IGNORED

Clock Weirdity Or Just Me ?

Redbrick

Riding today on R1200RT I looked at the clock and swear I saw about "40:52" ......It was 10:52 at the time....Looked again and maybe a third time but couldn't really concentrate on it and ride...Read "40:52"....A short time later it was at 10:58"..

At lunch I told my wife and a friend about it and got that look...."Yea, sure".......

Did I slip into the "Other Side" or has anybody else witnessed strange things with the clock? confused.gif

Help....

Phil.......Redbrick

Oh, oh...........Things not looking good here crazy.gif.......Too many damaged cerebral cells?.......

Phil..........Redbrick

This absolutely confirms my theory of quantum physics events happening on the RT. You temporarily entered another reality, or dimension. It can also be proven by the various GPS anomolies we are seeing when riding the RT, like top speeds over 1,000 MPH. Don't be afraid.

(While in the "other" dimension last week, I found that my "other" wife and kids were rich. Gotta find a way to stay there.)

Uhh, yea, like posted earlier, BMW clocks/displays never screw up, haha....

I even noticed on Monday while riding that the bottom couple rows of pixels on my screen were flashing and intermittently darkening. It stopped though, so Im not going to have the dealer waste time on it. BUT, I will

keep an eye on it, and if it returns with persistence, I will have it attended. That's all I recommend with your clock. If it comes back and stays, take it in

Yep, direct sunlight is not it's friend

Yes......The display was in direct sun at the time......I guess I wasn't "seeing" things.......

Phil............Redbrick

Now if only I could get the damn thing to display 24-hour time... baldy.gif

You know, that is an interesting question. Why won't it display a 24 hour readout?

AD

You know, that is an interesting question. Why won't it display a 24 hour readout?

AD

seem to remember it being a dealer thing they can turn on.

Tuesday's the 600-miler, I'll find out and report back.

Report from Europe today suggests that it's a regional setting, as the Yurpeen bikes are already in 24hr mode.

On the CAN-BUS bikes (only) this can be changed by the dealer.

OK - If I focus on the reflection I can see me smiling face in me helmet. However, I respectfully disagree about the LCD being unreadable.

I have no difficulty in reading the Tach, Spedo or LCD display. I've just come home from a 1000km ride in temperatures of 34C-42C (93F-107F) with sun in front, beside, above or at my back and the display was easily readable at all times. I'm not sure if the display adjustment for brightness impacts the readability LCD in sunlight, but I've set mine to the middle position.

First rays of sunshine and the lcd display on mine becomes unreadable anyway…

We're referring to extended periods of intense direct sunlight. On every RT I've seen, a long time with direct sunlight heats up the LCD display and the cells turn black, like a "burn". Although it quickly goes away after the bike is repositioned ( or riden ) in a direction when the sunlight isn't directly hitting the screen. But, when it happends, it definetely is unreadable...I;ll try and remember to grab a pic next time it happens

On the CAN-BUS bikes (only) this can be changed by the dealer.

Ahh, cool! I'll have to have that done the next time I'm there. I remember alot of the 1150 clocks being 24 only ( GS, RT? ).

Then ride it and don't leave it sit in the sun smirk.gif

Seriously, I've a Jan-06 build RT. Stopped on the last ride for lunch - 11am, 38C, sunlight direct on the display for 1-hour and it was clearly readable when I started the bike. Stopped for road repaving for 1/2 hr, sitting on fresh asphalt in 40C with sun on the display - LCD was clear on restart.

Perhaps BMW has actually improved something? ooo.gif

We're referring to extended periods of intense direct sunlight.... a long time with direct sunlight heats up the LCD display and the cells turn black, like a "burn". Although it quickly goes away after the bike is repositioned ( or riden ) ....
Perhaps BMW has actually improved something?
Perhaps. But Jeff's not dreaming this up. A lot of GSs, includling ours, do it too.
Perhaps BMW has actually improved something?
Perhaps. But Jeff's not dreaming this up. A lot of GSs, includling ours, do it too.
My GS is a January 06 build, and I noticed it this past weekend. It didn't exactly make it "unreadable," but it sure was a lot fainter. Perhaps I need to play with the adjustability of the LCD a bit. I've been too busy riding the last week to play with the electronics!
Perhaps I need to play with the adjustability of the LCD a bit.
Humm, I didn't know there was any ajustability to the display. Tell me more...
Perhaps I need to play with the adjustability of the LCD a bit.
Humm, I didn't know there was any ajustability to the display. Tell me more...

Yeah, clue me in too.

After the 600 mile service yesterday, it sure is nice to read the 24-hour clock thumbsup.gif

To adjust the backlight intensity on the LCD ( and the backlighting everywhere else -speedo/tacho ), press the softbutton on the RH side of the LCD display ( the LH is the trip-button for reference ). Don't hold the button down, otherwise you'll be setting the clock. Anyways, press the button and release, and the bottom of the display will show boxes that correlate to display brightness. Press the same button again to change these values.

To adjust the backlight intensity on the LCD ( and the backlighting everywhere else -speedo/tacho ), press the softbutton on the RH side of the LCD display ( the LH is the trip-button for reference ). Don't hold the button down, otherwise you'll be setting the clock. Anyways, press the button and release, and the bottom of the display will show boxes that correlate to display brightness. Press the same button again to change these values.
Ah, I see. No RH button on the 12GS though, only the LH clock set one. Brian though has a 12GS. Thought he might no something about adjusting it on the GS.
Ah, I see. No RH button on the 12GS though, only the LH clock set one. Brian though has a 12GS. Thought he might no something about adjusting it on the GS.
Nope, just my naivety that I assumed there would be one. What LCD doesn't have a brightness setting? Heck, my $5 Caller ID panel I bought 10 years has one. Oh well, chalk up another "it doesn't have this for $16,000?" GS things. eek.gif

Archived