IGNORED

Cold start - getting her into 1st gear.....

lthj75

Shes new - just hit 500 miles but on each cold start - I need to futz to get her into 1st gear until shes warm. This is not an issue when I'm trying to leave my driveway, but it is when I had it in N at a light the other day at a light about 5 miles after a cold start - I was adjusting my glasses. Light changes and I go to put her in gear - DOH!

Is this the norm for a new bike - I need to go pick up my plates - I'm hoping this is an easy adjustment the dealer can do for me when I'm there.

I think it's the norm. Just barely engage the clutch and snick it into gear as you squeeze the lever again and it'll be fine.

Shes new - just hit 500 miles but on each cold start - I need to futz to get her into 1st gear until shes warm. This is not an issue when I'm trying to leave my driveway, but it is when I had it in N at a light the other day at a light about 5 miles after a cold start - I was adjusting my glasses. Light changes and I go to put her in gear - DOH!

Is this the norm for a new bike - I need to go pick up my plates - I'm hoping this is an easy adjustment the dealer can do for me when I'm there.

They all do that; really. Do what Rider said.
Paul Mihalka
I think it's the norm. Just barely engage the clutch and snick it into gear as you squeeze the lever again and it'll be fine.
Another quick way is just keeping some downward pressure on the shift lever while you carefully let out the clutch and it will snick right in. This can happen any time even when the bike is well worn in.
Another quick way is just keeping some downward pressure on the shift lever while you carefully let out the clutch and it will snick right in. This can happen any time even when the bike is well worn in.

I prefer this method.

LordHumongous

Mine does the same.

If you could see the transmission disassembled it would make perfect sense to you why this happens.

Inside the transmission the gears are on shafts and slid back and forth with a fork on a groove, the gear engagement dogs that have to mate together for the bike to go into gear sometimes don't line up. sometimes these parts do not turn enough to get into alignment, so when you hold the lever down with a little pressure and let the clutch out a little this lets the engine side gear move and they slide together.

Here is a link, This is similar to our transmissions.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm

ShovelStrokeEd

Another alternative is to roll the bike back slightly while maintaining that same downward pressure on the shifter. It might take as much as a foot or so, but into the gear it will go. Avoids that slight lurch when using the other method. I use both, depending on how time pressed I am to get into gear. I don't like sitting at a light in neutral and rarely do it, unless it is a long, long light and my 6 is covered.

Mine too.........6,500 miles and still doing it...Part of the "character" of the bike...I can remember having to fiddle to get into gear on some dirt bikes......

Phil..........Redbrick

Archived