IGNORED

Footpeg lowering kit?

fla_rider

CruisinCruzan

I have the same kit, the shifter rotates around a shaft and is secured by a nut which you can feel if you reach in there. If you can't get a tool on it due to space just take off the tupperware (very easy) and you will have easy access. Something you might consider the Touratech adjustable gear shifter, less than 50.00 and also adjustable for length. As for the brake I'm not sure how to do that the last time I read something about the brake lever it said to rotate there was an additional adjustment that had to be made to keep the brake from dragging. I am going to have my dealer lower it the next service, unless I figure out how to do it before then. Good Luck

I just bought the footpeg lowing kit from :

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.htm

if you have this could you fill me in on how you handled the change in shifter and brake pedal angle?

thanks

I bought the lengthened shifter from Suburban and it works very well. I adjusted my rear brake to have the same alignment with the new pegs. You do have to be careful to maintain the same free play in the pedal after you adjust it. If you're not comfortable doing that, you can take it to a dealer or friend whose a good wrench.
on the brake, what did you do to maintain free play ? something with the rod?
Yes. I'm at work so going from memory, but there is an adjustment bolt on the rod that connects the brake lever to the brake "system". You can loosen the bolt and turn the rod to change the length. I just noted the amount of free play before I changed the lever position (by eyeballing it and moving the lever with my hand) and then afterward adjusted the free play by turning the rod and then tightening the bolt to match what it was before. I don't know the actual measurement, I just eyeballed it and went for the same amount according to how it felt working the lever with my hand.
  • 2 weeks later...
John Moylan

are the new, lower pegs, the same width as the originals? Maybe it's my eyesight, but does the kit (by necessity ?) end up re-locating the pegs out a bit as well?

And, anyone tried/tested the other brands out there ??

are the new, lower pegs, the same width as the originals? Maybe it's my eyesight, but does the kit (by necessity ?) end up re-locating the pegs out a bit as well?

And, anyone tried/tested the other brands out there ??

The Suburban kit uses the stock pegs attached to new mounts. I suppose they're a bit wider, but not enough to notice IMHO.

I have them on now and yes they are out a bit farther, perhaps3/4-1". No major problem, just a bit of time to get ued to.

Archived