IGNORED

Mirrors for R1200RT

Tim_Klassen

Tim_Klassen

Hi I'm a new member and this is my first post. When reviewing all the great posts, storeys etc. in the past few weeks I noticed someone had a photo of his 1200RT dash and he had additional mirrors from another BMW model which he also posted the part #'s. I questioned this and yet now that my bike is 2 months old I would like to add mirrors to mine as well because rear visibility is restricted especially directly behind. I searched and can't find the post with these part numbers. Does anyone remember where this was originally posted?

BMWSporttouring is a great site and looks like a very nice group of riders!

Tim (Canada)

Tim,

I don't have the part #s but you can tell a dealer that you want handlebar mirrors for a late model K 12 RS. You will also need the special sleeve nuts and wave washers. I have these mirrors on my R12RT and they are great!

Part number for the round GS type mirrors are 51-16-2-308-577. The previously mentioned mirrors also look very good on the RT, I've seen both, but decided on the round style.

I also put the GS mirrors on my R1200RT. I tried the other ones first, but, I felt that the double stalk design blocked too much of the existing mirrors.

I have the same type on my 05 as Limecreek. My part numbers are as follows:

(2) mirrors - 51162307769

(2) washers - 51162309607

(2) nuts - 51162328287

I like em..

Tim_Klassen

Thanks to all you guys who helped me find the mirror part numbers!!

I'll order the mirrors ASAP. The left side mount hole is presently being used for the talk button of my J&M RT CB radio but I'm sure I can alter it to work. I'll post a photo once the mirrors are installed. Hey Limecreek: the 2nd photo you posted has a mini satellite dish mounted on your RT window, cool bike option (ha ha)

Thanks again!

Tim

Limecreek,

Someday my windscreen will be that clean.

Not in my lifetime, but one of these days, it may look like yours!

AD

We don't have those dang love bugs here in Texas--thank goodness. My Dad lives in N. Fort Meyers and has one heck of a time getting them off his RV.

But yes, I do like a clean screen. thumbsup.gif

Hey Limecreek: the 2nd photo you posted has a mini satellite dish mounted on your RT window

It's a new product offered exclusively through your local BMW dealer.

Tim,

Thanks to (Board Member) Ken-H, I have BMW K-RS mirrors on my '05 RT. Ken sent me the following #'s, I ordered them and they went right on.

1 ea. Left mirror: 51167653773

1 ea. Right mirror: 51167653774

2 ea. Wave washer(s): 51162309607

2 ea. Nut(s): 51162328287

They sure make a difference when you "check your six", especially if fully loaded!!

Good luck,

Mike05

Apparently, I must be one of a few that just doesn't have problems with the stock mirrors. I just adjusted them to where I could easily see out of them with my arms relaxed and don't have a problem with them. Yes, I am a contrarian. confused.gif

Just noticed a pair of K1200RS mirrors for sale for $65 in the classified section. Might be what you're looking for.

Mike05

Apparently, I must be one of a few that just doesn't have problems with the stock mirrors. I just adjusted them to where I could easily see out of them with my arms relaxed and don't have a problem with them. Yes, I am a contrarian. confused.gif

Me too. I can see quite well directly behind me and to sides as needed.

Maybe we're just odd?

AD

Maybe we're just odd?

AD

Or maybe you don't spend too much time riding 2-up. That's when I have the most trouble using the mirrors.

St0nkingByte

Maybe we're just odd?

AD

Or maybe you don't spend too much time riding 2-up. That's when I have the most trouble using the mirrors.

Or we have skinnier passengers. Oh did I just say that out loud? grin.gif

I almost never ride two up so the stock mirrors are fine with me. I have been thinking about putting some wide angle stick on mirrors in the corner where I can see my hands but I like the plain stock look of my bike so much I'm loath to change anything.

I have been thinking about putting some wide angle stick on mirrors in the corner where I can see my hands but I like the plain stock look of my bike so much I'm loath to change anything.

