IGNORED

Cat Code Plug (CCP) pulling revisited... What BMW rep and tech had to say today.

Willie

After my 18k checkup and brake/clutch bleed, I thought I would stop by the dealer and have them hook up my bike to look for and codes that were triggered. Well, when I told the Service Manager to give the brakes and clutch a squeeze to amke sure everything was cool since this was the 1st time I ever did it, he sighed and in a snobbish type of response said he has yet to see anyone do this right and he would be surprised done properly. Well long story short, no fault codes and yes, he was surprised. Brakes tested good clap.gif Getting back on track now. I had told the tech after teh testing that i just wanted to make sure evrything is right because The bike ran great for about a week and then out of the blue, I was getting the good ole surge back. Bike went to whole 6,000mi before without surging. Thought maybe a cable settled in differently or something and that I would just redo my TBS. This started a rather in depth discussion between myself and the tech. I was stating everything I though on the subject and he was stating his. Very nice guy and genuinely seemd liked he tries to stay on top of this stuff. Anyway, he then said, "I even has a guy pull the cat code plug out of his bike and he did say it helped a little". I told him that I had pulled mine out almost 10,000 miles ago and that when I did I noticed a noticable difference for the better. At that moment a guy sprang to his feet from a desk around the corner and chimed in that that was one of the worst things I could do. Ta Dah!!! The BMW Rep has SPOKEN tongue.gif He said that I am destined to burn a valve or put a hole in a piston. The more the tech and the rep talked I could tell by the digs that the tech was getting in on the BMW rep that he didn't agree with the way they are told to do things. I started stating the fact that RT's in different countries have different plugs or no plugs and rep said that that didn't matter. They are setup differently and have different throttle bodies confused.gif ETC. By me pulling the plug he said that now the bike thinks its a R or a GS or something. That pulling the plug might make it run richer(and better) down bottom, but on the long runs down the highway makes it run way too lean hence causing the valve/piston problems. Told me to put it back in or risk engine damage. I understand that they are probably programmed to do this, but how many of you out there have ACTUALLY had problems because of pulling the plug. I am guessing VERY few. I even brought up the fact that they don't know how the bikes that blew were ridden and that mine never gets lugged and is always cruising around in the 4000-4500rpm range with spirited runs not being a stranger. Just wanted to see what everyone has to say on the subject and if anyone has damage from CCP pulling. I could tell the his was a sore subject between the tech and the rep, because tech said everytime he brings this up at BMW school it is dismissed quickly and that is because BMW doesn't want to admit to the problem because they don't know how to fix it. He said this right in front of the rep grin.gif If you guys could only see the looks being exchanged between the 2 of them. PRICELESS! Terry

's

If the US bikes have different throttle bodies to the European bikes why do they have the same part number.

The Rep was talking through his butt. All the cat-code plug does is pick differing mode maps for the motronic, no plug is just one of the eight available. Why would BMW programme in an engine damaging map?

Sheesh - I wish I could have been with you to see the cat-fight grin.gif

Andy

I pulled the plug on my 1150 at about 2500 miles until selling the bike at 21000. The only thing that happened to my bike is that it ran smoother and I lost a MPG or two. The trade off was worth it.

Well said, the man from Leicestershire smile.gif

Cheers

Tracy

If the US bikes have different throttle bodies to the European bikes why do they have the same part number.

The Rep was talking through his butt. All the cat-code plug does is pick differing mode maps for the motronic, no plug is just one of the eight available. Why would BMW programme in an engine damaging map?

Sheesh - I wish I could have been with you to see the cat-fight grin.gif

Andy

MichiganBob

Typical company CYA rap. I've been hearing versions of this since I bought my first Beemer in 71. I remember the rap back then about how you don't have to lubricate the splines in the rear wheel. Talk about a prelude to disaster. I wonder how many expensive recalls there have been for BMW motorcycles over the years? Not many I bet as it would call for an admission of error which this company seldom admits to.

Ride safe.

Bob

...Why would BMW programme in an engine damaging map?...

