about the quality of newspaper or its print, but its way more effective than a cloth.

Archived