IGNORED

Spline Lube

KeithS

My RT passed 45,000 on the way back from the MOA. I mentioned to some others that I was planning to have my dealer do a spline lube when I returned. They seemed surprised by this. One claimed that the spline lube was no longer recommended for the newer RT's.

Who's right?

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Do you have an symptoms that would indicate the need for a spline lube? If you don't I wouldn't bother. It's a big job. I did mine in March and wouldn't do one just for the sake of doing it.

Mark

Sounds like you might have an honest dealer thumbsup.gif

If we're talking clutch splines, my dealer rec's a lube at 70,000 for my 2000RT. And here we are at 69,600 miles and the symptons are appearing. crazy.gif

Keith, I did mine with 15,000 mi on the clock !

I experienced NO shift problems prior to disassembly or any other symptoms.

So why did i take it apart?

• 1. I bought it used with 5,600 miles
    2. 6yrs old even though it wasn't even broke in yet.
    3. I neede a base line to have an idea of what condition it was in in.

It is a big job, but I disagree with BMW & I will never listen to some dealer for service recommendations.

What I saw on my bike, & how the grease had all but gone (dried up), It will come back apart around 45-50K range agian.

BTW I do all my own work, so I'll make it a winter project.

Just my 2cents worth.

DaveyMac thumbsup.gif

Keith, I did mine with 15,000 mi on the clock !

I experienced NO shift problems prior to disassembly or any other symptoms.

So why did i take it apart?

• 1. I bought it used with 5,600 miles
    2. 6yrs old even though it wasn't even broke in yet.
    3. I neede a base line to have an idea of what condition it was in in.

It is a big job, but I disagree with BMW & I will never listen to some dealer for service recommendations.

What I saw on my bike, & how the grease had all but gone (dried up), It will come back apart around 45-50K range agian.

BTW I do all my own work, so I'll make it a winter project.

Just my 2cents worth.

DaveyMac thumbsup.gif

Moly paste will dry up, the moly absorbs onto the spline surface so the joint will - should even - look dry. If there were grease hanging around here it would find its way onto the clutch surface. This is why BMW say you only need to re-grease on clutch replacement, the new clutch has no moly on its splines.

There is an opinion, that I subscribe to, that spline wear is due to component miss-alignment and not lack of lube. YMMV.

Andy

One claimed that the spline lube was no longer recommended for the newer RT's.
BMW has never recommended lubing the splines as preventative maintenance. Field experience would tend to prove them wrong.

Archived