IGNORED

Gremlin in left turn signal - anyone else?

EDO

While riding home from the MOA rally, my R12RT developed a habit of turning on the left turn signal by itself - only one routine would turn it off, hit both turn signals simultaneously, then hit the 4 way flasher off. The day before, I rode thru some very heavy rain - for extended periods in NY state - could be the cause...

Has anyone else seen this - what's the problem?

Thanks!

EDO

EDO,

I haven't seen it but from your description and the rain, I would expect it to be a water short causing it. I would certainly have the dealer have a look and possibly replace the switch.

--russ

Here's the strange thing - one of my ridng partners also rides a 05 R12RT and drove thru the storm with me - had the exact same thing happen. Sounds like a design weakness, just not sure where the water is coming in... My other riding partner drives a 05 R12ST - he drove thru with us but had no problems...

Bill Murray

EDO

You and our other R12RT rider both used your emergency flashers during the heavy rains, but I never did so. I wonder if water entered through your emergency flasher switch?

Hmm, is that the reason the 06 does not have the emergency flasher switch? eek.gif

On the '06RT you hold down both left and right turn signal switches simultaneously to engage the 4-way flashers. Neat way to eliminate a trouble-prone switch and shave a dollar off the build cost. It's all in the Can-Bus computer firmware.

Yes, I have. The "pot" that is the turn signal switch has a rubber cover sealing it from the elements. On my RT this rubber cover disintigrated and allowed water to corrode the internals of the turn signal switch. It will eventually fail completely. The fix is to have the $300+ left switch complex replaced in it's entirety. I loath my local dealer so much that fixed it myself. I acquired a used LT switch complex, cut out the turn signal and horn switch (rubber gone from it too) and soldered them into my existing switch complex. Both work fine now.

I just had my left turn signal act up last week. I, too, found that the rubber boot seal had cracked apart that is supposed to seal the switch plunger. I don't think that this is much of a problem as the switch when installed is actually pointed downward. I used a scribe to pry out the plunger to reveal the internals of the switch. Once you get the plunger out, you will find a sub-plunger with spring that has a divider that slips between the switch contacts. When the switch is pressed, the divider will pass beyond the switch contacts allowing the contacts to touch. My problem was intermittent and I fixed it by bending the switch contacts for more tension and performed a good contact cleaning. So far no more problems.

Any idea of the root cause of the rubber failing?

lubricant used internal to the signal switch? Mineral oil spill over from the clutch reservoir? Texas heat and sun degradation? Cleaning solution?

I live in a rain forest and I'll not be happy with a switch cluster that lasts 1-2 years. frown.gif

On the bright side, BMW Canada warrants the bikes for 3-years and unlimited km thumbsup.gif

... the turn signal switch has a rubber cover sealing it from the elements. On my RT this rubber cover disintigrated and allowed water to corrode the internals of the turn signal switch. I acquired a used LT switch complex ...(rubber gone from it too)
On the '06RT you hold down both left and right turn signal switches simultaneously to engage the 4-way flashers.
05 bikes can do the same.

Archived