IGNORED

How many times can you do it?

Ian

Bought my 2000 R1100RT new 24,000 miles ago. Kept adjusting only at the lever end. Yesterday with the correct lever clearance still available all adjustment is now "used up".

I know and understand the clutch adjustment procedure and have bought a 13mm tube socket to cut up to make the locknut holding tool.

My question is: If I reset at the gearbox now how many times might I expect to be able to repeat this (at the gearbox) before I might have to get a clutch plate replacement?

Ian

ShovelStrokeEd

To be facetious, it will depend on how well you do it. It will depend on your riding technique more than anything else. A clutch disk is a wear item, just like brake pads. I think the adjustment you are referring to is part of the 12K mile inspection and I know of many riders who have gone over 70K miles without the need to replace the clutch disk (at least for wear on the friction surface). I don't think it is of real concern.

Clive Liddell

I have ~80000km on the 1100RT and have not had to adjust the clutch yet. R850R also has ~80000km and I may have adjusted it once or twice but not more than 3/4 of a turn in total.

So I suppose that with my "normal" use of the clutch over the 24K miles the full lever adjustment range has been taken up mainly by cable stretch. If this were not the case then you guys with the high mileage would have adjusted at the gearbox many more times than you have.

Conversely if I now reset the lever and readjust at the gearbox there will be no more cable stretch and my lever adjustment should be less frequent

thanks

Ian

Archived