IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Canada R1200RT/S/GS Clutch Recall Campaign 06-069

black99S

Just got my recall campaign notice. Interesting the difference in tone of language used between BMW Motorrad and Transport Canada.

"BMW AG has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety ... records indicate you are the owner of a POTENTIALLY affected motorcycle confused.gif ... This clutch was not designed according to specification eek.gif... Do Not Continue To Ride Your Motorcycle ... Failure to observe the following cautions ... could increase the risk of injury..."

Transport Canada was more explicit "... may suffer clutch assembly failure ... clutch fragments/debris being thrown through the engine block ... rider may receive serious injuries or death" lmao.gif

Got my attention. Now to get my Potentially? affected bike to the dealer (without riding it 'cause if I die on the way I've been warned) for inspection. Sounds like a supplier and not BMW designed the clutch blush.gif(not designed to specification) and BMW was not able to track serial #'s within the production lot that used the bad parts. Appears the dealer needs to inspect for bad parts to determine if Potential = Actual affected.

Not too happy about having a new bike Potentially pulled apart - good thing the dealer has 3 certified BMW technicians. Hope they practice on someone else's first.

BMW "sincerely apologize for any inconvenience ... wish to do everything we can to retain your confidence". Hmmm, everything?

I find out next week if I am a real or potential victim.

Yep, that's sounds familiar. Correct, it was a fault of the clutch supplier, I believe they changed manufacturers and they had a risk of the clutch breaking apart, doing basically what the Canadian warning said. I haven't heard of this actually happening, it was a small # of bikes affected. Does BMW Canada offer Roadside Assistance?? If so, use that to get it to the dealer at no cost. If not, have the svc mgr contact your local BMW rep to see if they will pay for/reimburse for towing. OR,, have the dealer come get it. I wouldn't ride it

gregpopovich

I just called the dealer where I bought my bike concerning this recall & she said they made the repair prior to me buying/picking up my bike. That was good news. She said they're doing it on all the new bikes right out of the crate.

I just called the dealer where I bought my bike concerning this recall & she said they made the repair prior to me buying/picking up my bike. That was good news. She said they're doing it on all the new bikes right out of the crate.

Right, not many bikes made it out to sale before the issue was found. Most were fixed at dealers before sale. In fact, sale was not allowed until repair, they were on Technical Hold

... not many bikes made it out to sale before the issue was found. Most were fixed at dealers before sale. In fact, sale was not allowed until repair, they were on Technical Hold

My dealer checked before I took delivery and there was no flag on the bike. They are checking again with BMW Canada. Apparently my bike falls within a 'range of VIN numbers'. Maybe that's why the letter stated 'Potentially affected' crazy.gif

I find out Monday.

Right, not many bikes made it out to sale before the issue was found. Most were fixed at dealers before sale. In fact, sale was not allowed until repair, they were on Technical Hold

Is this just an issue with '06 models or are '05s also affected? I have a fairly early '05 - purchased in May '05, but I haven't checked the build date.

Thanks!

The clutch recall was only on 2006 RT's. Only about 456 motorcycles ( In U.S. I think that # is good for )in total were affected ( RT, GS, GS Adv, HP2 ). The VIN range for the RT's was ZM18276-ZM18702

Ya know.... this is really old news and I'm not sure why you are just getting a notice in the mail now...

This "recall" was originally sent to Canadian dealers in March-April timeframe and very few bikes were involved.

Most of the bikes were updated before being delivered to customers and any that were in the field were picked up and taken to a dealer for repair.

BTW, more than RTs were involved RT, ST, and a few GS models could be part of this recall.

Ride your bike and don't worry about it!!

Ya know.... this is really old news and I'm not sure why you are just getting a notice in the mail now...

Most of the bikes were updated before being delivered to customers and any that were in the field were picked up and taken to a dealer for repair.

BTW, more than RTs were involved RT, ST, and a few GS models could be part of this recall.

Ride your bike and don't worry about it!!

Yup - 33 bikes total in Canada according to the recall. I don't really care why I get the letter now, or whether it is old news, but now that I've read the letter, if the bike blows up and I'm hurt, my recourse is limited as I was warned. My bike was PDI'd right out of the crate to me - at the time the dealer checked the clutch recall and it was clear. He is as perplexed as I. He is checking again. Oh, and prior to receiving the letter I've been riding the hell out of it.

Archived