IGNORED

Oil cooler

BCRider

My oil cooler is becoming clogged with dead bug parts. I'm reluctant to use a pressure washer for obvious reasons. Anybody have a good and efficient way to clean it or am I stuck picking the pieces out.

I just use a hose set to a jet on the rear of the cooler to wash the bugs out of the front.

Andy

No, they get just as wet as when the rain is coming the other way. I live in England - it rains a LOT.

Andy thumbsup.gif

A pressure washer is fine. A hose is fine.

Water contacting wires is not a issue as the cooler is vented via tubes out the upper sides of your fairing.

That's why when you ride the bike your not on fire from the heat. Put your hand over the exaust vent as you ride next time. Your hand will get nice and hot even when gloved.

CMWingfield

Timmy,

I guess a water jet that is super powerful would knock all sorts of stuff loose, so one of those should be avoided. Moderate pressure won't hurt anything. Being from British Columbia, surely you encounter some rain when you're riding at speed? Quite invasive, but very few problems are reported. It's all good! With the exception of a few Hall's Sensor complaints, and once I got the oil pressure sender wet when I ran across a low water bridge with lots of water which gave a false reading on the oil pressure light, no problems! thumbsup.gif

Mike smile.gif

Rain in BC? Hardly ever these days. I guess when reading the rider's manual it say's not to use a pressure-washer it made me think twice. The hall sensor quit on me 20 miles from the dealership after picking it up this spring so hopefully that wont be an issue for a long time to come. Luckily I had a 30 day warranty on it so it was replaced without a problem.

About pressure washers. It's understandable that a manufacture would advise against it for obvious reasons. In the wrong hands they can cause problems.

Most consumer models are about 1500 psi or less. Used properly they are great tools for dirty jobs.

Now on the other hand if your thinking about using a gas fired 5000 plus washer...

Happened to a guy we know over in the Unimog world he thought all pressure washers are created equal and used the "big boy" and it cut right through some of his rubber oil lines

dopeslap.gif

My oil cooler is becoming clogged with dead bug parts. I'm reluctant to use a pressure washer for obvious reasons. Anybody have a good and efficient way to clean it or am I stuck picking the pieces out.

I've been thinking about solution to the "Bug" problem on my own 2000 R 1100 RT. cool.gif

I'm thinking that a guy could build a couple of "pop in"

screen assy.with a mesh cover that could be easily removed and back washed, if a person was real creative they could give it a bit of a domed shape just sticking out of the tupperware.I think that that would look very "custom"

Any thoughts? cool.gif

screen assy.with a mesh cover that could be easily removed and back washed

Already available product. You can also make your own with little trouble.

I have pressure washed my bikes for 25 years and as yet to have any related problem, just avoid full pressure on seal areas.

screen assy.with a mesh cover that could be easily removed and back washed

Already available product. You can also make your own with little trouble.

Tony

Do you know were I can get some info on the available screens? smile.gif

Thanks in advance

I got mine Bug Screen at Santa Cruz Bmw they sell the Wunderlich product line. In there online catalog it was about $70 but it took less than 10 min to get in place. It is simple and nice clean looking.You can probably make one for less that $10

If you let the bugs soak in detergent before hosing them from the back of the cooler then they will come off easier.

This is the method I have always used with success. No problems from the electrics either.

Archived