IGNORED

anybody repainted their R12RT yet...??

John Moylan

John Moylan

Just wondering if anyone has re-painted their RT yet. I'm getting used to the look of it, but some of the paint/finish choices from the factory are bizarre.

I particular, I'm wondering if anyone has painted in the contrasting panels to be the same as the main body colour - especially a silver one.

Likewise on the new KGT....

I agree about the bizarre colours, and it sounds like the 07 model colours are going to be even more bizarre (Sand?????)

Much as I love my red R12RT I was really hoping blue would be a factory colour. Only painted one I've seen is the blue one on the Wunderlich website (www.wunderlich.co.uk)... looks pretty cool, apart form the whacking great Wunderlich W on the side, of course. I keep trying to imagine what it would look like if it said R1200RT in big letters on the side instead or had a BMW roundel...

One panel that has really caught my attention is the style of the upper front on the R1200RTP R900RTP. Not sure if it is paint or decals, but I like it and think it would go well on my Dark Graphite and silver R1200RT

rt_police.jpg

John Moylan

Actually, that's just a nice colour overall. I like the idea of a 900 even better than a 1200.......

Re:

The color choices for the bottom panel.

I have always wondered if the two choices so far, a matte silver, and a matte dark gray (black) are maybe a paint chosen to withstand the high temps encountered next to the header pipe there?

Where previous generation RT's would bubble the paint in that area (in some high temp situations), maybe now the paint chosen would withstand higher temps a bit better?

Dunno, just speculation.

I like the idea of a 900 even better than a 1200.......

Why? It's not as though the 1200 is way overpowered or extremely fuel inefficient... and I doubt that consumables such as tyres will be significantly different on a 900, though insurance costs would probably be reduced, thoguht here in the UK R12RT insurance is very cheap (£160 per annum fully comprehensive) through BMW Insurance

John Moylan

well over here insurance is anything but cheap, and bmw insurance is driven by the list price of the bike, hence BMW's always being more expensive to insure, not less, despite any perceived 'lower risk' status......

As for 900/1200, I'm still stuck on an 1150 y'understand, but I find the 1150 too tall geared, almost to the point of annoying, as the majority of roads here compare to your B and some A classfication.....a smaller motor would be smoother and better able to operate at peak than my current RT. And there's too much clutch work in traffic compared to the K's.........did I read somewhere about someone changing the final drive unit to a lower one (from a GS) for this reason..........??

John Dickens on this board (member 981 wave.gif), from Tyneside iirc......rides an R850RT with the moniker "small ones are more juicy', so if you see this post John, jump in!!

Besides, with the weight saving and improved power levels generally, a 900 wouldn't actually be any slower in a real-world sense..........I can't say speed is something my bike lacks.

Here's the 07 production percentages for the new colors:

(R1200RT)

Titan Silver 45%

Biarritz Blue 45%

Sand Beige 10%

Looks like there won't be alot of sand. I'm really curious to see what it will look like. But it's safe to say there won't be a whole lot of them in comparison to the other colors!

Hi John

Sometimes I think that first gear on the r1200rt is way to high... interesting that they have used a lower one on the police bikes, so that they can trickle in traffic more easily. Pulling away two up, on a steepish road always leaves me with the great smell of clutch :-(

(R1200RT)

Titan Silver 45%

Biarritz Blue 45%

Sand Beige 10%

Looks like there won't be alot of sand. I'm really curious to see what it will look like. But it's safe to say there won't be a whole lot of them in comparison to the other colors!

do you have actual pictures of the new colors ?? blush.gif

(R1200RT)

Titan Silver 45%

Biarritz Blue 45%

Sand Beige 10%

do you have actual pictures of the new colors ?? blush.gif

Don't most GS's come in Sand Beige grin.gif

Steve

Don't most GS's come in Sand Beige grin.gif

Steve

Yeap but what about the blue ???? grin.gif

I am guesting that it would be something like the good old (like wine smirk.gif) blue we are used to from the R 1150 RT !!!!! Hope it does grin.gif

Archived