Harley going over the edge at Deal's Gap

Roadwolf

Someone posted this on another board...

Click on the "Harley Going Over Cliff" link at the top of the page. Also, check out the pictures on the homepage of the guy and girl on the bike losing it in the turn.

http://www.twistedlimit.com

or click here:

http://www.twistedlimit.com/cbr/Twistedlimit317.WMV

Love the comments from the passengers in the car, scared to stop for getting beat up.

Hope the rider was alright though.

bakerzdosen
Love the comments from the passengers in the car, scared to stop for getting beat up.
Yup - the woman pretty much summed it up. "Why would they doooooo that?" smile.gif

heh, heh.. funniest line I've heard in a long time!

"Dude, lets get outta here, they are gonna beat our a$$e$"

I'm thinking Harley rider was either going to fast to stay behind the cage, and committed to pass. OR he was just an idiot attempting to pass on a (essentially) blind corner (in the twistees).

Either way, Darwin clearly at work here...

What a classic. Clearly never learned how to turn. Notice he brakes and skids just before he hits the shoulder. I notice no change in his body position or the lean position of the bike at all. To me in Milwaukee, this is an example of what I see every day in terms of riding skill on these beasts.

I'll bet anything that they were scared because they were driving slow and didn't pull over. I can't think of any other reason why someone would attempt to pass on a winding mountain road with a double yellow line. As a matter of fact, just before the end of the video, it's possible to hear someone I would assume is the driver saying, "I'd have pulled over if there was a f*****g spot to pull over". Yeah, right. There WAS a spot to pull over. Starting from the beginning of the video, the road's first leftward bend had a little dirt turnout on the right that continued on until just before the road twisted to the right, and judging from what was visible, more than suitable for the van that they were driving.

That doesn't excuse the biker from passing on a double yellow, but still. I know when I'm tooling around in my truck on the open road, if people on two or four wheels are coming up behind me and there's no way for them to pass legally, I'll pull to the right as far as possible and wave them on or pull off the road and let them all pass.

Like you, if I'm in my work truck and see a bike behind me that would obviously like to get by, I'll move over and wave him/her past. These folks probably don't ride and just didn't give it a thought.

Having been on this road several times I would not assume from the video that this was a safe place to pull off or that the bikes at that time were behind the car. This is a very twisty road on which it is rare to see a car pulled over to allow passing. Finally, there is no reason an operator of a motor vehicle should be expected to leave the road to accomodate someone who wishes to exceed the speed limit (and yes I'll pull over too if it's practical). Bikes passing cars is a common occurance on the dragon but the bottom line here is the poor decisions and even poorer motorcycle control on the part of the rider should in no way reflect on the automobile driver who just happened to be there. Ya pays your money, ya takes yer chance.

"Dude, lets get outta here, they are gonna beat our a$$e$"

Yep, that orthodontist is gonna be pissed!!

R.U.B's!!!

That doesn't excuse the biker from passing on a double yellow, but still. I know when I'm tooling around in my truck on the open road, if people on two or four wheels are coming up behind me and there's no way for them to pass legally, I'll pull to the right as far as possible and wave them on or pull off the road and let them all pass.

this is Deals Gap, you don't know someone is coming up quickly behind you until they are passing, too many corners to ever see anyone coming up either way. And yeah there may have been a patch of gravel to partially pull out on but i'd be worried about doing that too as people come whipping through those turns all the time.

In this case, the Harley rider was just riding beyond his limits.. probably hadn't heard "look through the corner" either... and crossing the double yellow in Deals Gap is also just a fact of life lest you want to spend your day staring at the back of some dudes head in a miata who fancies himself as the next mario andretti!

The rider looks like he exceeded his riding abilities and I didn't see a place where I would have pulled over if I were the driver. Looks like a straight-forward case of bad judgement. I think most of us have been there at one time or another, even if we think we could have made that pass.

Regardless, I'm appalled at the anger and fear expressed by the people in that car. If somebody crashes, you stop and help. Hope he's not too badly hurt.

After he passes the van, he is already back in his own lane. Target fixation and scared to lean...notice how the guy behind him almost follows him over the edge.

russell_bynum
After he passes the van, he is already back in his own lane. Target fixation and scared to lean...notice how the guy behind him almost follows him over the edge.

Yep. From what I could see, he had a decent sight line to make the pass. He got around easily, and should have been able to just brake, and make the turn. Instead, he target fixated himself right off the road. The rider behind following him off was an even more classic case of target fixation.

The rider looks like he exceeded his riding abilities and I didn't see a place where I would have pulled over if I were the driver. Looks like a straight-forward case of bad judgement. I think most of us have been there at one time or another, even if we think we could have made that pass.

Regardless, I'm appalled at the anger and fear expressed by the people in that car. If somebody crashes, you stop and help. Hope he's not too badly hurt.

I thought so too. But then I saw the big guy at the end of the video, and changed my support to the van driver. Had there been just bike or two, I definately would have stopped, but I also don't want to be the subject of a pack of poorly trained, over aggressive rider's anger either. No matter what, I'm sure they would have blamed the van driver for the accident.

