IGNORED

Top case stop strap broken

dmueller

Hello BMW Riders!

I came out to my 2004 BMW R1150RT the other day, opened my top case, and the freeking lid went straight to the seat. Normally, it's caught by that handy strap on the recoiler thing on the lower left side of the case.

So the strap appears to be all recoiled into that device.

Any of you kind folks ever experienced this? How does one either fish out the strap, or, maybe dismantle the device to gain access to the strap?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Yes I have currently the same problem. The plastic lug on the kid has split in half so the tape is now useless. I might try epoxying it back together.

I think you could take the reel apart to get at the tape end

Ian

I've often thought a better set up would have the same sort of unit on both sides of the lid rather than just the left.

I've often thought a better set up would have the same sort of unit on both sides of the lid rather than just the left.

Then they could charge $1200 for a new top case thumbsup.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You do have to disassemble the top case to get at the 'reel' and no separate replacement parts for it are available from BMW.

You could either rig up some sort of non-retracting strap like the newer models have, or find a road crashed case to salvage the parts from I suppose.

Archived