IGNORED

RT Radio and Autocomm

Bakaboy

I have installed my Active Autocomm on the bike and enjoy it as does my SO. The problem is the iPOD does not last long enough and I was thinking that my BMW Radio is sitting there unused (useless at speeds over 60 kmh and therefore always off) I was wondering......can I wire the output from the radio into my Autocomm and therefore control volume stations etc from my hand controls but have it go through the helmet speakers?

If so, where will I tap in and what am I looking for?

Thanks for the input.

Can only speak for connecting radio to Autocom on an R1200RT, but they do a special cable for switched music. Wires into the speakers and plugs into the Autocom. When you want to switch from speakers to headsets you simply throw the swtich, the speakers are muted and you can hear it in your helmet. Not to difficult to install and works fine!

I'm not sure of any off the shelf solutions, but it certainly is possible for any reasonably good audio engineer to rig up a isolation coil from the BMW radio into one of the inputs of the autocom.

OTOH, there's a guy in another thread looking to ADD a radio to his RT (for under 60 MPH riding??? grin.gif), maybe you two can work up a deal!

Yes. Autocom makes a "music" lead that takes the radio output from the speakers and interfaces to the Autocom. Works very well but will take a little work to get to the speaker connections.

I have my rt setup with the bike radio connected to the autocomm. I used an autocomm music interface cable pt # 1319. this cable connects to the back of the rt stereo to the autocom unit which I located towards the back of the bike. I intercepted the rear speaker pinouts on the stereo and used this output to the intercom lead; this allows me to adjust the balance from the stereo speakers to the helmet / earbud speakers (eptymotic ER6I)and autocomm lead part # 27. I had to take the stereo apart to find the speaker pinouts. If you need pics of the pinout points, let me know. I also use the stereo cassette for the satellite radio input; thereby eliminating fm frequency interference near large cities. This setup works well and allows volume / mute control with the oem handlebar switch.

Hope this helps,

RD

I have my rt setup with the bike radio connected to the autocomm. I used an autocomm music interface cable pt # 1319. this cable connects to the back of the rt stereo to the autocom unit which I located towards the back of the bike. I intercepted the rear speaker pinouts on the stereo and used this output to the intercom lead; this allows me to adjust the balance from the stereo speakers to the helmet / earbud speakers (eptymotic ER6I)and autocomm lead part # 27. I had to take the stereo apart to find the speaker pinouts. If you need pics of the pinout points, let me know. I also use the stereo cassette for the satellite radio input; thereby eliminating fm frequency interference near large cities. This setup works well and allows volume / mute control with the oem handlebar switch.

Hope this helps,

RD

Helps immensely. Couple of questions as I have not monkeyed around with the stereo yet....how does one go about removing it and how did you know the rear speaker wires (were they just terminated?)

Thanks

Hello David:

Removal of the left body panel is required to get to the stereo. The stereo is located inside a plastic compartment underneath the body panel.

The stereo pinouts are located at the back of the stereo. The stereo was designed to support four speakers, so some of these pinouts are not connected to anything. You will need to find cable connectors that sleeve around these pinouts to make your connection to the intercom. These connectors should be solder and heatshrunk to the autocomm cable to make a strong connection and not break or get loose from the pinouts during riding. There are cables connected to a locking termination block. these cables are from the speakers, power, and handlebar control. Great care should be taken while removal of this locking connector to avoid bending or disfiguring any of the connectors. I had to take the stereo apart to figure out the pinouts that I needed for my connections. There is no need to take the stereo apart. I will send you pics of these if you like.

Ron

Archived