IGNORED

cleaner rear wheel bolts?

ednap

My rear wheel bolts (R1150RT) are a bit scuffed around the edges and I was wondering if there are any cleaner aftermarket replacements readily available in either chrome or satin finish.

Global_Rider
My rear wheel bolts (R1150RT) are a bit scuffed around the edges and I was wondering if there are any cleaner aftermarket replacements readily available in either chrome or satin finish.

I installed some plastic caps from a VW Rabbit. They fit 17 mm hex head bolts and have a black satin finish.

Hey, sounds like a pretty neat idea.

I have not heard of the VW rabbit but we do have VW's here so I can check for 17mm plastic caps from them.

Cheers.

I have not heard of the VW rabbi

Yeah that was for the Americans. Mk1 or golf or gti everywhere else in the world.

Yeah that was for the Americans. Mk1 or golf or gti everywhere else in the world.

Cheers, yes we have the VW Golf here.

ShovelStrokeEd

Just a caution, those wheel bolts are some pretty high strength material, grade 10.8 I believe. They also have tapers ground under the bolt head to aid in wheel location and the transfer of torque. I would be hesitant in the extreme to replace them unless I knew that the new bolts, with whatever finish treatment was applied, still met the orignal specification.

One of the things the higher grade fastenrs are good for is repeated stretching and relaxing cycles such as might be encounterd in removal and replacement of the wheel. Wouldn't be so good to have one, or all, of your wheel bolts fail due to metal fatigue from repeated torquing, would it.

The plastic cap idea is a good one.

Yes, very valid point.

The plastic caps do sound like a decent alternative and one I will follow up on with a VW dealer when I locate one.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed some plastic caps from a VW Rabbit. They fit 17 mm hex head bolts and have a black satin finish.

Thanks for this.

Located a VW dealer and was able to purchase the plastic nut covers for Au$2 each. Looks much nicer thumbsup.gif

Global_Rider
Located a VW dealer and was able to purchase the plastic nut covers for Au$2 each. Looks much nicer thumbsup.gif

You wouldn't happen to have the VW part number?

I installed a set of those plastic caps ages ago on my 1990 R100 GS; they're still on the bike. I think I'll get a couple of sets for my other GSes.

Sorry, my wife actually stopped at a VW dealer and simply asked for plastic wheel nut covers to suit the VW Golf.

I have asked her to get me a spare set next time she in back in that area again so will also ask her try to get the part number then as well but it will not be for a week or so.

Global_Rider

Sorry, my wife actually stopped at a VW dealer and simply asked for plastic wheel nut covers to suit the VW Golf.

I have asked her to get me a spare set next time she in back in that area again so will also ask her try to get the part number then as well but it will not be for a week or so.

Don't sweat it. I drive by a VW dealer daily.

Now that I'm at home and have access to my expense spreadsheets...I bought a set of those back in 1992, PN: 321 601 173A, but the number and style of cap may have changed by now.

Does it wear a Yamaha? lmao.gif...

Sorry........Couldn't resist.......

Phil..........Redbrick

Hey, sounds like a pretty neat idea.

I have not heard of the VW rabbit but we do have VW's here so I can check for 17mm plastic caps from them.

The "rabbit" was just what they called VW Golfs here in North America between 1975 and the very early 80s. The plastic wheel caps were used on the Series 1 golf (rabbit). Apparently VW at that time thought North Americans were too stupid to understand that the German word for the Gulf wind was "Golf".

The "rabbit" was just what they called VW Golfs here in North America between 1975 and the very early 80s. The plastic wheel caps were used on the Series 1 golf (rabbit). Apparently VW at that time thought North Americans were too stupid to understand that the German word for the Gulf wind was "Golf".

VW was into the pun, though -- my '83 GTI came with a golf ball-looking, dimpled gearshift knob. wink.gif

--John cool.gif

(Man, I miss that car. Like most of the bikes I've ever owned. frown.gif )

Archived