IGNORED

Harbor Freight stand question

Bob Palin

I have a HF wheel stand for changing my tyres, the wheel is clamped in place but unless I put mondo force on it it still slips around when I get to the tough part of mounting. What do you use between the clamp and the wheel that would stop the wheel from slipping?

Bob,

I used a strap from the wheel spoke to the changer. The strap worked well to hold the wheel from slipping.

Just FYI, I also used strips of plastic cut from old milk bottles to help protect the rim from the clamp.

Good luck,

Bert Congdon smile.gif

Thanks, I actually thought of that while I was out in the garage a few minutes ago, I was explaining to Whip how Mitch's stand work and realised I could do the same thing. Sometimes things are just too obvious!

Hi Bob,

The strap idea sounds like a good one.

Is your problem of slipping when you are taking off a tire or putting a new one on? I’m sure you are using that slimy soapy stuff, but don’t forget to keep the beads in the center of the rim, it makes a big difference.The strap idea sounds like a good one.

Is your problem of slipping when you are taking off a tire or putting a new one on? I’m sure you are using that slimy soapy stuff, but don’t forget to keep the beads in the center of the rim, it makes a big difference especially when putting on a tire, using a “C” clamp is the best way to keep them both together and in the center. Also, I use a large adjustable clamp (next to the C clamp) to force the beads into the rim, that puts more tire to the side you are trying to force over. A video would be good about now huh? How bout I take a ride up there to show you? thumbsup.gif

Yesterday I changed the rear tire on my KLR. I used my HF and Mojo lever.

Boy, those tube-tires sure change easier than tubeless! I think it took me longer to get the air valve back in the hole, than it did to get the tire on! crazy.gif

I always stuggle getting the second side of the new tire on. And I have to do both tires on the RT in the next few weeks. I think I will go shopping for a big C-clamp.

I put on a big knarly MITAS rear tire, and it looked like it was going to be a struggle, but I warmed it in the sun, and I think that helped a lot. I sure holds the heat a long time, it was over 90F though.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I usually use a strap around the tire and rim to keep pressure on the tire and the beads in the center so the top bead doesn't "walk" itself off as I come around on the other side.

I usually use a strap around the tire and rim to keep pressure on the tire and the beads in the center so the top bead doesn't "walk" itself off as I come around on the other side.
I'll have to try that, two tyres to change today, it's so much easier with two people. Whip's IRC replacements arrived last night on the FedEx truck. It was so hard to get the last piece of the bead over on my front tyre, with loads of goop and pushing the opposite side in as much as I could, that I bent the center rod on the HF changer. I've also bent the nylon tip of the dismount end on Mitch's bar, I hate changing tyres...
Jim VonBaden

I use a small one and a piece of leather. Works great to keep the bead from slipping around.

01-tire-change-12.jpg

I also use some packing tape, reinforced kind, on my clamps and usually don't have slipping issues. Though, in the future, I think I will try the strap to hold it.

Jim cool.gif

Really good ideas that are all worth trying. Just changed out my front with all the usual hassles, But each time, i try something differant and it seems to get easier.

Archived