IGNORED

Just saw a squid go down

rocks

I was just now returning to my office following a young male on a bike. He was helmeted but wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. We had just exited town still on a sweeping corner when he proceeds to goose it and bring the front end up in a wheelie. When he came down he was very hot in the corner and crossed the divider and ran head on in a vehicle. Bike looked totalled, Lady in the car was pretty shook up needless to say. The kid landed on the hood of the car so there was no road rash but he was not too coherent. Took out the windshield of the car. Fire station right there less than 100 yards away so they were on the scene quick. I bugged out when they arrived.

Pretty shook up just from seeing it. eek.gif

Frankly I don't know if I would be "shook up" witnessing such a display of intelligence leading to the inevitable. I would be "mad"!

718313-squid5.jpg.00bff485aab013a2f1aad06431abf3c9.jpg

didn't it make you want to go over there and after confirming he wasnt seriously injured, knocking him upside the head and asking what the hell?

few weeks ago I witnessed an accident although not nearly as much in the way of dramatics as yours... i've come up on the aftermath of many motorcycle accidents but this was the first motorcycle accident i'd ever witnessed.

I was approaching a corner and I saw a bike coming from the opposite direction, I watched as he entered the turn, failed to turn(?!?) at all and hit the curb at a pretty good clip - sending him flying over the bars and his HD flopping down onto its side.

turns out it was a brand new bike and a brand new rider, not even 2mi from the Harley Dealer.. luckily he had a helmet because it had a nice gash and from the looks of it he messed up his shoulder too. He left some nice skidmarks and I'm guessing the brand new slick tire played a role in it all.

at anyrate, the whole thing had a bit of a delayed effect on me and the rest of the day I was shook up over it.

Kevin_Stevens
The kid landed on the hood of the car so there was no road rash but he was not too coherent.

So, technically, he probably isn't down even yet, at least by NFL rules. Get that ball! smile.gif

KeS

Darwin strikes again.

A riding mentor beats into my head repeatedly how it only takes one error in judgment to cause a safe ride to turn into an accident. Given the multiple errors in judgment in this situation, that poor guy seemed to be stacking the deck against himself.

So, technically, he probably isn't down even yet, at least by NFL rules. Get that ball! smile.gif

Dunno about that. His forward progress was certainly stopped. smirk.gif

Horsepower + Stupid = Hurt. Seems pretty simple to me. JP

Yes, you do stupid stuff like that on the road you deserve what you get.

Pretty shook up just from seeing it.

I probably wouldn't have been, as the mishap was entirely of his own making.

I know for sure that I would at least be a teensy bit irked, because where the public is concerned, this guy's behavior would definitely be a thumbs down and unfortunately for the rest of us, the fallout is hard to avoid.

Still sucks to see, though. If the guy was broken down beside the road, we'd probably stop to help a fellow rider.

Oh, Gleno called. You say you think the bike's a salvage? grin.gif

Oh, Gleno called. You say you think the bike's a salvage

I know it wasn't a Touno grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Heard afterward that the kid was standing up and talking hopefully he learned something valuable today... stupid is as stupid does but we were ALL young and Stupid once.

bakerzdosen

I probably wouldn't have been, as the mishap was entirely of his own making.

I know for sure that I would at least be a teensy bit irked, because where the public is concerned, this guy's behavior would definitely be a thumbs down and unfortunately for the rest of us, the fallout is hard to avoid.

Well, I would have been shook up. Imagine the trauma of suddenly having a guy in a helmet on your windshield and your car damaged by a sportbike. And it just came out of nowhere because I'm sure she, like everyone else, never saw the motorcycle at all. smile.gif Scary stuff.

Oh, you say there was a squid involved too? Hmmm. Well, OK, I'd be mad and yet trying really hard not to say something like "you really didn't see this coming?"

I probably wouldn't have been, as the mishap was entirely of his own making. ........

Either you have never seen anything like this or you have a cold hard heart. I might talk about the guy later like a dog, but I would still tear me up to see it happen.

yankee Dog

I probably wouldn't have been, as the mishap was entirely of his own making. ........

Either you have never seen anything like this or you have a cold hard heart. I might talk about the guy later like a dog, but I would still tear me up to see it happen.

It's not like the guy's bike suddenly went wildly out of control for no reason at all - he knew exactly what he was doing. I don't see any good reason why I should find myself emotionally disturbed by something that was totally avoidable.

Cold heart? Maybe. But then, I'm not an easily shaken individual. If I was, I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle, after having personally witnessed at close range a car striking a motorcyclist on a city street many years ago.

what can you say that has not been said before.....

Dumba$$ rider..... not a motorcyclist.... but a rider

He is STUPID.... as defined as someone who has probably been taught correctly but refuses to listen.

Sorry to seem so harsh (glad he is ok)

he knew exactly what he was doing

Obviously he didn't... after all he crashed smirk.gif

I agree with most of you and hearing about these kind of incidences third hand I usually don't have much sympathy either... however when you actually witness it it still is bothersome. Just like when I saw a car swerve and flip several times on the interstate last year... the kid was trying to change a CD. He was an idiot as well but it still shakes me up when you witness the actual accident and not just see the aftermath.

yankee Dog

Many years ago in my teenage days, I was involved in a serious car wreck (though escaped any serious injury). To this day, that sound of crunching metal and breaking plastic gets my heart pounding. A couple years ago I witnessed a crash in front of me while waiting at an intersection. Even though I was never in any physical danger, my heart rate easily jumped by 80%. Must be some kind of subconscious or physiological reaction to the past event. Kind of like seeing that dreaded red light in the rear view mirror.