I tried that, and it was almost impossible to get them in a position that was useful, placing them where my hands are visible in the mirror gave me a good wide view of nothing!!... they didnt look too bad, but in the end took them off as they were useless. Am considering trying again with the circular 'fish-eye' disks instead of the rectuangualt wide angle mini-mirrors, but feel like it might just be a wast of money

Aha! That might be it as "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is not about to be seen on a bike without a full backrest, tourpack, floorboards, arm rests and individual headset controls. (The last bike had that).

So, I now wind up riding a lot solo, which has its good and bad points.

AD

...Am considering trying again with the circular 'fish-eye' disks instead of the rectuangualt wide angle mini-mirrors, but feel like it might just be a wast of money
I have a pair of those that I mounted on the outside lower corners of the stock mirrors and they work pretty well. The ones that my BMW dealer had for sale were too small, so I found some at Wal-Mart that were 1 1/2 times larger.

I am planning on checking out the handlebar types of mirrors at my dealer in the very near future. I'm not 'wild' about the aesthetics (of h-bar mirrors), but when it comes to safety, I'll make an exception.

Tim,

I don't have the part #s but you can tell a dealer that you want handlebar mirrors for a late model K 12 RS. You will also need the special sleeve nuts and wave washers. I have these mirrors on my R12RT and they are great!

I put a set on too Tim. What a difference. Couldn't see a thing out the stock mirrors with a passenger on back. Like the stock ones other than that.

The K1200RS mirrors (rectangular) really make the difference. I have since adjusted the stock mirrors to point outward as far as they can and now use them for passing mirrors to check my blind spots.

Got mine at Chicage BMW for about $120 for the pair with washers and nuts. Took almost 2 months to get them... not sure those guys are too on the ball, but their price was the best.

Will try to attach a pic. Not the best of them but all I have here at work.

721567-IMG_0701.JPG.89771f3b31968c8d60a748a9cb15c7b2.JPG

The reason I installed the mirrors in the first place was that I was going 2up camping. With all of the gear on the bike I couldn't see past it. After I installed the handlebar mirrors I never took them off. They work that much better. Here's a pic of the bike loaded to travel.

bike001Small.jpg

As I consider my options, do most of you feel that the double-stalked (K1200RS ?) mirrors obstruct the, already limited, view with the stock mirrors?

I'll probably be making a mirror purchase today and I hate making mistakes, especially when it involves $125 or more. dopeslap.gif

Catbird,

I'm toying with adding a set of mirrors, so I was thinking about that. In other words, "Here's my total guess."

It looks like the double-stalked mirrors would block the original mirrors more (ChrisRappl said that in the fifth post in this thread) but I'm wondering which mirror type offers the best view. It looks like the shape of the double-stalked mirrors would show a wider view with more of what's happening on the sides.

I also like Mainuh's idea of turning the stock mirrors out to cut down on blind spots and use the new mirrors to see what's coming up from way behind. That sounds like the best setup for visibility

Which style did you buy?

Jim

Jim -

I rode my RT to my dealer's today and they allowed me to take one of each of the two types of mirrors out to try in the parking lot.

Aesthetically, I prefer the double-stalked, rectangular mirrors. Additionally, they provide a slightly larger rear view. Unfortunately, they DO obstruct the stock mirror view considerably. Cost $59 ea.

The round, single-stalked mirror is okay and it doesn't obstruct as much leaving the stock mirrors somewhat useable. Cost $52 ea.

I ended up buying a pair of the round mirrors (w/ washers and nuts) because of the obstruction issue.

Now, I seem to have a slight installation problem...

I cannot get the left mirror stalk with the threaded end to completely go thru the handlebar housing. It looks like the top hole and the bottom hole are not perfectly aligned and I'm not sure how to adjust them so that there are -- frustrating!!! confused.gif

I cannot get the left mirror stalk with the threaded end to completely go thru the handlebar housing. It looks like the top hole and the bottom hole are not perfectly aligned and I'm not sure how to adjust them so that there are -- frustrating!!!

