IGNORED

Poor back brake

cabbage

R1100RT

Front brakes are top class.

My back brake is crap even with new pads. Have dismantled and cleaned and regreased the caliper slides. The pistons operate with no sticking or other problems.

Is a weak rear brake pretty much what I can expect on this?

Cabbage

ShovelStrokeEd

Yup, strength in the back brake is neither needed nor desirable. It is useful at the very beginning of a straight line stop but becomes a liability once the front brakes are applied hard. There is enough there to slightly modulate your speed should you need to apply some in a turn, for example, where again, a powerful rear can quickly act to your detriment.

That said, you might have a bit of air in the system yet. The rear on early 1100's is a bit difficult to bleed well what with the very small master cylinder and the long path up to the ABS pumps and back. Get a new 12 oz can of brake fluid and bleed that sucker till you are absolutly sure there is no air in there.

Rich06FJR1300

not sure about the 1100RT, does that have the EVO braking system? I know when i hit my rear brake hard the whole bike lurches as it operates the front brakes too...way powerful but i like it!

On my R1150RT, adjusting the brake pedal linkage does also effect the strength of the rear brake. My RT rear brakes, which are linked to the front, were too touchy, because of the servo assist. I adjusted the linkage arm to reduce the touchiness.

Maybe adjusting your linkage tighter will help.

Air in the system makes for spongy brakes on most machines...not sure how it effects BMW systems.

ShovelStrokeEd

R1100RT's don't have the EVO braking system. Most do have the older ABS system and it can be a PITA to get the rear properly bled and flushed using manual methods. Very small master cylinder with little reserve capacity and a convoluted and long brake line.

Archived