In any case, I don't know if I would go as far as to say the rider in question "deserved" what happened to him. It’s just a matter of cause and effect. The resultant outcome experienced by the rider was consistent with his precipitating actions. He will live with the results. If he is capable of critical thought, he will also learn from the experience.

he knew exactly what he was doing

Obviously he didn't... after all he crashed smirk.gif

Or, he knew what he was doing, but simply picked the wrong place to do it. smile.gif

"He chose.....poorly."

-- Grail Knight, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Joe Frickin' Friday

It's not like the guy's bike suddenly went wildly out of control for no reason at all - he knew exactly what he was doing. I don't see any good reason why I should find myself emotionally disturbed by something that was totally avoidable.

I don't think the responsibility for the incident factors into whether a witness gets shaken up. Whether witnessing a murder or a suicide, I expect I would find myself equally traumatized in either case, simply by virtue of observing grievous bodily harm/death in the act.

Slartidbartfast
Many years ago in my teenage days, I was involved in a serious car wreck (though escaped any serious injury). To this day, that sound of crunching metal and breaking plastic gets my heart pounding. A couple years ago I witnessed a crash in front of me while waiting at an intersection. Even though I was never in any physical danger, my heart rate easily jumped by 80%. Must be some kind of subconscious or physiological reaction to the past event. Kind of like seeing that dreaded red light in the rear view mirror.
Yes, there's something about that particular "Bang!", "Crunch!" sound that you just don't forget.

Let's hope that the squid in question remembers and learns.

Every one of you smack talkin' squid bashers that never did anything stoopid as a kid, and in turn, learned from it....please raise your hand.

You're ALL my heros and I wanna be JUST like you if I grow up. thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

Even though the wreck was the kids fault, I think I'd be pretty shook up to actually witness it as well. I couldn't count the number of mc accidents I've rolled up to, but I can count on three fingers the number I've witnessed.

Was there any word on kid's outcome? Sounds like he paid for his stupid mistake! blush.gif

Steve in So Cal

All the paper said was that he had no sustainable injuries...

I have no desire to see another two such incidents eek.gif as you have

This story just gives motorcyclists a bad name once again.

Imagine how that person in the car felt and how they were affected. I would imagine that the person in the car will always remember this and think that people on motorcycles are reckless and dangerous to themselfs and others.

Kind of like seeing that dreaded red light in the ear view mirror.

Wow! I must be humiliating to be pulled over by a firetruck!

Sorry, I just had to poke a little at that one.

My cousin in New Jersey is or was the firechief in his town, and has blue lights behind his grill of his personal car! I told him that they (they being Yankees) are messed up!

One of my patrol officers informed me of a 3x motorcycle fatality on a popular road west of Phoenix. A man and his 8 year old son were rounding a corner on their Harley. A crotch rocket with a young male on it crossed the center line and ran squarely into the HD. Both on the HD were killed instantly. The other rider died (not confirmed) later at the hospital. The patrolman said it was unlikely he would survive. The patrolman told me it was a very high speed impact with it being one of the worst m/c accidents he has seen. Ironically it took place at the same spot my friend was killed 3 yrs ago. I can't comment personally on the speed of the rice burner as I wasn't there..I was told it was substantial though.

This could have been prevented. I often wonder what it will take for those who ride recklessly to stop.....guess I have my answer. bncry.gif

Yes, it seems as if more and more young, uneducated teens are acquiring bikes somehow. Recently we had an incident here where some late teen -early 20's kids were partying late one night. As a motorcycle was present, a young man and his girlfriend 'borrowed' the bike from the owner and went racing down the open street. Within 45 seconds they were both dead. As they topped triple-digit speeds, a trucker had pulled off of a cross street (legally after stopping at the stop sign) going maybe 15mph. The kids on the bike never even hit the brakes as they ran straight into the rear of the truck. No license, No helmets, Nothing. I try to sypathize with the families but with stupidity like this running rampant on the streets these days it appears if life just naturally takes care of itself.

I try to sypathize with the families but with stupidity like this running rampant on the streets these days it appears if life just naturally takes care of itself.

Ima try to pretend I didn't just read that. Be a quite different tone from you if it was your own child.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to be so dense, but new to the game. Why do you refer to these riders as "squids" -- all arms flailing?

MVT

It is a contraction of "Squirrelly Kid", it just seems to fit grin.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

Up here in central Canada it costs $2,850.00 per year to licence and register my R12RT. If I witness such an accident as you posted I'd make every effort to let the insurance company know it was due to dangerous driving which is why our rates have skyrocketted!! The guy should pay his own repairs for driving stupid! It's only a matter of time when you guys start seeing your rates climb because of stupid riders.

Tim

I did not... every other MV accident that I have witnessed and tried to give a statement the officer's have said have a nice day. Unless I have actually been a passenger they have not shown an interest... not sure why I have given my name on several occasions but never been contacted. This has been the case in three previous auto accidents that I have witnessed and was still on the scene when the authorities arrived. Two of which were on the interstate. In the above accident it was quite obvious from the position of the cycle and the car he hit who's fault it was... prior actions don't change that (ie being in wheelie mode).

Yes, there's something about that particular "Bang!", "Crunch!" sound that you just don't forget.

Or the looong moment of silence between the two as you fly through the air. Don't ask me how I know.

Frank

Remember. there are three types of riders.

Those that are going down.

Those that have been down.

Those that are going down again.

You can't fix Stupid

Archived