IGNORED

Rick Mayer Seat Arrived

Pictou

My Rick Mayer saddle arrived on Friday. I haven't had much of chance to try it out. I went for a short ride yesterday but no where near long enough to determine if the comfort level is increased. I had both the low and standard seats and I had him re-do the low one. I have big hopes for this seat since my Rick Mayer saddle on my 1150 was truly a 1000 mile per day saddle (tried and tested by yours truly - longest stretch I did was a little over 1100 miles in about 18 or 19 hours).

In terms of seat height I think that the actual seat height is not that far off the low seat. However it is quite a bit wider meaning that my reach to the ground is pretty similar to that of the standard height seat (which for me means that I cannot flat foot the bike). If your thinking of one of these seats and reach to the ground is an issue you should talk to him and see if he can narrow the front.

I tried the seat in both the low and high positions. I actually prefer it in the high except that my reach to the ground is even more difficult. I may opt to run it in the high position when I have a bunch of miles to cover and will drop it to the low if I am just scooting around.

In terms of the quality of the seat I am very pleased. It seems to be very well made and everything arrived pretty much on schedule. Unlike some I really had a pretty good customer experience. I sent him my front and he returned to me a front and a rear (I am exchanging my existing rear). I emailed him 10 days ago to say that I was going on a trip and if possible would like the seat. The next thing I know there is a big box from California sitting on my front porch.

I am off to my cottage in Nova Scotia next weekend. Itsabout 1800 kms (1700 miles) one way. I will let you know after that how I fare.

I had both the low and standard seats ... ... my reach to the ground is pretty similar to that of the standard height seat (which for me means that I cannot flat foot the bike).

I am off to my cottage in Nova Scotia next weekend. Itsabout 1800 kms (1700 miles) one way. I will let you know after that how I fare.

I'm riding with the low seat in the high position right now - and find 700km days are a pain in the but. I can just flat foot both feet if I stretch a little.

Is the standard seat in the low position the same height as the low seat in the high position?

Comments appreciated as I'm planning to swap seats for more comfort and better esthetics - low seat in high position looks wierd.

ps - 1800km is ~1,125miles. I think you used the US$ exchange rate in your conversion smile.gif

Both stock and low seat pans are the same.

My RM came back too high but was comfortable.Had Rick lower it and now I an reach the ground but I get the same old pains in the butt again.

Guess my butt just can/t do 1,000 mile days.

Going to try Russell next.

Both stock and low seat pans are the same. My RM came back too high but was comfortable.Had Rick lower it and now I an reach the ground but I get the same old pains in the butt again....

That's the reason I'm hesitant to go aftermarket (last Corbin experience was so-so) for a new seat since the forum discussion on seat width-comfort-height relationship seems critical - especially for 5'7" guys like me . Thus I want to exhaust the stock BMW options first.

Anyone know if the BMW standard seat in the low position the same height as the BMW low seat in the high position?

Comments appreciated as I'm planning to swap seats with the dealer in a last attempt for more comfort and better esthetics - low seat in high position looks wierd.

The seat pans are the same but Rick told me that starting with the lower seat would yield a lower seat. Not sure why (becaue I didn't bother to ask).

Both stock and low seat pans are the same.

My RM came back too high but was comfortable.Had Rick lower it and now I an reach the ground but I get the same old pains in the butt again.

Guess my butt just can/t do 1,000 mile days.

Going to try Russell next.

bakerzdosen
That's the reason I'm hesitant to go aftermarket (last Corbin experience was so-so) for a new seat since the forum discussion on seat width-comfort-height relationship seems critical - especially for 5'7" guys like me . Thus I want to exhaust the stock BMW options first.

Anyone know if the BMW standard seat in the low position the same height as the BMW low seat in the high position?

Comments appreciated as I'm planning to swap seats with the dealer in a last attempt for more comfort and better esthetics - low seat in high position looks wierd.

Well, I did just the opposite. I initially had the "normal" seat on the bike, but they let me swap it out at the 600 miler (two days later) for the low seat from their other ST. It was just too uncomfy. The low seat (high in front, low in back, and I'm 6'1") is better, but after about an hour or so, I find myself on the pegs trying to get some "seat relief", and then I'm usually good for another 30 minutes. And that's an improvement over the normal seat for me. I'm not sure which seat-induced riding position I like better though as I hadn't read about MYRP at that point. So overall, I feel I'm in a better riding position now, and I'm sure that helps.

