IGNORED

2002 1150RT ABS Help

markbc

Just bought a used 2002 1150RT, after about a 150 miles the brake warning light comes on with a quick flashing abs light. Full fluid, good pads, anyone got any ideas or is it off to the dealer for me.

Thanks

Well basically it's off to the dealer for you. There is no field way to check ABS failure codes on the 1150 (or the 1200s for that matter) that I've ever heard.

Thanks for replying, just called my local shop and they don't have an opening until Aug 9th. Ouch.

FYI They did say to check the rear turn signals, and brake light. If those burnt out that would also cause the failure to occur. I got my fingers crossed that it is one of those.

WeirdHarold

I had a similar symptom:

A few hundred miles after my dealer changed my front brake rotor, the ABS light would flash when I used the brake. I could reset it by stopping and restarting the engine, but it would come on again after a few stops.

Unfortunately, I was on a multi-day trip to Arkansas at the time.

The good folks at Bentonville BMW fixed my problem. They said that there wasn't enough brake fluid in the internal ABS circuit (I guess that's between the ABS control unit and the front wheel). They added brake fluid to this circuit and the problem went away.

They explained that the hand lever circuit and foot lever circuit go only to the ABS control unit, and that completely different circuits go to the wheels. They speculated that my dealer pushed the pistons in a bit when removing the front caliper from the rotor, and forgot to push them back out before topping up the brake fluid in that circuit.

Hope this info helps you.

Don

Just bought a used 2002 1150RT, after about a 150 miles the brake warning light comes on with a quick flashing abs light. Full fluid, good pads, anyone got any ideas or is it off to the dealer for me.

Thanks

Have you had the tank off to verify the fluid level? It could be a burned out bulb, but if the bike is used (and likely a few years old now--did you say 2002?) it's likely that the fluid in the wheel circuit under the tank is low. Check out the brake bleeding walk-through in the M/C FAQ section in the header here's part one, the other parts as well as a walk-through for removing the tupperware and tank are in the same section.

If that scares the pants off you and you've eliminated the brake light as the problem, then yes, it's off to the dealer with you. frown.gif

Thanks, It could very well be that. If checked everything else out. Once I pull the tank is there a sight glass to check the level? I might as well go get the parts and give it a try. All the BMW dealers in the Bay area are backed up until Aug 11th.

Thanks, It could very well be that. If checked everything else out. Once I pull the tank is there a sight glass to check the level? I might as well go get the parts and give it a try. All the BMW dealers in the Bay area are backed up until Aug 11th.

With the servo pump exposed there are two resevoir caps. When they are removed there are plastic lugs sticking out which show the level.

Andy

Archived