IGNORED

Hyperlites on an R1200RT

ChrisRappl

I have installed Hyperlites on my last three BMWs. I would like to install them on my R1200RT, but, I'm not sure if they are compatible with the ABS. It is my understanding that the ABS computer controls the brake lights. I know that they are single filament lamps that act as tail lights with about 2.5 volts applied and brake lights with 12 volts applied. Anybody have any experience with this? Has anyone experienced any problems with them installed?

Thanks.

I installed Hyperlites on my '05 RT last summer. The process was straightforward, quick and easy. In order to make sure I purchased the correct unit, I called the company and placed my order directly with them.

There were no "issues" with the installation, just follow the supplied directions.

I installed Hyperlites on my '05 RT last summer. The process was straightforward, quick and easy.

Ditto here. I installed a set of the R1200RT II Dual Function on my '06 R12RT. They work like a champ.

Wes

Bought my '05 1200RT used and it had Hyperlites already installed...No problems...These have 16 led's in each light rather than the 8 in previous one's I've had....

Phil........Redbrick

These have 16 led's in each light rather than the 8 in previous one's I've had....
Same here. Mine work just fine and are really bright. I installed them so that they modulate continuously, and I plan to modify that so that they pulse for a few seconds, then go steady. I think they are less likely to irritate following cars that way.

Hi Chris

I was just passing thru Raleigh 4 weeks on the way to Morehead for vacation. I also lived in Raleigh for 7 years. When I buy a new bike the first thing I do is add Hyper Lites and Speedbleeders. I love H.L. and people definitely see them. They absolutely sell them for the new RT's and they are very easy to install. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Since you have installed them before should take you about 15 minutes. I mounted mine to the underside of each grab bar just above the turn signal lens. The LED's are higher and cars approaching from behind see them better. They do not affect the ABS or Can Bus electrical system. Wire them up and enjoy!!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll get a set ordered.

They have several sets for the 1200RT on their site. I got the one with 16 LEDs per side, and are dual function (tail light and brake light). The installation was very simple, and they are really bright.

Well I installed the Hyper-lites this morning. I too opted for the 16 LED Dual Function lights. The model # is R1200RT II. The cost including shipping came to $99.45. They seem to be high quality units and if they save my rear once it will be money well spent. I have come to the conclusion that as far as me and my bikes are concerned there is no such thing as a 10 minute job. By the time I finished it had turned into a two hour project just because I get too anal about everything from routing the wires to soldering to heat shrink and of course cleaning everything that I touch and even some things that I don't. They look good and now I have the added feature of being able to see when the battery charger is charging and when the computer has opened the circuit to the aux sockets. My bike does not have the glowing red hazard cancel button, so, it actually is (kind of) useful. I'll go for a ride tonight to see how bright those 16 LEDs really are. I did clip and insulate (heat shrink that I pinched closed and burnt my fingers a little bit) the green wire so that they flash for 5 sec. and then go steady. I can always release and reapply the brakes if I need to start the flashing again while waiting at a stop. Thanks again for the help and advice of this group.

I mounted my 16-LED HyperLites on top of the tail light housing - beneath the luggage rack. So far, I have NOT snipped the green wire.

HyperLites2.jpg

HyperLites1.jpg

I also put a set on yesterday. Nice and easy. I mounted mine as recomended on the side reflectors by the plate.

Yes they are bright. grin.gif

Got them from Cycle gagets $75.95 + ship.

So far, I have NOT snipped the green wire.
I just did snip it, five minutes ago. I found myself releasing the brake to avoid irritating or confusing people behind me at stop lights and intersections. I like it better the way I have it now.

The dual function hyper lights are very apealing but what's up with our Canbus system dealing with this intrusion into it's "domain"?

The dual function hyper lights are very apealing but what's up with our Canbus system dealing with this intrusion into it's "domain"?
The only Canbus complication I found is that, with the "official" BMW battery charger, the running lights portion of the dual-function kit comes on whenever the battery is taking a charge. In effect, the LEDs act like an "in service" indicator light for the battery charger. When the charger comes on, it detects the running lights as a demand and supplies power to them. (I think I've got this right.)

It's a little disconcerting to walk into the garage and see the tail lights on when the key is in your pocket. When I asked the Hyperlites rep about this, he said that the current draw in this situation is insignificant and that it is safe to ignore this anomaly. The LED drain is not sufficient to interfere with the normal charging, and when the battery is topped up, the lights will go out. That is in fact what happens.

Alternatively, you can just put a quick-disconnect in the wire that taps the Hyperlites into the rear accessory socket. Unplug this wire when you put the bike on the charger and plug it back in when you are ready to ride the bike. Takes about 1.5 seconds.

Quick question - with the straight Hyper-lite brake lites (no running lites), do you tap into the line feeding the original brake lites, and if yes, what is the recommended way of "tapping" the line?

Thanks -

Quick question - with the straight Hyper-lite brake lites (no running lites), do you tap into the line feeding the original brake lites, and if yes, what is the recommended way of "tapping" the line?

Thanks -

If you buy the Hyperlite kit, you will find complete instructions about which wire to "tap" and all the connectors you need to complete the job without cutting or splicing wires.

Archived