Oil Level Sensor Option

black99S

Just realized I don't have the oil-level sensor option (BC will not display oil level). Here I though with a Jan06 build it was behaving itself!

Anyone know if the oil-level sensor can be installed as an option by the dealer or is this a factory only install at time of build?

John Bentall

It is rather a waste of time. Mine flashes on when it is still half full.

I have an oil sensor - but still get down on my knees to check the sight glass before every long ride.

It works very well on my bike. However, it's not exactly the be all and end all. So, unless you can have it retro fitted cheaply, keep checking the oil in the time old fasion.

I've just returned from a 1100Km ride and was thinking the oil sensor might prove useful if a) it worked and b) the bike started using oil. Left home at 1900km with oil on the centre dot. Start of 2nd day 2300km oil still on the dot, but I commenced to flog the bike mercilessly in 38C (100F) heat and never stopped long enough to properly check the oil. Home at 3000km and after proper settling time the oil is 1/2 between dot and lower circle. I'll ask the dealer Monday about the cost and possibility.

It works very well on my bike. However, it's not exactly the be all and end all. So, unless you can have it retro fitted cheaply, keep checking the oil in the time old fasion.

If you're on a 06 with BC, you will (should, if not, get that installed under warranty) have oil level, it's part of the BC. As you may know, the function doesn't work until the bikes good and hot...

This is interesting, becase I think mine acts odd too. Here's what mine does. When I first turn on the bike, I can cycle through the BC options, and oil level won't even show up at all ( as you've stated Black995 ). BUT, then after riding for a bit, (atleast 15 mins) If I cycle through Oil Level will magically show up again! And if I am sometimes on any other feature, like temp, the oil level step will show up all of a sudden, even after I've already "checked" it.

Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmmm...Those CANBUS gremlins again

There is a fix for the 2005 RT's and early production 2006's. It involves replacing your old float with a new one plus a software update. It lowers the oil level trigger point by 4mm; reducing the chance of a false low oil warning.

Go to your dealer and ask them to make the change for you or like you said--use the site glass. grin.gif

Anyone know if the oil-level sensor can be installed as an option by the dealer or is this a factory only install at time of build?

Don't waste your time or money on this. I have half a mind to ask the dealer if it can be disabled next time I'm in for service. My oil could be just topped off, and after 250-300 miles it will start to come on sporadically. After the sight glass shows 3/4 full, it's pretty much on all the time.

It's gotten to the point where I only worry when the low oil level indicator is not displaying.

I agree - I thought BC meant I have oil sensor?confused.gif I don't see the oil level show up on the BC as I cycle through after start, nor when riding, nor when I cycle through the BC when stopped at a long traffic light whilst in neutral with the bike damn hot. What I have not done yet (or can't remember doing) is to cycle through the BC with bike hot after a few minutes of idle in neutral, no side stand and me astride it keeping it vertical whilst desperatly wanting a beer.

I'ne never seen the oil show up on the BC so I assumed it aint installed.

If you're on a 06 with BC, you will (should, if not, get that installed under warranty) have oil level, it's part of the BC. As you may know, the function doesn't work until the bikes good and hot...

This is interesting, becase I think mine acts odd too. Here's what mine does. When I first turn on the bike, I can cycle through the BC options, and oil level won't even show up at all ( as you've stated Black995 ). BUT, then after riding for a bit, (atleast 15 mins) If I cycle through Oil Level will magically show up again! And if I am sometimes on any other feature, like temp, the oil level step will show up all of a sudden, even after I've already "checked" it.

Not true in my case. Ordered my 2006 with computer and oil level. When delivered the oil sensor is in place but does not show show up when scrolling through the BC computer functions. The dealer has been in contact with the factory and is waiting for an update for some of the bikes built early in Jan 2006. Buckster

I do not believe the sensor can be installed afterwards. The reason I believe this is the engine case for bikes with the sensor has a different part number than the bikes without. The engines appear to be different so as to accomodate the sensor function. My 2005 has the sensor and now that I understand how it works, it does indeed work predictable. What do I mean by this? Well the bike should be stationary and at idle for at least ten seconds. In this condition the sensor correctly displays the oil level as ok 100% of the time when it is ok. The times when it displays the <!> is when I come to a stop with the clutch pulled in and the motor is idling. If I take off say within ten seconds the <!> will continue to be shown until the motor has idled for at least ten seconds with the motor level and not being stopped. When you come to a stop the oil will naturally slosh forward, hense the low condition being reported by the sensor. So, do I think it's worth? I guess I'm neutral on it. If the bike in question already has it don't let the extra cost stop you, but don't go out of your way to get it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask my dealer to pull the build data to confirm there is an oil sensor, then I'll grind him for the firmare fix.

Not true in my case. Ordered my 2006 with computer and oil level. When delivered the oil sensor is in place but does not show show up when scrolling through the BC computer functions. The dealer has been in contact with the factory and is waiting for an update for some of the bikes built early in Jan 2006. Buckster
Just realized I don't have the oil-level sensor option (BC will not display oil level). Here I though with a Jan06 build it was behaving itself!

It took me awhile on my '05 R1200RT to find if the oil sensor worked. I always kept a close eye on the oil level so the warning only came on one time. When I checked the glass there was oil still in sight. I only added about 8 oz and the warning went off. 8 oz makes little difference to the total volume and the only thing it did was keep me from worrying about the warning indicator. I still check the glass anyway so I wouldn't spend much to add the oil indicator. I do not know if one can be retrofitted into one without the option. Just check the glass and ride. (IMHO)

There is a fix for the 2005 RT's and early production 2006's. It involves replacing your old float with a new one plus a software update. It lowers the oil level trigger point by 4mm; reducing the chance of a false low oil warning.

Go to your dealer and ask them to make the change for you or like you said--use the site glass. grin.gif

What Limecreek said. My float is on order.

Ordered my 2006 with computer and oil level. When delivered the oil sensor is in place but does not show show up when scrolling through the BC computer functions. The dealer has been in contact with the factory and is waiting for an update for some of the bikes built early in Jan 2006. Buckster

I confirmed (BMW CANADA options book) that as of 1/1/06 the Oil level sensor is included with the BC option.

If your dealer figures our how to get it to display (my R12RT is an early Jan-06 build), let me know. My dealer will look into it at 10K service. He did note the oil sensor did not work very well and was anoying as it flashed all the time.

Archived