IGNORED

Best driving lights for emp mounts on my RT?

ednap

G'Day.

Plan to install some driving lights to a set of emp mounts (thanks Pat) on my 1150RT.

Would welcome your suggestions on which lights work best.

As I live in Australia I'll probably buy from a local outlet (avoid shipping costs) but I am interested in your views of which models work best (size, beam pattern, vibration resistance etc) and which to avoid.

Sitting on top of the mirrors I presume there are some with more glare problems than others? By that I mean light in the riders eyes from the edge of the lens.

Just about anything will fit, one of the advantages of the EMP mounting system! The Hella FF50 are a popular choice as they perform well, the oval shape looks good with the 1100/1150 RT styling, and they're inexpensive and use commonly available H7 lamps.

As you note some glare from the lens is possible with the EMPs and the FF50 do show a little, but this is very easily and completely cured with a little black electrical tape.

Yeah with that glare factor I was wondering if a style where the glass doesn't come right to the edge but is situated inside a metal ring may be a more suitable design option.

Except for the cost i would be running piaa 910's on my emp's, but alas, i make do with the FF50's AND they do a good job. When i used the black electical tape around the rim, I found that a few drops of super glue keeps the tape end from coming loose.... Zero glare..... two thumbs up

Yeah with that glare factor I was wondering if a style where the glass doesn't come right to the edge but is situated inside a metal ring may be a more suitable design option.

I love my KC HiLiters. I went with the Black 50 Series:

http://www.kchilites.com/store/5-Black-Long-Range-Lightbr-1415-P66C43.aspx

http://kcautomotive.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KCL&Category_Code=50S

mounted on EMP mounts. Here is a picture from Pat's page:

http://www.empdesigns.com/MICKS_BIKE_TUCSON_AZ.jpg

The lens is totally out of your view because the ring covers the edge of the lens. I like 'em!! They only get used in the boonies

The only drawback is a little wobble in the mounts. Pat assured me the mounts would handle these lamps and I'll take his word for that but the mounts flex pretty badly on rough pavement.

Mick

Except for the cost i would be running piaa 910's on my emp's, but alas, i make do with the FF50's AND they do a good job. When i used the black electical tape around the rim, I found that a few drops of super glue keeps the tape end from coming loose.... Zero glare..... two thumbs up

Reading on the PIAA site though the 910's must be mounted with the bolt at the top so that excludes them from the EMP mount. Either way too pricey

DavidEBSmith

I believe the 910s can be mounted upside down if you reverse the lens so that the drain hole is on the bottom. That being said, the 910s are too pricey for what you get. Hella FF series give you better performance at a lower price. This guy doesn't like the 910s, either.

I believe the 910s can be mounted upside down if you reverse the lens so that the drain hole is on the bottom. That being said, the 910s are too pricey for what you get. Hella FF series give you better performance at a lower price. This guy doesn't like the 910s, either.

After a lot of time looking at what's in the shops, and research on the Net I ended up buying a set of FF50's. Cannot go past the price and the positive feedback from so many users.

Archived