Garmin Zumo 550 -- Check out THIS Price

mbresso

obiwankenobi

I don't need this toy.

I don't need this toy..

I don't need this toy... bncry.gif

I don't need this toy.... eek.gif

I don't need this toy..... dopeslap.gif

I recently purchased the 2730 unit and it came with a hockey puck looking antenna that is also the xm receiver, Is the Zumo 550 kit complete for xm reception or is the xm receiver /antenna an available option that is not part of the kit?

Looks optional to me:

Add Optional Traffic, Weather, and Radio

With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

Supports optional XM NavTraffic with XM weather, and XM Satellite Radio

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

"With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna"

I read your link and it looks like the antenna/receiver is an option on this unit.

RD

Chuck Hatcher
Yep, you have to buy the hockey puck extra for the zumo. It's called a GXM30, and is the same one that came with your 2730.

Reference link.

I'd like to know with certainty whether or not the US version of the BMW Motorrad Navigator 3 will be XM capable (with the addition of the GXM30, most likely).

Although I AM buying the Zumo when it comes out I'm glad I already have an XM radio on my bike. There's absolutely no way somebody will force me to pay an additional $250 just for wha- an XM antenna?! I realize this defeats the integrated purpose slightly but for those of you starting afresh I would sincerely consider spending between $50 and $100 for a separate, stand-alone satellite (XM OR Sirius, your choice) radio that includes an antenna instead of paying THAT kind of money for such an overpriced accessory. Besides, you may not want to interrupt your GPS directions to find your pre-set XM channels buried in the Zumo while you are driving. I'm just going to hit the pre-set buttons on my Roady2 - don't even have to look at it!

And oh gee, most XM radios like this already come WITH an antenna...

91879842_08e23837d6.jpg

It looks like Zumo is available at this website. As far as I know it would be in the market on October. I need a gps as soon as possible and yesterday ordered a 2820 (couldnt wait for Zumo)

Does anyone know about availability of zumo? Its only advantage is battery for me. Size does not matter smile.gif

bakerzdosen
Does anyone know about availability of zumo? Its only advantage is battery for me. Size does not matter smile.gif
Everywhere is saying that it's gonna be October. I haven't seen any site (that I'd trust) that says anything to the contrary.

I was going through the same thing. I finally decided that I can suck it up for another 2 months (give or take) with my old Map410 and wait for the Zumo. Otherwise, I probably would have just got the Costco 2720 deal that ended 31 July or the $699 2730 that's there now (which is still tempting me even though XM isn't my cup of tea.)

Regardless, I'm like you in that if it was available now, I'd own one now...

As to pricing, it looks like there are several places (according to froogle ) that are selling the zumo for $750ish. So it's looking like that's going to be the near-term lowest price.

Since the XM radion ID is built into the antenna, you could use the same antenna on either unit.

As for the other features, I talked with an XM Radio rep yesterday. The cost of those other features, especially the weather info is really outrageous. They were talking $99 per month for the service.

As for tuning, I don't think you will have to interupt your trip routing to dial in the XM station. I believe the 2820 and probably the Zumo act the same. No matter what you are doing the active route is "active" and will interupt what you are doing to give directions or show map information.

If you get Navtraffic for $5.00 / month with the XM subscription. Nav traffic gives you traffic conditions in major cities and weather / weather forcast for your area.

If you want weather for piloting or boating then you need to go with the pricey packages.

RD

If you want weather for piloting or boating then you need to go with the pricey packages.
And the advanced weather features won't work with any of the road oriented Garmin GPSs, including the zumo.

Sorry Ron, I directly proceed to check out to see the price, and did not look at the main product page. It does not warn at check out.

Hi,

The weather package most people are using costs $29 per month,in addition to the standard XM radio fee.

You may be able to just activate it for your busy riding months.

JR356

It is difficult to figure out this weather pricing. I think the sales rep did mention a weather package at that price. And if I can activate it for only one month, I might well try it for my upcoming trip.

Thanks for the update.

There is a table on this page that says there is not weather support for the automotive Garmin gps products, except that weather bulletins are incorporated into the traffic package, if you are in a city with traffic service. Does anybody read that differently?

