ME 880 or Z6?

realshelby

If I could choose only between those two what should I choose? I currently have an '04 RT with Avon Azaro's with 8K and about 2K left. The front tire has enough left side cupping that it will need to be replaced with the rear. I do not drag pegs, am definately more touring than sport oriented. I want a tire that is not scary in the wet, the Azaros seem exceptional in the wet. I think the tread pattern on the front ME880 might wear better than some of the other designs as far as cupping. I guess what I am asking is at what point do the Z6's make that much difference. If only at extreme angles I may not need them. I definately ride more "slab" than curves here in Houston.

Wow, that was a really good answer to his question dopeslap.gif

I've run both on my RT. From the way you describe your riding style, I'd say the 880's are the way to go. Quite, plenty of grip, and usually very good wear and mileage. I was very happy with them.

The Z-6's are a good midrange sport touring tire. Metzler makes them even for my K12S and I have them mounted now. They are ok for even that application, but I will probably try the M3's on that bike next time.

ShovelStrokeEd

Don't be too harsh on Rags, Tim. There was a thread on this very subject not a week ago.

From the description given of riding preferences I would say the 880 is the way to go. No need for a Z rated tire at all on any BMW short of the new K bikes and even the K12R doesn't have a top speed that would merit a Z rated tire. The average to very good rider will be well pleased with the traction offered by 880's and even those that push the envelope have reported to serious issues. They are predictable and give plenty of warning before they will slide.

When I was talking to the Metzler guy at Frank's in VT last week, he said the 880's are not approved by BMW for the '05 RT, and suggested the Z6. Anyone know why the 880's aren't approved?

Paul Mihalka

Long time ago I talked to a well informed BMW factory guy, and he told me that a tire "not approved" does not mean that it is disapproved, only that it has not been tested and included in the specifications to German and now EU authorities. So if the bike's original specifications are for Z rated tires, nothing else will fly. It makes a bit of sense. In Europe they ride on the average much sportier than here but they don't have a Kansas or Texas to cross. It was always like that. The old high mileage favorite for airheads and old K bikes was the ME88. As far as I remember it was never "approved" for use by BMW.

ShovelStrokeEd- your input was exactly what I was looking for. I know we have had a coupe tire "threads" lately, but I wanted to limit this to the two tires I mentioned only. I am no more than an average rider and I like what you said about plenty of warning before they slide too much. As far as Z rated goes I will likely only see 120 occasionally for a very short burst. Bottom line is that I probably would never use the extra grip of the Z6.

my 2004 rt has been shod with z-6's the last two times it got new rubber. got about 8k miles on the first set, still on the 2nd. run them 41/42. when i asked the dealer about 880's he suggested that they were the metzler of choice of the big ass LT. may try them the next time as i'm a slow poke (rarely above 90) who lives in state where twisties are few and far between.

Depends upon the goal to a certian extent.

Goal is long life with good traction fot 90% of what 90% of us do? - 880

Goal is max. traction at the expense of longer life? - Z6.

ShovelStrokeEd

Intersting, yes, but hardly conclusive. Note that the wear test was done on an R6, a bike that is substantially lighter than and RT or even my Blackbird.

I really have no beef with the Z6 tire except in two places. First, it squares too quickly for me and too wide when it does. This makes the transition into lean feel spooky, no real issues with sliding, it just doesn't feel right. The second is well known in that the lack of any tread pattern in the center of the tire makes it impossible to really gauge how much tire life is left. Those of us who spend a good deal of time upright while covering lots of miles need that indicator.

My Blackbird currently has about 6000 miles on a set of Pilot Roads and the center square zone is just starting to become evident. The 1100S, parked next to it with only about 5K on the tires has a much wider square section already.

These two bikes are within pounds of each other and are ridden in very similar fashion. If anything, I'm a bit more agressive with the Blackbird now that I have grown used to it. Neither bike is likely to wind up with 880's on it, although, in a pinch, I would probably mount a set.

Archived