IGNORED

Adding a radio

obiwankenobi

obiwankenobi

Hello everyone, just joined up a few days ago. I have had my 2004 RT for a week now, bought it used. I would like to add a radio but the BMW retro-fit unit says it won't work with '04 and later. I'm getting a set of used speakers from Gregg here on the board, what else do I need to install a radio?

Some '04s had the harness for the factory radio, some did not. Are you considering a BMW factory radio (big $$) or something else?

Can we talk you out of the idea all together? The factory radio setup, especially on the R1100RT and R1150RT has never been, how shall I say, much better than nothing. Especially at any speed much over a walk.

Personal opinion, I'd consider a MP3, XM radio, or similar solution with in-ear or in-helmet speakers before I'd cough up the big bucks to put in a radio.

Just my .02.

obiwankenobi

I'd like to have a sirius module or stand alone unit to listen to, have it in my car and love it. Haivng a built in system is not a requirement.

I have looked at the speakers that go in the helmet, good idea?

I'd like to have a sirius module or stand alone unit to listen to, have it in my car and love it. Haivng a built in system is not a requirement. I have looked at the speakers that go in the helmet, good idea?
If you go Sirius or XM only and not doing an intercom or bike to bike, then inexpensive Sony earbuds are a good solution. Custom earplugs will provide the greatest fidelity and overall noise reduction while helmet speakers are the easier to deal with 'cause all you have to do is put on the helmet....unless of course you already wear earplugs ... grin.gif

I own a 2003 1150RT that is wired for a radio....I have heard somewhere that the harness for a BMW Z3 will fit into the BMW MC radio plug with little modification. Does anyone know if this is true?? If so installation of a Clarion or other non-BMW radio system should be easy.... Anyone have experience installing a radio from Crutchfield or other retailer???

I own a 2003 1150RT that is wired for a radio....I have heard somewhere that the harness for a BMW Z3 will fit into the BMW MC radio plug with little modification. Does anyone know if this is true?? If so installation of a Clarion or other non-BMW radio system should be easy.... Anyone have experience installing a radio from Crutchfield or other retailer???

The Z3/early Z4 connector fits if you trim off two small lugs on the Z3 connector. I have a Kenwood casstte radio fitted to my R1150RT.

There is an excellent walkthrough on Sig's web site

Andy

Archived