IGNORED

Bulletproof vest as motorcycle gear?

Effervescent

Effervescent

bullet-proof-vest.jpg

I rode for a few years with an old generation one for heat insulation (really works!). Now I see hi-tech ones that handle some pretty impressive rounds; http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4273782692748628134&q=.>45+submachine+gun

Do these vest offer protection for our purposes (as in, motorcycle crashes)? Do any folks ride with them? Are they legal in NYS?

Interesting in living as long as possible so I can keep on riding,

-Eff

Having worn one for a period of years...

The vest protects torso, generally the area of lesser concern to a motorcyclist. As a cyclist, I'm primarily concerned about extremity injuries (breaks/rash) and head injury.

They are good for blunt force trauma but as woodie said the chances of it being very useful on a bike crash is minimal. They can be hot as hell in the summer causing you to become dehydrated more quickly. They will keeep you warm in the winter. My son uses one of my old ones to play paint ball in.

Im not seeing much of a future in wearing it on the bike, unless you are going to piss off other riders intentionally.

Bud

An anecdote: When I lived in Virginia, my next door neighbor was an Alexandria police officer. He had been a motor officer for several years until he had a bad accident while on duty. He was responding to a silent alarm along with several other units, and was the third vehicle in a little blue light parade. Passing thru an intersection that had a bar on the corner (opaque windows, so you couldn't see around the corner), he was picked off by a big Jeep TravelAll that apparently did not see the previous two vehicles pass thru the intersection. His bike hit the Jeep so hard it broke just about everything you can break on a Harley. He impacted the left front fender with his chest. Everyone involved was convinced that if it had not been for his vest he would have died. We are all glad he was consistent in wearing his vest, even in the summer. Of course, they don't ATGATT so heat was not nearly the problem for him as it is for the rest of us.

So - vests can save your life. But only if the rest of your body doesn't get used up.

Wear a mesh jacket with the armor, the vest is a whole bunch hotter. As was stated above, it don't help ya when you land on an arm or your bean!

Archived