IGNORED

Battery Warning

BeniciaRT_GT

BeniciaRT_GT

I posted this in the GT Forum (K-bikes board), but thought I'd try it here also. I know there is a much larger population here (plus this is my family really). I’m pretty sure the canbus system works pretty much the same on the new R and K bikes so “everyone in the pool” so to speak!

As I was riding to work this a.m. (this was a few weeks ago) it got a little chilly for the gear I was wearing, so I decided to try out the heated features. Grips and seat to low. Five minutes later, ahhhh, that is kind of nice...and then it happened:

1 minute after that the red triangle/exclamation point comes on and the battery symbol is displayed. I immediately started "load shedding" by turning off the seat and grips. I also turned off my gps/XM radio etc. (These are not through the bike, but directly to the battery.) These don’t' pull much in the amp department, but I wanted all the electrons I could muster to make sure I could get to work in order to get to an important meeting. This afternoon the bike starts fine but the message remains. I have had no time to look this up yet, but assume it means the alternator is not charging.

I wondered if any of you wonderful and knowledgeable sorts have seen this before. (Oh yea, the wire from this to that came loose on mine...blah....blah...)

Update:

When I cranked it up this afternoon, I checked against the office building windows and the low beam was on. good sign, as to me, that means the bike was over 12.5 volts...maybe. I assume that is how the initial "light coming on after start" feature works! I checked when I got home and the light got brighter as I revved the motor. Another "phew!"

I put it on the charger and it was charged in a very short while. Voltage at rest was 13.2. On but not started = 12.8 ish (I didn't write anything down) and after start (about a 1.5 drop) it was rock steady at 14.1! The message remains, but at least I know the bike is charging/running right. It must be a sense wire of some sort!

I’m scared to take it in as the dealer may hold it hostage and I have a trip coming up. I am convinced this is an indication problem and net really a charging problem, so I’m comfortable riding it this way.

I just wondered if anyone had this message and had the fix for it…

Just a note to remind you to start with the basics. When I had battery troubles at Gunnison, the cause was a loose battery connection (negative terminal). Since you've added accessories, I wouldn't rule this out. If all is well, try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if the warning light persists.

After discovering the problem with my connection, I nonetheless had to replace the battery. My theory is that the deep discharge that I put it through a couple of times (due to the bad connection) made it give up the ghost. I've heard a few stories of the stock battery going bad on our hexheads in fairly short order.

Good luck. thumbsup.gif

Dennis Andress

I am convinced this is an indication problem and not really a charging problem

As in "Hold my beer and watch this...." Take it to the dealer and have them tell you so, don't assume it for yourelf. With diagnostic information you can make an informed decision about where you want to be stranded.

P.S. My bike is hostage waiting on clutch parts and a left radiator so I'd be happy if you joined me.... smirk.gifsmirk.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
from the moderator:

This topic has been moved

Post doesn't specify, but this appears to be a problem with a K12GT, not a hexhead.

It is a problem with the GT, but the canbus/indications system (I assume, and we all know what that means!) is much the same. I'm sorry if it was in the wrong place, but I know this K forum gets hardly any traffic and the Hexhead folks would be where I wanted to see if they had this kind of problem (RT,ST, etc.)

Any way, that is why I posted it there...sorry for the faux pau, and thanks for moving it...

Dennis,

I have been running it this way for a couple of weeks, and even left it sitting for a few days off the charger to see how it would do. Started right up, but I'm not sure the battery is fine...

Also: no thanks, I really don't want to be in your club right now with a flippin' new bike!!! (I'm not amused)

Mike,

Thanks for the idea, and I'll try a full disconnect to see how that affects it. I'm still leaning towards the battery being the culprit.

[rant on]

You know the more fancy this stuff gets, the worse it behaves! these fancy batteries give people more trouble and cost so much more (in price and equipment to flippin' charge them) than I ever had with a good old lead acid batterey! I could go years with one and never have a problem.

AAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

[rant off]

Okay, now I feel better after a little scream!!!

I'd guess that your guess (a failing battery) is the most likely culprit, but maybe that's just because I've had recent experience with that very problem. There is, I'd venture to guess, a much higher incidence of battery failure than charging system failure.

BTW, I left a pointer in the Hexhead forum, thinking you might get a few more hits that way.

Get the dealer to connect the diagonotic computer and read the fault codes. Some times the fault goes away, but only the dealer can reset the fault indicator - this happend on my 99R11S with the ABS once.....

BeniciaRT_GT
BTW, I left a pointer in the Hexhead forum, thinking you might get a few more hits that way.

I saw that! Thanks Mike!!!

BeniciaRT_GT
Get the dealer to connect the diagonotic computer and read the fault codes. Some times the fault goes away, but only the dealer can reset the fault indicator - this happend on my 99R11S with the ABS once.....

Yes, but the Canbus system touts one of the advantages is it self resets...And it does so, but comes back after start up of the motor.

The ABS on the old ones "latched" faults and did need a manual reset. This one shouldn't need it, but we'll see soon enough...

Dennis Andress

Yes, but the Canbus system touts one of the advantages is it self resets...And it does so, but comes back after start up of the motor.

So its still finding a problem after a reset. That does not sound like an indication problem to me. I would suspect the battery.

larry kaiden

it could be the battery. DonGold, a fellow new GT owner had the same problem and took it back ( towed) to the dealer, manhattan BMW, and they replaced the battery. So far, we have not heard from him as he is doing a cross country tour, so i guess everything is A OK....

I have an 06 K12S. And if it is out there I have installed it on my bike, well almost. I use the Centech AP-1 fuse block off the battery which is activated by the parking light. The bike has all options except the computer. I am running the Garmin 2730, a Midland radio, a Beltronics radar detector, bright white bulbs, and the Starcom Advance com system. The radar detector is set to display current power output and it has never fallen below 14.6 volts and generally reports 14.7 volts. I also have the BMW alarm installed which I run every night and it is sometimes on for several days at a time between running the bike.

I don't have any problems. You should look for a problem somewhere.

TomB

Archived