IGNORED

top casees

JerryF

Just bought a 05 R12ST. And was wondering about the fitment and ease of removal for a givi top case. And is the factory top case easy to R&R

Jerry

For the Givi you install the mounting plate and the Givi top case clicks into position. Very simple, looks good and at half the price of the BMW top case it is a no brainer in my book. Believe or not but you can actually put helmets in it and they will fit. What a revelation. I have the V46 case on my 05 RT and I think it looks great. Send my your email address if it is not listed and I will send you a pic.

Here is a photo with the E52 Maxia Topcase with Backrest. Once the adaptor plate is on it's a button press to get it on and off.

SugartreeInnTrip009-1.jpg

Here is a photo with the E52 Maxia Topcase with Backrest. Once the adaptor plate is on it's a button press to get it on and off.

Can you post a picture from the rear?

What is left on the bike when you take the E52 off?

thanks

bakerzdosen

I've been wanting to ask this question too. I'm thinking quite seriously about getting a e470. If anyone knows the answers to these questions, I'd appreciate it:

1) Anyone attach a monolock topcase to an OEM luggage rack on a r12st? Or do you have to buy the r12st specific rack?

2) I've assumed this is a "no", but I'll ask anyway. Can you use a monokey topcase with the oem rack? There is no monokey r12st rack from Givi. I'd actually like one of the e52's.

3) Is there any way to use your bike key with the Givi's? (Buy a BMW lockset or whatever.)

TIA.

Black99S

Ok. I went into the garage and took my V46 case down, mounted it on the bike and took some shots for you. A pic from the rear and a pic with just the mounting plate. You will have to send me your email address because I do not know how to post pics on this website. I have the same identical bike as the pic. My case is a V46 (46 liter) vs. the E52 (52 liter) pictured. The plate is flat and stylish in my opinion and it great for stacking stuff on it if you do not want to take the case with you. ie. when I am camping I use a large duffel bag with all of my gear in it and place it on the pillion seat and mounting plate or longways on the bike.

Bakerzdosen

1. You cannot attach a Givi case to the BMW OEM rack.

You must buy the Givi mounting plate for their cases

2. Givi DOES make a mounting rack for the R12ST.

3. You have to use the Givi key for the Givi cases. If

someone has keyed it with a BMW key I have never heard

of it.

You mentioned buying the E470. I did not see any dimensions on Givi's website for this case. They did mention putting it on a scooter. IMHO if it will not fit at least 2 full face helmets you do not want it. My V46 will hold 2 full face helmets and maybe two sets of gloves. In other words it is tight with those items inside. The E52 is a little larger. The V46 and E52 offer the most function, appearance and bang for your buck in my opinion. You can buy the case, mounting plate, and backrest for about $375 or less for the E52 and about $325 or so for the V46. I have a source that will give you a discount. No financial interest just a very happy customer.

bakerzdosen
Bakerzdosen

1. You cannot attach a Givi case to the BMW OEM rack.

You must buy the Givi mounting plate for their cases

2. Givi DOES make a mounting rack for the R12ST.

3. You have to use the Givi key for the Givi cases. If

someone has keyed it with a BMW key I have never heard

of it.

You mentioned buying the E470. I did not see any dimensions on Givi's website for this case. They did mention putting it on a scooter. IMHO if it will not fit at least 2 full face helmets you do not want it. My V46 will hold 2 full face helmets and maybe two sets of gloves. In other words it is tight with those items inside. The E52 is a little larger. The V46 and E52 offer the most function, appearance and bang for your buck in my opinion. You can buy the case, mounting plate, and backrest for about $375 or less for the E52 and about $325 or so for the V46. I have a source that will give you a discount. No financial interest just a very happy customer.

Thanks very much Keith. However, here's the thing: The e470 description over at twisted throttle states:
Includes "universal" Monolock adapter plate that may be permanently bolted to an SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack, a Five-Stars rear rack, and most other existing flat rear luggage rack constructed of metal tubes.

The "universal" Monolock plate cannot be used to attach the case to a bike without an existing rear luggage rack.

So, that would seem to indicate that there is some sort of universal plate that comes with it to which I could attach my OEM luggage rack.

BUT then you read on the r12st toprack page that

This toprack is NOT compatible with any Monokey cases (Givi does not offer a toprack for this bike that is compatible with Monokey cases).
That's why I was wanting the e470 - it's the largest monolock case they currently list - 47 liters. It will supposedly swallow two medium FF helmets (I'm hoping for one large and one medium...)

So yeah, I agree fully with your advice. If I could just get the stupid thing to work. I'd prefer the Monokey e52 or v46, but that seems to be a no-go. Twisted throttle has a picture of the e450 (2 liters smaller) on an r12st, so I'm pretty sure I can get it to work - I'm just confused about that universal plate in the monolock series description.

The exterior dimensions (according to TT.com again) are:

e470: 13" tall x 16.75" deep x 21.9" wide.

v46: 17"L x 22"W x 13"D.

e52: 23" wide x 11.5" tall x 16.8" front-to-back.

My two helmets are a grand total of about 19.5" wide.

Anyway, such is my confusion... (including the fact that the three cases have different descriptions of their dimensions dopeslap.gif )

I'm hoping tt.com will know if/when I call them. Or, if you've got a source that can really lead me out of my confusion and get me a deal, by all means - send word. smile.gif

Thanks

matt

bakerzdosen

OK, so on keithb's advice, I called Givi.

Indeed, the only top cases you can mount on an r1200st are the Monolock series. The Monokey series (aka v46 & e52 etc) cannot be mounted on a r12st. Period.

So, the e470 would seem to be the largest topcase available for the r12st.

Also, the e470 needs to have the r1200 st mounting plate (SR686M). It will replace the rear luggage rack.

Not the answers I was looking for, but hey, at least now I know.

not true. sw-motech makes a rack for the R1200ST that will allow you to mount the monokey cases. i just ordered one from twisted throttle.com

rack=$114.00/ adaptor= $30.00 and shipping was $157.00 U.S. clap.gif

JerryF. is correct. I have a GIVI Monokey 46L top case on my R1200RT. I also bought the adaptor from Twisted Throttle.

rocketbunny

I have an E450 case with universal plate mounted on my R1200ST. The included adapter plate doesn't look as good as the R12ST specific plate, but it'll mount up just fine. You do need to already own the BMW OEM rack, but I think most of them probably came with it.

I already owned the case from a previous bike and didn't see a reason to buy another when I already had a perfectly good one at home. It'll hold two full face Arai helmets (tested). I'm not sure I'd trust having a passenger lean on it, but that's not something I've ever needed.

lots of pictures of the bike with the case mounted on my blog (link in sig). I don't ever take it off. It has held tight for 14000 miles on the ST and another 20,000 miles or so on the previous bike.

Furthermore, having used lots of Givi hardware over the years...if you buy a universal plate for the monokey series, you'll be able to mount it. It may not be pretty, but It'll be secure. It'll just cost a whole lot more money than a monolock.

Archived