IGNORED

Am I Pushing It?

Beeming

I've got about 1600kms (1000 miles) on my 06 R1150R and is already overdue for the first service, my dealer is about 2 hours away and will have to put on another 250kms to get the bike there, plus it will be another 2 weeks till I have a day off to take it in. Should I stop riding it now? How far is it safe to go before the first service?

ShovelStrokeEd

While there is a reason they call it the 1000km service there is no reason to stop riding the bike. Make the earlist appointment you can meet.

The most important factor in this service is the oil change and, if you are at all concerned, you might be able to arrange for the dealer to do that portion early and the rest at a date that is more convenient for you. The oil change takes less than an hour start to finish working on the pavement in your driveway. You will need a couple of tools, an oil filter wrench and whatever wrench fits the drain plug on your model. Parts are, again, simple. Oil filter and oil. One of the former and 4 quarts of the latter.

I've got about 1600kms (1000 miles) on my 06 R1150R and is already overdue for the first service, my dealer is about 2 hours away and will have to put on another 250kms to get the bike there, plus it will be another 2 weeks till I have a day off to take it in. Should I stop riding it now? How far is it safe to go before the first service?

Ride it. Just be sure it has oil in it. Untill about 20k the BMs like oil. 1000 mi. it should need about a quart.

Cheers

wave.gifSteve

duckbubbles

Hi, Beeming-

My local dealer tech (whom I've known for more than 20 years) cautioned me not to exceed 1000 miles by too much before the 600 mile service. I scheduled the service when I picked up the bike. Soonest was one month away. I ended up not riding it for more than a week before I could bring it in at the scheduled time. I've heard guys on this forum say they've gone 2500 miles before the first service. Maybe they won't have a problem. I agree that there is good reason to get the initial service done in a timely manner.

Frank

ShovelStrokeEd

Not really on the torque thing. The head gasket will take a 'set' as it is heat cycled and the head should be torqued in a timely fashion. The difference between 600 and a thousand miles won't mean much there so long as the bike isn't subjected to a lot of full throttle operation.

Of far greater importance is that oil change. Anything that is knocked loose or scraped off or worn off winds up in the oil, including particles of silicone carbide from the cylinder walls and their interaction with the rings. Getting that contaminated oil out of there is paramount.

The rest of the stuff shouldn't be neglegted, cylinder head retorque, valve adjustment, checking of fasteners, a throttle body synch, the whole 9 yards.

Archived