IGNORED

Torque angles

cabbage

Can anybody explain this?

This is from the r1100rt manual and relates to the retightening of the cylinder head bolts.

1.2.Tighten nut to init. torque ....................... 20 Nm

1.3.Tighten nut to specified wrench angle....... 180°

Does this mean that following the initial torque I turn the nut a further half a turn?

Cabbage

Can anybody explain this?

This is from the r1100rt manual and relates to the retightening of the cylinder head bolts.

Does this mean that following the initial torque I turn the nut a further half a turn?

Cabbage

Yes, that is it exactly. Personaly I would do this in two 90 degree turns, in the specified tightening sequence.

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday

Cabbage

Yes, that is it exactly. Personaly I would do this in two 90 degree turns, in the specified tightening sequence.

Depends what's being done.

If you're installing the cylinder head, yes, the manual is pretty specific about tightening everythign to 20NM, then tightening everything 1/4 turn, then tightening everything another 1/4 turn.

If you're re-torquing the head 600 miles after installation, then you loosen one fastener, tighten it to 20NM, then tighten it a 1/2, turn, then move on to the next fastener. Whenever you're working on one fastener, the other three are left full-tight.

Archived