Did a couple of 1000 km days over the last week, and my oem seat is only good for about 2 hours before i get sharp pains. Will wait with anticipation on your post trip review. Have a great ride ! sb

Do you have the oem standard or low seat?

Did a couple of 1000 km days over the last week, and my oem seat is only good for about 2 hours before i get sharp pains.

Trying to get one to fit perfect; take a Russell and have it fixed. Sounds weird, but worked out just perfect. Can now touch ground easy from the front/ sliding up not a problem. Cost more, but well worth it. Mr. Peters took apart Russell and added Comfort foam in front and on rear passenger seat, gave me a backrest and her a non slip seat.

718320-Picture016.jpg.1595fbc6f780891c69057ab0a3fcfcf5.jpg

MooreDriven

I sent my pans in last week. I am hoping to get my seats back in a few weeks. I have a Corbin that just doesn't work for me. I'm 6'4", so touching the ground is not an issue. The Corbin increased the overall seat height about 2". More than expected. I'm expecting the RM to equal the height of the stock. I have a 5k ride planned for October, so I'm really hoping for a comfortable seat from Rick.

Pictou, I am looking forward to your full review as well. I ordered my RM seat on July 10, and got a production date of August 10. I have a reach to ground issue, and spoke to Rick on two different occasions to discuss my situation and the options. I am using his seat pans, so I did not have to surrender my seat for 6 weeks.

My customer service experience has been very good, actually. I left a VM, he called me back twice and we discussed the details. I also spoke to Courtney, in his office, and she was very helpful as well. I am anxiously awaiting the seat in August!

Enjoy your new seat!

Lynne

When Pictou (me) gets to Pictou NS on Sunday (where my cottage is) I will have a pretty good idea on how the seat works. I will try and post some impressions next week (if I can stand the dial up connection at the cottage).

Maybe a rag-tag bunch of us should ride to your cabin, drink a few beers and swap seat stories directly. grin.gif

When Pictou (me) gets to Pictou NS on Sunday (where my cottage is) I will have a pretty good idea on how the seat works. I will try and post some impressions next week (if I can stand the dial up connection at the cottage).
Maybe a rag-tag bunch of us should ride to your cabin, drink a few beers and swap seat stories directly. grin.gif

Even better would be to swap seats and try out the different versions on our own bikes. Let's get a Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, Russell, Wunderlich, Corbin, etc. and do some real life test rides. While we're at it, bring some aftermarket windshields so we can try those out also.

Now where exactly is this cottage? Nova Scotia?

Yes wouldn't be nice to be able to test each seat prior to purchase!

I now have a Russell on order trying to get one that works best. My RM is ok but was too tall for me. I kept falling over dopeslap.gif Rick was super and cut down the seat, now I can reach the ground better but I get the same old pains after 500 miles and each day it gets worse.

I know my problem is me. Old age, bad joints,poor riding style and injuries all come out and make me hurt. Gosh in the cage when I get out after 200 miles I walk like a 100 year old. frown.gif

Yet I will try again to find the best solution. My riding friend Andy uses a comfort seat and gets along fine with it so BMW seats do fit some people.

The Russell is due in OCT so I'll post then.

I now have a Russell on order trying to get one that works best. My RM is ok but was too tall for me. I kept falling over dopeslap.gif Rick was super and cut down the seat, now I can reach the ground better but I get the same old pains after 500 miles and each day it gets worse.

I know my problem is me. Old age, bad joints,poor riding style and injuries all come out and make me hurt. Gosh in the cage when I get out after 200 miles I walk like a 100 year old. frown.gif

... ...The Russell is due in OCT so I'll post then.

The problem is not you, it is the seat foam in the RM seat. Rick uses the same old seat foam that came in your seat and just glues on some pieces to the sides to make the seat wider and then shapes the foam to give it that custom look. The OEM foam is no good for long distance riding, not nearly enough support for your butt.

On the other hand, the Russell seats use a built in suspension system, similar to the springs found in your favorite recliner in your living room. The folks at Russell are able to adjust the tension of the spring system to best suit your weight, ala a perfect fit.

I have many 1000 miles days and even a 1600 mile day on my Russell without so much as a wimper from my paper butt! thumbsup.gif

I have tried a RM and a Bill Mayer and they just don't compare to a Russell seat. After nearly 75K miles on my Russell seat, I'll never use another after market seat. And the quality is first rate, excellent!

I know there are a few riders that will swear by their Rick Mayer saddle, but there are many more that are very unhappy. Lucky for you, is all I can say. On the flip-side, rarely will you find a dissatisfied Russell saddle owner.

Archived