IGNORED

Exhausts

aal3

Greetings. I'm a new owner of a 2004 1150rt. Great bike. I'm thinking of perhaps a new exhaust, and wanted to get impressions of remus vs. staintune. I understand the remus touring muffler is quieter, less expensive, and in the titanium model requires no upkeep like the staintune.

The only thing to be gained by spending 1k on a new exhaust on your bike will be a nominal weight savings. No engine performance to be gained that way. You are also going to be removing the catalitic converter, thereby increasing exhaust emissions bncry.gif. I have never heard an R motor that really sounded good, aftermarket will just make it a bit louder.

That said, if you're going to do it anyway, the Remus would be my choice.

Hey,

I just purchased a laser titanium system and chip from omex for 910.00 ,big difference. Also bought a Cee Bailey screen, corbin (huge!!!! improvement) Piaa lights and K&N filter. My '04 1150rt is a blast.

If you are feeling an improvement for your type of riding it is money well spent. And if someone knocks the K&N ask them for this study that claims too much dirt is passing through. I have yet to hear of any problems caused by this filter even on high mileage BMWs.

I've got a used, but still in excellent shape K&N for an 1150 that you can have for shipping and a $20 donation to this site.

My observations on my RTs were no additional performance or gas mileage noted. What I did notice was some fine dust inside the airbox past the filter. Yes, the seal was ok. In addition, I noticed that the oil got dirtier much more quickly than when I went back to the stock filter.

I have the Remus Aluminum Grand Prix with the pre-muffler or resonator that replaces the cat. I love the deeper tone and it's not loud enough to be an annoying drone when riding all day. I found mine here in the BMWST classifieds for half of the retail price. Chances are good a similar exhaust system will show up when someone returns their bike to stock before they sell or trade up for a newer bike. I think you'd be happy with the Staintune or the Remus street version. Staintune comes with a removable baffle at the rear of the muffler so you can change the tone/volume. Remus may have the same feature on their new products.

The exhaust in the pic is very similar to the Remus I have.

rtside.jpg

Get out to some club gatherings or local rallies and check out the BMW's with aftermarket exhaust systems. You really need to see and hear them in person. Be aware that either comes with or without the middle resonator. Running a straight pipe instead of the resonator increases the volume considerably.

You removed your CAT?? You Monster!!! You're causing global warming, pollution, noise, etc, etc.

Now ride and have fun!! clap.gif

If I can find some pipes like yours used I'll buy them. Did you replace the cylinder pipes too-the whole setup?

The factory Y pipe is retained. Everything behind it is replaced. I don't know what's in the resonator but it looks like whats in the factory cat! Sort of a spiral wound corrogated looking material. Same stuff as the pics from the "cut open your stock exhaust and remove your cat" thread.

My observations on my RTs were no additional performance...

You wouldn't happen to have any before&after dyno charts to show?

--

Mikko

On the subject of Staintune exhausts, I was told that they discolor, and require a fair amount of labor, steel wool polishing, to get them to stay nice. The few staintunes I've seen looked ok; not discolored. Anyone have any experience with this. Maybe this refers to the cat converter part and not the muffler part?

On the subject of Staintune exhausts, I was told that they discolor, and require a fair amount of labor, steel wool polishing, to get them to stay nice. The few staintunes I've seen looked ok; not discolored. Anyone have any experience with this. Maybe this refers to the cat converter part and not the muffler part?

The stainless will turn to a light golden color over time. Most people don't worry about it. Yes it takes some elbow grease to keep them looking new if that is your desire. The aluminum can on my RT (Remus)looks great with a squirt of WD40 and a clean rag to buff it off. The resonator is stainless but you don't see much of it anyway.

Hey Bob,

I checked the FAQ, and what I see is this... For the dollars spent I see a vendors claim of, what, 2-3 PEAK hp. If you can feel that, you are better than the rest of us. The exhaust will make the bike louder, somewhat, depending on brand. If you are into the loud pipes thing, go for it. On an R bike you are not going to see a worthwhile performance improvement for the money spent. The heads are the restrictive point in the system. If you want to make the bike faster you are going to have to get to the machine shop and or get some track training. K bikes are a different story. There are some gains to be made there w/ intake filters and exhaust.

Archived