IGNORED

Query about schools for Atlanta area riders

sideways

One of my favorite relatives in Atlanta tells me he wants to start honing his riding skills. He's an experienced rider who rides a Road Glide. He's not a sport bike rider. He rides most often in a group, but the group he rides with is not your run-of-the-mill cruiser putters. I understand, for example, there are Ducati and S3 riders in his group.

Anyway, I know the Schwantz school is up the road, but has anybody had any experience with Atlanta Motorcycle School or its owner Ken Murray?

http://www.jkminc.com/

Or other Atlanta area schools?

Thanks much! grin.gif

Brad, check with Christine Davis (or her husband Mark), here on the site. Christine has worked with him some and can give you some specific feedback.

Ed Bargy does some stuff, too, but I would not recommend him for your friend. I wouldn't recommend Schwantz, either, as your friend will probably want to ride his bike, and there's no way to pass that thing off as a Suzuki (the only thing allowed).

Based on what you've described, think about sending him to Pridmore's thing. They have the most structured program for riders on those kinds of bikes.

Ken Murray is a first class gent. I don't know what your friend is looking for but I would think that Ken could tailor something for him as he works mostly one on one.

Gil Horsley

Atlanta, GA

I've taken three of Ken's classes (AMS) and think they are primarily tailored to beginners. I am very glad I took them (as a beginner) and did became a much better rider as a result. He was not a proponent of group riding unless that has changed over time. I remember his response, to one of my group riding questions, being something like "more than a couple of riders is a gang". Since your friend already has lots of riding under belt, I'd recommend a more intense training class, like Keith Code Class (they're not much further down the road-Alabama). Pridmore (taken at Barber) was okay since it was my first time out on a track but in retrospect, I wished I'd gone straight to the Code School (also taken at Barber). The time investment (1-day) was the same but the instruction (although more $) was superior to Pridmore!! Both times, I rode my bike, Yamaha FZ6. I've realized more riding improvement since Keith Code School but then again, I was looking for more spirited riding. That's awesome that your friend is interested in more education after having ridden so much!

That's awesome that your friend is interested in more education after having ridden so much!

Yeah, I'm impressed, too. Me thinks it's no coincidence that he started mentioning working on his skills shortly after a trip up to the Dragon.

grin.gifgrin.gif

I'm definitely in agreement on the excellence of the Code school.

As it turns out, my Hog ridin' relative has signed up for the Schwantz school with some of his riding buddies. I have to remember to tell him that Gixxers don't have floorboards!

Anyway, thanks for the replies, everyone.

And pardon my ignoramus, but I presume that Ms. HoonTang is a very close relative of Ms. Davis?

Anyway, thanks for the replies, everyone.

And pardon my ignoramus, but I presume that Ms. HoonTang is a very close relative of Ms. Davis?

They are identical twins but with completely different personalities! wink.gif

Archived