IGNORED

Replacing Muffler on R1100RT

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I have been fortunate enough to have purchased a brand new never been used muffler assy on E-bay for my 2000 R1100RT for $150.00. Hopefully I will be receiving it within a few days and would like to hear from someone who has done the replacement. I'm assuming it's a pretty simple task but thought I would ask if there is anything I have to be careful of and is there a seal that might need to be replace where the header meets the catalytic converter? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's held on at just 2 points. The hanger in the back and on the header

It is heavy and a bit awkward to move but can be done alone. I find using wd40 on the header connection aids in removal and installation.

it will help greatly if you loosen or remove the tupperware to get it out of the way.

Be mindful of the o2 sensor too.

Steve Kolenda

Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. How much tupperware would you remove and where is the oxygen sensor located?

The oxygen sensor wire is on the right side of the bike. You will have to remove the right side tuperware to get to the plug. I seem to remember that the plug is under the tank but I am not sure of that. If it is you will have to remove the left side tuperware also so you can raise the tank.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The oxygen sensor wire is on the right side of the bike. You will have to remove the right side tuperware to get to the plug. I seem to remember that the plug is under the tank but I am not sure of that. If it is you will have to remove the left side tuperware also so you can raise the tank.

Confirmed, plug is under tank; tank needs to come off for easy access.

I just want to add that you can remove the o2 sensor without removing a lot off plastics.

Simply loosen it and unscrew it. There is enough wire to let it wind up a bit.

When reinstalling pre wind the wire so as it gets screwed in it unwinds!

At least this is what I have done successfully.

Archived