IGNORED

TB air screws are both locked tight on the housing, got them lose

KDeline

I was able to get them out by filing down a screwdriver so that I had to tap it into the slot then used a pliers on the screwdriver to turn it while pushing on the end, long process, but they came free. Some whitish power came out, like corrosion, probably because I rode all winter long in the salt. So I cleaned them up and put a little grease on, hopefully they will not tighten up again.

ShovelStrokeEd

Yeah, it isn't common but could easily happen. The whitesh powder is probably aluminum oxide. Getting a saline solution up on the threads, which, I think, are outside the O-rings, could easily lead to that corrosion. The aluminum throttle bodies, in the best of conditions, don't really like to be associated with brass, now add a bit of corrosion and you have a problem. Nicely done on fitting a screwdriver blade to the slots, it is the right thing to do. A little valve grinding paste on the blade will also help with bite.

The grease is a good idea as well but there is better stuff, KopperKote (sp) or just a plain anti-sieze woud probably be better if you feel up to removing them again. Avoid this stuff on the O-ring but a tiny little bit worked into the threads with a finger will help a bunch.

I like to lubricate the O-rings with a very thin film of Dow Corning vacuum grease. It is a pretty high temperature grease as well and the tiny amount I use shouldn't ever be an issue for the catalytic converter. The stuff does contain silicone which is bad for cats.

This is not exactly on the same topic, but related.

I haven't yet attempted a TB synch. I'm heading out on a trip in a week and will leave well enough alone until I get back just in case I futz it up.

However, in looking at the TB screws it appears as if the previous person who did a TB synch put a small drop of loctite or something similar on the edge of threads where they screw in the body -- I'm assuming to prevent the screws from moving due to vibration. I don't know yet if this will make it difficult to adjust them or not (i.e. how easily the bond will break). Again, it's only a small drop.

Is this common practice? My manuals or other primers on TB synchs I've found online don't mention doing this. Will the screws hold their position without any help?

Archived