Shifting woes

HudsonJim

2000 R1100RT with 13,600 miles. When stone cold, shifting up or down no problems. But once to operating temp, down shifting from 3rd to 2nd is impossible 20% of the time unless I jam down on lever or found out today, pull clutch, press on shifter and if it doesn't go, to easy off a bit and then press again, goes right in. Never had issue before yesterday. Sync fluids in box and rear end at 6K and 12K. No metal chunks on magnets, clutch adjusted correctly and checked connections at shift lever to trans. Is this an early sign of trans misalingnment or spline lube?? Thoughts or has anyone experienced? Thanks.

Two common causes (well three, but you say the clutch is adjusted correctly):

One small - Loose or bent shift linkage

One large - Spline lube or sline wear issues.

If you are confident in the other things you have checked so far, then yes, I would say your next step is to tear the bike apart and check the splines. Do a search on the board and you'll come up with more info than you ever wanted to know about splines.

...When stone cold, shifting up or down no problems. But once to operating temp...

Its likely this isn't so much a temperature issue per se, but more the result of riding hard enough to apply sufficient torque to the worn splines to get them jammed up in the clutch plate, making shifting possible. As you have discovered, backing off of the pressure allows the splines to bust loose, freeing the clutch plate and removing the excessive preload on the gear train.

Question: Why is it predominantly an issue between gears 2 and 3? Spline condition would not improve or change at other gear positions. If it was the splines I would expect the other gears to be affected to the same degree.

My bike has been prone to this since day one. When the difficult down shift occurs it is always the same conditions, a significant down grade. Increasing revs frees it up for the downshift as you describe. I've been living with this for 72,000 miles now so I guess it is not a big issue.

My bike 2003 1150RT

Doug

Question: Why is it predominantly an issue between gears 2 and 3? Spline condition would not improve or change at other gear positions. If it was the splines I would expect the other gears to be affected to the same degree.

Who can say. Too many variables to make any verifiable conclusion. Each bike is a little different, and no two riders shift the same way. In my case, I was having the most trouble shifting down out of 2nd, but also noticed similar difficulty shifting down out of 5th. Maybe I downshift harder in those gears while he's harder on 3rd. The amount of misalignment in each bike is different too creating other factors. Some bikes (like mine) fail quickly once the symptoms manifest, while others can run for years...

TracerBullet

2004 1150... mine does the same thing. Had it to the dealer twice. I am not ready to rip the bike apart to look at the splines but it has been doing it for about 8000 miles. It has not gottten any worse, I can go for a week or more wthout any symptoms then it will do it a couple of times on the way to work, or home

Same symptoms for me on my Nov 03 1150RT.

I removed the starter motor and examined the splines (as best I could) and all seemed to be fine from what I could see. I also made sure there was no excessive free rotational play on the friction plates etc and then put it all back together. Of course, this check is not going to expose any misalignment problems but i plan to do it on a regular basis and keep a particular eye on the rotational play between the splines and the clutch plates. (details elsewhere on the forum)

While re-assembling I greased and checked all shift linkages and funnily enough, since I did this my troubles seem to have gone away.

Hopefully your issues are not to serious. I do know of others who seem to have shift issues in very hot weather on RT's. Maybe you should change the grade of transmission fluid and see if that helps?

Archived