Having ridden the Dragon many times, I know that there's not much of a place to pull over. Yesterday, while up there, I discovered that the TN state DOT is putting in several turn offs now. The down side, is that there was loose gravel in just about every turn. As one of the other guys said, the pull offs on the right won't really let a full size vehicle get off the road, so it could have been just as hazardous to the next gang of bikes coming through the curves.

When you ride Deal's Gap aggressively, you've got to be on top of your game regardless of what you ride it on!!

In the sport bike fall off, did anyone notice the guy on the black sport bike right after Dumbo in the red shirt is seen walking around? Wasn't that Gleno sniffin' out parts? grin.gif

Also, check out the pictures on the homepage of the guy and girl on the bike losing it in the turn.

Hitting the ground without gear on is no fun. I had an up close and personal reminder last week when I low sided on my bicycle in a left hand corner at around 23 mph. The road rash on my left hip is still soaking through my clothes a week later and hurts like hell. The first thing I thought of as I was getting up off the ground was how much I appreciated my Stitch. Too bad you can't wear one on a bicycle. Lycra sucks.

I feel bad for the girl. I am sure she is hurting and nursing some serious road rash on her arm.

The two riders on the cruisers could have easily completed that turn, but their brains got in the way--fear is not your friend when piloting a motorcycle. I hope the guy that went over the edge is ok.

I think that "they're gonna beat our a$$e$$" is an admission of some guilt. He was probably going slow, but there are two points in the video where the car seems to go at an angle to the double yellow. This happens one turn before the pass. It is possible the riders were trying to pass and the car driver drifted in front of them. They then stupidly over cooked the next pass attempt. Maybe he was trying to block passing??

Firefight911

Heck with all that! I personally like seeing the Honda Goldwing GL1800 coming up behind the sportbiker who has his knee on teh ground!

That Goldwing rider must be late for his reservation at the next restaurant!!!!!!!!!

Click HERE and scroll down a bit! lmao.gif

wrestleantares
I saw that,too. I'd like to know what the sportbiker thought when he saw a Wing on his butt! eek.gif

You mean I could be doing this with:

A comfortable seat

A case of beer in the back

Wind protection

While blasting my stereo

etc...

Joe Frickin' Friday
I think that "they're gonna beat our a$$e$$" is an admission of some guilt. He was probably going slow, but there are two points in the video where the car seems to go at an angle to the double yellow.

It's not so much an admission of guilt as an assertion that they will be perceived as guilty (whether justly or not) by the riders. "Your slow driving FORCED me to make a desperate pass that exceeded my skills; my friends and I will now beat your asses."

As to crossing the DY...I think the panning of the camera by its operator creates this illusion. In any event, even if they were crossing DY here and there, it didn't happen in any way during the ill-fated pass. That guy done crashed all by hisself.

Les is more

I saw that,too. I'd like to know what the sportbiker thought when he saw a Wing on his butt!

He thought, "Hey! David Baker must have rented another Wing!"

Of course they're guilty, of driving a minivan at deals gap, I'd be afraid of being whupped for that too.

Sometimes I'm afraid I'll get whupped for riding a beemer.

While I agree that a GS could climb up and out of the holler I will also submit that any BMW made since the inception of the marque could have negotiated the bend quite handily. (except with a sidehack perhaps).

Regards. RT Fink

russell_bynum
I saw that,too. I'd like to know what the sportbiker thought when he saw a Wing on his butt! eek.gif

"I hate it when I have to pass big yellow Gold Wings in corners."

wrestleantares
Of course they're guilty, of driving a minivan at deals gap, I'd be afraid of being whupped for that too.

Sometimes I'm afraid I'll get whupped for riding a beemer.

While I agree that a GS could climb up and out of the holler I will also submit that any BMW made since the inception of the marque could have negotiated the bend quite handily. (except with a sidehack perhaps).

Regards. RT Fink

Any Harley could have as well.

Wasn't the bike it was the rider. No bike will turn if you don't lean it.

The rider on that yellow Wing is called "Yellow Wolf". He is the guy that videos the bikes going through the Gap. And he does a great job of it. I have not heard of any sportbike getting away from him yet.

Be careful when you pick on Wing(1800) riders. There are some of us out there that will leave you in the dust! And the Wing does not mind doing it 2 up.

Ed Kruse "Speed Nut"

Naples, Fl

'06 R1200RT

'02 GL1800

My read of it the GW is the only one getting respect in this. Riding a big bike well.

Heck with all that! I personally like seeing the Honda Goldwing GL1800 coming up behind the sportbiker who has his knee on the ground!

Haven't noticed any GW picking.

This is a very twisty road on which it is rare to see a car pulled over to allow passing.

I rode the Dragon this last Tuesday, and had 3 cars pull over to let me pass. Many of the curves are extra wide with plenty of room for a car to pull over and wave a biker by if they want to. I don't think they are obligated to do this, but I waved my appreciation and moved on by to resume a more fun velocity. I understand the police are patrolling that road more closely now (especially on weekends), and in fact I did pass one state trooper going the opposite way.

