Bike to Bike intercom question

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

On my '06 RT I have an Autocom Super Pro that I have connected to the kenwood free talk xl with the autocomm ptt switch for b2b communication. While riding with my wife I would like her to have her own PTT switch. What I would like to do is splice a PTT switch into the wires coming from my present PTT switch. Do you think that would work? I e-mailed Autocom America and they said no, but I wonder if they just don't want me doing something to the unit it was not designed for and then bitchin about it later on (which I would not do since I follow the creed of the tinkerer/experimenter "If you're not willing to pay more money because you screwed it up, don't do it!"). The second thing is getting an otter case that I would keep the kenwood in and put a jack and some cable on it and then attach the antenna to the top of the top box or the rack when I'm solo. This would protect the unit from rain. Would having the cable from the unit to the antenna affect the antenna function (I am quite ignorant about these matters as if you couldn't figure that out!). TIA

Warranty and support issues aside, as long as the position switch of both PTT were kept the same (e.g. not one in PTT and the other in VOX position) I think it would work just fine.

A proper impedance antenna extension cable will not effect the performance. But I hardly expect it's necessary. A lot of people run with their FRS inside something somewhere, antenna and all, with no noticeable degradation.

Archived