Obviously - So that the engine will burn up before damaging the clutch splines! crazy.gif

Interesting how they will make up crap where no problem exists, yet refuse to acknowledge a real problem that has been brought to their attention countless times! dopeslap.gif

... tech said everytime he brings this up at BMW school it is dismissed quickly and that is because BMW doesn't want to admit to the problem because they don't know how to fix it.

If Techlusion knows how to completely eliminate surging (and it does), BMW knows, too.

Joe Frickin' Friday
... tech said everytime he brings this up at BMW school it is dismissed quickly and that is because BMW doesn't want to admit to the problem because they don't know how to fix it.

If Techlusion knows how to completely eliminate surging (and it does), BMW knows, too.

Techlusion doesn't have to meet any emissions requirements; BMW does, which really, really complicates things.

The service manager over there highly recommended the Techlusion. I was reading up on the fix for the V-Strom's surging problems and they can be plugged into a computer and the mixtures just bumped up by the tech in whatever increments they want in the low/mid/top parts of the rpm range. A 5% boost in the low and mid I think is what takes the surge out. Wish it was that easy with the BMW. I'm not buying a Techlusion. I got it not to surge before, I can do it again. I'm not sure if they reset the Motronic when done hooking it up to the computer or not, but the surge was almost gone on the ride home. These things can be fickle as hell sometimes confused.gif

I just pulled the LPB about 1200 miles ago. My bike had minor surging before but it was noticable. Mostly wanted to see if the would make any difference...I immediately was aware of the improvement after removing. thumbsup.gif

Haven't calculated fuel consumption yet...

A 5% boost in the low and mid I think is what takes the surge out.
And (about) a 5% boost would raise the mixture ratio from a rather lean 14.7:1 to the more optimal 13.8:1. Those two things are not a coincidence. wink.gif
I just pulled the LPB about 1200 miles ago. My bike had minor surging before but it was noticable. Mostly wanted to see if the would make any difference...I immediately was aware of the improvement after removing. thumbsup.gif

Haven't calculated fuel consumption yet...

Last trip I figured 46mpg

So should I pull the CCP & ditch the Techlusion? crazy.gif

You can try it, but there is comparison on my bike. I pulled my CCP before getting the Techlusion. Tried several different color CCPs, too, and GS tubes. Of course, this was after flyspecking TB sync, valve clearances, new plugs, etc., etc., all spot-on spec. Pulling the CCP made my bike feel and sound "hoarse" and rough -- and although it helped the surge, it didn't eliminate it, and there was an awful weak spot in power between 4-5k rpm that wasn't there before. Trying to cruise in local traffic at 4k rpm yielded a yowling kind of growl. Shoot, gimme back the surge and stop the yowl! But the Techlusion completely eliminated surge even at settings that are about a third of the recommended defaults without affecting performance, while maintaining the stock sound and feel. You can tell I like my Techlusion. thumbsup.gif

....I understand that they are probably programmed to do this, but how many of you out there have ACTUALLY had problems because of pulling the plug. I am guessing VERY few.

Well I swapped the LPB for the LGB and noticed a huge improvement in throttle response (almost no surging), and there was no change to gas mileage.

I swapped the CCP around 20k and at 48k I burned an exhaust valve. I don't think it was due to the CCP though, and the (new) dealer didn't think so too. He thought the previous dealer adjusted them too tight.

I am at 72k now and still running the LGB without a worry (except for the crazy cager that tried to swerve into me this morning).

D

except for the crazy cager that tried to swerve into me this morning).D

If only there was an "upgrade" available to solve THAT problem!

Apparently, all the LPB is just a plastic box that contains a single jumper wire that connects 2 of 6 possible connections.(different fuel paths.) Can you look on the bottom of the Little GREEN bastard and tell me which 2 male plugs mate with what number socket?(they're numbered) wave.gif

Apparently, all the LPB is just a plastic box that contains a single jumper wire that connects 2 of 6 possible connections.(different fuel paths.) Can you look on the bottom of the Little GREEN bastard and tell me which 2 male plugs mate with what number socket?(they're numbered) wave.gif
Check here (a few paragraphs down).

Archived