IGNORED

Laser Exhaust?

grasslander

ShovelStrokeEd

So the Laser with muffler is twice as loud as the stocker and without is at least 3 times, closer to 4 times as loud.

The Laser is quite popular with the guys riding 1100S bikes as it is the factory exhaust on the Boxer Cup bikes. I can attest that they are quite loud on those bikes. To the point of being somewhat annoying to ride in proximity.

I have a Ztechnique on my 1100S and it is louder than the stocker but with a deeper tone than the Laser. Those who have ridden with me will state that it is not offensive in level. I have ridden both alongside and behind my own bike, no, not stunting, and I cannot hear the thing with my helmet on and earplugs in place unless I get within 10 feet and the rider is on the gas hard.

So the Laser with muffler is twice as loud as the stocker and without is at least 3 times, closer to 4 times as loud.

The Laser is quite popular with the guys riding 1100S bikes as it is the factory exhaust on the Boxer Cup bikes. I can attest that they are quite loud on those bikes. To the point of being somewhat annoying to ride in proximity.

I have a Ztechnique on my 1100S and it is louder than the stocker but with a deeper tone than the Laser. Those who have ridden with me will state that it is not offensive in level. I have ridden both alongside and behind my own bike, no, not stunting, and I cannot hear the thing with my helmet on and earplugs in place unless I get within 10 feet and the rider is on the gas hard.

I had a Ztechnik on my otherwise stock R11S (now traded on R12RT) and was continually told by others they liked the sound. I did too. I rode with 11S guys with Laser pipes (and lenny inducts, S-H power filter and chips...) and found the Laser w/o baffle offensive loud even through earplugs. Besides, my 11S would out accelerate theirs.

Hi. I've got one in my ST. The one meaning Laser Duotech slip-on. The sound is with (slip-on only changed) very nice even in "race" configuration. That street-legal config sounds more like BMW-original. It is almost "whistling" with it like old VW-boxer engines.

That race setup gives nice deep sound like in "real engines" - not too loud though.

I just fitted a Staintune muffler (not with header) the sound is more to my liking but not offensive. The figures from Staintune are:

Stock - 88 dba

Staintune with restrictor in - 86 dba

Staintune with restrictor out - 90 dba

It is still legal in Australia with the restrictor out.

Ian cool.gif

grasslander

Db ratings test intensity or pressure not "loudness". The sound pressure is twice as high using the slip on without the restricter and the pressure is 3-4 times higher when using the down pipe and no restricter. The "loudness' will be much less (maybe 10-30% higher) though it may still be offensive to some.

I do wonder how this full system compares to the full Remus for sound and performance?

ShovelStrokeEd

Educate me, please. By what scale is "loudness" measured and what is the difference between loudness and sound pressure? I'm really curious as all noise attenuating devices I have ever encountered (shooting sports, printing industry, one summer as a weld chipper in a ship yard) all rate their attenuation in db.

grasslander

Most measurements for noise are accomplished using a db meter. Sound pressure is pretty constant and can be measured cheaply using a hand held device. It definitely represents something is louder than a reference source.

"Loudness" can only accurately be measured using sophisticated microphone based collection methods typically done in a lab controlled environment only. The loudness relationship to db is generally accepted to be 50% louder for each 10db of pressure. (so 3-6db is probably 10-30% higher) To complicate loudness measurement, frequency plays a huge role. Higher frequencies seem louder. Low frequency seem not as loud. A Kbike whine could be louder than the lower frequency of an exhaust, yet have the same db level. Anything in the 3-5 khz range will always seem louder due to being in the meat of the Human hearing range. But that's only as I understand it. I'm just a technologist. My Brother is the Audio/Broadcast Engineer who tried to explained it to me a few years ago as I set up my home theater.

Back to my previous question which delivers the higher HP vs lower db. Staintune-Remus-Laser?

I find it interesting that a Laser could be run on the street with the restricter and be equal db and hp to stock and probably only slightly higher db with their cat eliminator. Lighter than stock all the time. Remove the restricter, still below 96db and 7-8hp for track time? Similar for the Stain and Remus?

PS: I'm sorry to hear you are associated with the print industry. It's hard to get ink outa your blood:-)

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, I got off my lazy a$$ and went looking in Wikepedia and the relationship between power, or intensity is as I thought. An increase of 10 dB will result in a 10X increase in intensity. An increase of 3 db over the reference will be roughly 2X in intensity. 10^3/10=1.99 and change.

There are units for loudness which differs from sound pressure somewhat, as stated. The units are sone or phon. Very non-linear stuff as it is a subjective measurement and varies with both frequency and duration when you are talking about human hearing.

I now know a little bit and we all know how dangerous that can be. crazy.gif

• 1 year later...

I just bought a Laser exhaust with headers, and am having a hell of a time aligning everything.

Everything is loose, but the muffler just doesn't line up with the header near the clamp.

If I twist the pipe coming out of the muffler, I can get it on, but the angle of the muffler is not aligned with the bodywork attached to the footpeg.

Unless I get some help from you guys, I'm seriously considering removing the whole damn thing, and putting the stock one back on.

I have the Laser on my '05 and it was a hellofajob to get everything to line up.

Just for reference I had to send back TWO Remus full systems because it was impossible to get them to line up with the factory mounting bracket under the center stand area. So I went with the Laser, and although it didn't have the same connector it was still a bitch to align.

Following helpful instruction from the previous owner, ( yes it was a used system ), I loosened everything up and put a hydraulic jack under the center of the exhaust just in front of the center stand and lifted...until the mounting bracket at the passenger peg lined up then tightened everything up.

The muffler still wanted to twist counterclockwise causing the lower inside of the muffler to come within 1/4" of the edge of the rear tire. I have tried to re-align everything a few times but it just 'self-aligns' again after a little bit of riding. It never comes into contact with the tire but comes damn close...so I have learned to live with it.

Others on this board have had much more positive experiences with the Remus and perhaps also with the Laser, so maybe I'm just too OCD frown.gif. Its the perfectionist in me crazy.gif.

In my opinion you will never have an aftermarket system fit like the stock one will, but for the added benefits I am willing to live with the compromises, as long as safety isn't one of them thumbsup.gif

Jim W.

Archived