Jay

I think that "they're gonna beat our a$$e$$" is an admission of some guilt. He was probably going slow, but there are two points in the video where the car seems to go at an angle to the double yellow.

It's not so much an admission of guilt as an assertion that they will be perceived as guilty (whether justly or not) by the riders. "Your slow driving FORCED me to make a desperate pass that exceeded my skills; my friends and I will now beat your asses."

As to crossing the DY...I think the panning of the camera by its operator creates this illusion. In any event, even if they were crossing DY here and there, it didn't happen in any way during the ill-fated pass. That guy done crashed all by hisself.

Mitch, there have been several times I didn't agree with you, but this time you're batting 1000! I too think the camera was giving the illusion that the van was swerving. I also didn't notice anything irratic about the driver when the HOGs were making their pass. I think there was a good deal of frustration by the bikers (and haven't we ALL been there?) and they got themselves in over their heads. Wednesday I had the pleasure of riding Deal's Gap and Cherohala with a new found biker buddy. I have always either ridden the course solo or with some cruiser buddies. This time I was with a good rider setting a pace I had never attempted. He was a good leader, but part way through Cherohala, either hunger or daydreaming got in my way and I started riding very sloppy. Scared the doodie out of myself not once, but twice. After that, I got my head back in the game and ran a better line after that. Moral: My new found riding buddy didn't do anything or cause anything. I just got lazy and almost paid the price. Same thing the guys in the video did. Only, I was luckier than they. No matter what you ride, you have to have your head in the game!

bakerzdosen

So, that whole "rant" got "modded" I guess? I was reading through the whole thing to try to make some sense out of it, and then it just sort of disappeared...

If somebody crashes, you stop and help. Hope he's not too badly hurt.

In that situation, what good would that do? There were lots of people on the scene to help. Stopping a van in the middle of the road with blind corners both ways would have been more dangerous. Good call to keep going

beno

WeirdHarold
In that situation, what good would that do? There were lots of people on the scene to help.

I can think of three possibilities:

- A van could carry injured people to hospitals much more easily than motorcycles could. How long does it take for an ambulance to arrive in that area?

- Perhaps a seat or piece of luggage could be removed from the van to serve as a backboard, and other things that could be used for first aid (splints, blankets ...)?

- The van occupants were better witnesses than the other people who arrived after the accident. Their testimony (and the video) would be useful in accident reconstruction.

Don

In that situation, what good would that do? There were lots of people on the scene to help.

- A van could carry injured people to hospitals much more easily than motorcycles could. How long does it take for an ambulance to arrive in that area?

- Perhaps a seat or piece of luggage could be removed from the van to serve as a backboard, and other things that could be used for first aid (splints, blankets ...)?

- The van occupants were better witnesses than the other people who arrived after the accident. Their testimony (and the video) would be useful in accident reconstruction.

Don

With the number of accidents they have on the Dragon one would think there would be a meat wagon waiting just down the hill.

I was standing at a pullout on the parkway near deals, when I semi-noticed/heard a harley headed downhill behind me. Few seconds later, and BANG! I turn around and this guy is headed for the cliff on a big Electra Glide with his wife on the back.

He laid it over in the grass before he went over, not 10 feet from the edge, lucky for him. Apparently, he turned left into the pullout, on the downhill entrance, and didn't make the turn. Hit the big curb before laying it down in the grass. Too fast for his skills. Close one, just feet from going over, I'll never forget that sight!

I agree that it was the angle that made the truck look like it was crowding the yellow. Check the white line on the R. Makes it look like he was in the ditch most of the time.

The dresser was going downhill, grabbed too much throttle, got back in the lane but was way too hot to make the next one. Actually, there is considerable value to getting on the brakes hard while you stay real upright, then easing off and tossing it through the corner. The alternative being tossing it into the corner, get a little brake and have the saddlebags pass in front of you.

Real lucky there wasn't anyone coming the other way. That's the only reason I could see me taking that line. Plus I'd have bailed just as soon as I hit the soft stuff.

Bob

wrestleantares

Unless their is a good chance of imminent death or very few injuries at all you really should not be moving the victim.

The backboard idea is crazy. I'm sorry, but unless you are a trained first responder you have no business even thinking about a backboard. Splints and blankets. There's plenty of trees, and guys with leather gear to cover a victim going into shock.

Agreed on that one, but still, the immediate area looked like an unsafe place to stop. They would be better off going a little ahead - pulling off properly and waving oncoming traffic to slow down.

As a trained First Responder I know that there is probably not anything on that RV that is going to help me out anymore than what I can get from the bikers. For everyones information - in reference to the backboard idea. You can be sued for going beyond your training/ability in North Carolina even with the Good Samaritan law.

Don

Couchrocket
"Hey! David Baker must have rented another Wing!"
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Actually, that's "Yellow Wolf" from Waynesville, NC. He's somewhat notorious among the 1800 crowd. He's spanked more than his share of bikes on his 1800. I think he's a bit nuts, but he can make the big bike haul butt in the twisties.

Archived