IGNORED

Cleaning chrome exhaust

zk12

Does anyone know how to remove melted plastic from my K1200GT's chrome exhaust? From a black Joe Rocket plasticized textile pant. I have tried every solution I have (household cleaners, paint remover, metal polish, rubbing compound).

Thanks

717300-IMG_1434.jpg.53e264b9521e422495e32e25f4425705.jpg

razorblade.

It's just sitting on top right?

and being plasitc or nylon like you say all the things you tried wont affect it.

so razorblade it off

Funny you should ask that question. Today I spent a FEW HOURS cleaning one of my chrome exhaust pipes as well as the cross-over pipe.

While riding one day in Gunnison we stopped for a rest and someone smelled plastic burning. Seems a plastic bag wrapped itself around my hot exhaust and pretty much melted on.

Back at the KOA campgroud Les_is_More looked it up on the Board and sent me the posts regarding this question (seems we're not the first to experience it smirk.gif). Do a search for "Exhaust cleaner recommendations needed" posted on 02/26/06 by "hophead".

Otherwise, someone suggested I use a plastic (picnic) knife while the exhaust was still a little hot & scrape the worst of it off; it worked great!! I followed up with some chrome polish and it looks fine.

Good luck,

Mike05

Soak a rag with laquer paint thinner or acetone. You will have to wait a while but the solvent will soften it enough to get it off. If you scratch the chrome with a razor you can't fix it, however the stainless parts can be polished out.

Archived