I ran into the same problem. The casting has a ridge about halfway through the hole; you can feel it with your pinky. Get out your drill and a sharp bit that is the same diameter as the mirror stalk and run it through the hole. It will not take much effort and you will not hurt anything.

...Get out your drill and a sharp bit that is the same diameter as the mirror stalk and run it through the hole...

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

John Bentall
...Get out your drill and a sharp bit that is the same diameter as the mirror stalk and run it through the hole...

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

I spun the left hand mirror in - no drill -, thereby effectively "cutting the thread".

I did as you suggested, but I didn't see the casting ridge that you mentioned. I did however try to 'true up' the exit hole on the bottom. My mirror stalk still bottoms out in the handlebar housing right as the threads try to exit the bottom. The hole is more than large enough because I can enter the exit hole from the bottom VERY easily.

Maybe I'll visit my dealer this morning and see what they can tell me.

Tim_Klassen

I find myself the so called "riding captian" on tours and weekend rides and my past touring bikes with conventional handlebar mounted mirrors gave me the opportunity to move my handlebars when stopped at a light to scan the group behind me. I had much better rear visibility over a larger area with my past bikes. RT is fine but as I mentioned, I would like to see more of what's behind me.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. The mirrors are ordered!

Tim

Anybody try the stick-on mirrors from www.multivexmirrors.com? They show mirrors for the R1150RT, and I'm wondering if they'll fit the R1200RT?
They won't fit the R1200RT, the glass shape is different.

But I had them on our R1150RT and liked them for the most part. If they come out with some for the R1200RT I'd say they'd be worth trying. The only thing I didn't really care for is that the scratched easily.

Tim_Klassen

Ha!

Sorry Limecreek about the extended mirror post. And to think that I'm new here and that was my first question. Hope you all don't get sick of me too quickly1

Tim the mirror guy

Ok, this has got to be the longest mirror thread ever. Man, do we know how drill down on a topic or what? grin.gif

Hey, let's talk about tire valve stem caps next! Maybe someone can tell me how to install. dopeslap.gif

No, no, you're doing good. It's one of the things I love about this community.....deep into the details. thumbsup.gif

It's what sets us apart from the other ciber groups.

Anybody try the stick-on mirrors from www.multivexmirrors.com? They show mirrors for the R1150RT, and I'm wondering if they'll fit the R1200RT?
They won't fit the R1200RT, the glass shape is different.

But I had them on our R1150RT and liked them for the most part. If they come out with some for the R1200RT I'd say they'd be worth trying. The only thing I didn't really care for is that the scratched easily.

It is my understanding that the multivex guy will cut mirrors for the R12RT though I haven't yet contacted him. Friends swear by the mv mirrors on R11xx bikes.

Just a bit of info for all the UK readers............... wave.gif

I agree that the R1200RT mirrors are not great eek.gif. All I can see in mine are fingers and pannier tops blush.gif

Following earlier postings, I've just ordered a pair of 1150GS mirrors, from MotorWorks in Huddersfield, costing about £50 inclusive of post/packing etc.

I'll report soon on how they are. I'm going to Germany on holiday soon thumbsup.gifclap.gif, and travelling on the autobahn without adequate rearward vision could be an interesting experienceeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

John Bentall

Tim, the standard mirrors are rubber-mounted and give a crystal clear view of not very much. My 1150GS mirrors do vibrate and blur but I would not part with them now that I'm used to them. I got mine second hand from a breaker for £20 and had to tart them up a bit.

Tighten the nuts with a 6mm Allen Key.

Maybe we're just odd?

AD

True, never 2 up and mine are fine. Took a bit of fiddling and almost conterintuitive, I thought I wanted them pointed down more, but when I accidentally moved them up, I had a great view of what was behind. They work fine now.

Archived