Hello Ron:

I have the 2730 unit with the navtraffic subscription. I get weather conditions, forcasts, temp, humidity, visiblility, wind, dew pt., and the pressure in most areas I have entered on the unit. the weather seems to be more comprehensive then the traffic conditions in the major cities.

RD

(which is still tempting me even though XM isn't my cup of tea.)

If you don't want the GXM30, I'd bet you could sell it FAST for $200 (or more) making the 2730 deal even better...

Sean

Since the XM radion ID is built into the antenna, you could use the same antenna on either unit.

snip

I don't believe that is correct as I have ONE Roady I use on 2 bikes and one car, each with their own antenna.

The GXM30 is a combination receiver / antenna with its own electronic serial number. It is possible that this unit could be used with different gps's that have this option.

RD

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received one yet? I read some where that it won't be available until October. Not sure that's reliable. Star Marine Depot doesn't have them to ship yet.

I'm having trouble understanding Garmin's pricing. It looks like you can get the 2730, which includes the GXM 30 antenna for XM radio, for about $900. Or you can get the Zumo, which does not include the GXM 30, for between $750 and $800. The GXM 30 antenna is available on eBay for around $200 and up. Therefore, the Zumo seems overpriced compared to the 2730. Am I missing something? What can the Zumo do that I can't get from the 2730, assuming that I do want the XM features?

What can the Zumo do that I can't get from the 2730, assuming that I do want the XM features?

Bluetooth, an integrate speaker in the auto-mount, motorcycle specific mount, motorcycle friendly buttons (on the left side), built-in rechargeable battery.

To some, those features might be worth something. From a pure technology perspective, the pricing does seem a bit off when compared to the 2730. The 2820 is a better comparison since it seems to have the same technologies. The 2820 pricing is slightly more than the Zumo, but it also has a slightly larger screen, which I assume some people are willing to pay a premium for.

Wes Hsu

To me, that battery is the best upgrade. You can play with your toy in the diner, while waiting for lunch. Pity about the smaller screen, though.

To me, that battery is the best upgrade. You can play with your toy in the diner, while waiting for lunch. Pity about the smaller screen, though.

Let's say, hypothetically, that one were old enough to require reading glasses (hypothetically, about +1.50). Would one be able to read the Zumo screen w/o reading glasses?

Let's say, hypothetically, that one were old enough to require reading glasses (hypothetically, about +1.50). Would one be able to read the Zumo screen w/o reading glasses?

In your hand? No. Mount it at the top of the dash, not on the triple clamps, not on the tank bag or tank to get it far enough away. Of course YMMV.

-RickP.

Some spouses will really be made at me but here it is....

$768.95!

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+zumo+550.html

(Click on the "See Our Price" button at the bottom of the page)

Drool tongue.gif

Thanks for posting. I really want Sirius and currently have a SP3, but to save on clutter having only one thing mounted to the bike instead of two and effectively have a waterproof satellite radio this is really tempting. Santa may be getting a request for this.

The way to resolve that problem is to buy glasses with a reading prescription set for the distance you will be from the device. While I have the other device (forget the number but I think it's a 2820) and it has a slightly larger screen, I can read the screen with ease using the bifocal part of my glasses. However, the Doctor and I worked that out when I bought them. For riding, and work at the computer I have some special glasses.

For the computer, they are bifocals that are set for about 18" in the main lens and a normal close up reading lens int he lower part.

For riding I use the Panoptx prescription glasses. I looked for a long time before I deceided on them. Eyes are very important, you need to keep them covered. The Panoptx have a well designed system and offer serval styles. While pricy, they are very good at what they do. I have the bifocal versions. The main lens is set for normal distance vision. The bifocal, small sport bifocal is set for two feet. On the bike, everything is in focus and sharp, through the lower lens. If you keep your head level and look down at the instruments and the GPS,radio, what have you, it is in focus. If you look left or right, the mirrors are in focus.

Just have to work with your Doctor to get the rigth strenght in the bifocal area.

Archived