IGNORED

Thermometer for bike

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

Does anybody know of a air thermometer that has a remote sensor so it does not pick up the hot sunshine on the dash? I had the Radioshack units. I liked them. They went bad between 6 month and a year, but at $10 I could do it. They are discontinued.

Waterproof would be nice. The Radioshack was not.

Global_Rider

Paul,

You might find one of these at the local auto parts store. I got this one at Louis in Germany, but they are quite common.

It isn't waterproof, but it has been through a bit of rain without fogging up or failing. At about $5, I couldn't go wrong. I use 3M Dual Lock to hold it on.

digitalthermometer6xe.jpg

Paul Mihalka

Thanks, Alex, but if the temperature sensor is inside the box and not remote, on a sunny day it is worthless.

Paul,

one of our UK members, George, supplies to the USA a good thermometer which has a remote sensor and fits beautifully on the 1150RT. The unit display unit is compact and would mount on all sorts of other bikes.

For more info see his web site.

Andy

$10 @ Pep Boys + some zip ties. Not waterproof but has survived being parked in downpours quite few times. Mounted the "outdoor" sensor down the front brake line to keep it out of the sun and ahead of engine heat.

thermometer_web.jpg

mount_web.jpg

Draftermike

I've got the same unit as GelStra but got it at Wal-Mart. Had to put a little stronger spring for more preasure against the battery but it has been working years through lots of weather. It's kinda sheltered under the dash from the harshest rains but it takes a lot of punishment. It gets so hot when temps are over a hundred something combined with heat from the oil cooler, that the read-out gets funky till it cools down, but it just keeps working. I think I get something like two years service out of a thriple A battery.

Paul, I've been using the Ice Warner thermometer from JC Whitney #ZX158002A. I put the remote sensor under the mirror (after shortening the lead) which is out of the sun and as shielded from engine heat as it can be. Doesn't say waterproof but mounted next to the RID on the RT I've had no problems.

Paul,

I bought this inside-outside thermometer and fitted it under the dash on the main fairing support tube.

It has an inbuilt sensor and a remote sensor that I have fitted in the nose of my RT behind the intake grille and out of the sun.

I bought it here:

hayneskld\thermo.jpg

Lots of good suggestions so far. I'll throw out another. Aerostich's #4623. Two temps/voltage/clock/elapse timer.

I used one of these digital Mini-remote units from Aerostitch ($17.00) with the sensor mounted up front under the headlight area on a K75RT and it worked well.....Mounted with velcro and zip-ties.....

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Time-Temperature-p-3-c-265.html

Phil..........Redbrick

For clarification:

4268_1sa.jpg

-Eff

Paul asking about thermometers got me to dig out the one shown here and lay it on the bike (1200RT)in the garage to check out the one on the bike...Bike shows 73 degrees, which I know is wrong..We're having a heat wave and it's still in the 80's...The other one reads 83.4, or thereabouts...Wondering why difference...Does bike have to be running?....A CANbus thingy?......Or is thermometer really that far off?

Phil..........Redbrick

Archived