where do the vacuum hoses go?

majordad

I was washing my bike yesterday and notice the vacuum hose that comes from the evaporative canister is quick tied to two other hoses coming out from the engine compartment somewhere. all three where just hanging down not attached to anything. Is this supposed to be this way? I assume not because the evaporative canister vacuum line should be attached to something, like the gas tank. I have no performance problems and get the same fuel mileage as when new.

You should check your manual or look at MAXBMW parts fiche. Should be able to trace it down.

God forbid any hint of cannisterectomy comes up! If it starts, you have a moral responsibility to stop the carnage that can result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek.gifbncry.gif

Yep, my RT has three also, right behind the rear brake pedal.

One for the fuel filler to drain rain water away. One fron the charcoal cannister on case of fueltank over flow, and the third uhhhhh someone chime in here ooo.gif

I'm not sure but I think the third one goes to a purge valve that then leads to the throttle bodies. or it could be the rollover valve.

Yep, my RT has three also, right behind the rear brake pedal.

One for the fuel filler to drain rain water away. One fron the charcoal cannister on case of fueltank over flow, and the third uhhhhh someone chime in here ooo.gif

Conventional battery overflow hose.

What do I win....huh?huh?huh? smile.gif

Mick

On the R1150RT there are four hoses total that drain/vent at the bottom of the bike. They are:

Fuel tank filler neck water drain

Charcoal canister purge valve vent

ABS unit vent

Battery vent

If you have three showing, likely the battery one was removed when it was switch to a sealed battery.

shouldn't these three be attached to something or are they open to air? I have yet pulled the moldings to look everything over.

Not attached to anything. They're all vents which allow air in and out, except the fuel filler drain, which lets rain water drain from the area around the filler neck seal.

The only vacuum lines that are connected are the two lines that run from the TB's to the purge valve, the line from the purge valve to the charcoal cannister and the line from the charcoal cannister to the fuel tank vent.

Archived