IGNORED

Speedo lamp is out? How do I replace it?

Jimmy2Time

Last night, riding on my 99 R1100RTP, I noticed that the speedo light was no longer working. So I had to guess how fast I was going.

How do I replace this bulb and is it relatively straight forward? Can I get the bulb at any parts store?

I assume I have to remove part of the fairing to access this?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I assume I have to remove part of the fairing to access this?

I don't believe so. I think (can anyone confirm?) this is the same as the indicator lights directly below speedo/tach (high beam, turn signals, alt/oil, etc.). Reach up from below and feel the backside of the speedo for a soft rubber fitting with wires going into it. Pull it out, wiggle a bit if you have to. Check/replace bulb; can prolly find replacement at nearby auto parts store.

Let me know if this is completely wrong. crazy.gif

Just had to do this on my 97rt! You will need to take off the front dash cover, disconnect the left side switches , you can leave the RID connected, just move the cover out of the way. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the tach /speedo/idiot cluster. Pull out the cluster and undo the nuts holding the speedo and pull speedo out! The lights are 1.7w wave.gif

"94areo" has you on the right track. A couple more tidbits of info, the lamps are in rubber boots/sockets pressed into the back side of the speedo and tach. As mentioned, you have to gain access to the rear of the inst. cluster and they then pull out. You may have to clip a few ties as you go along to gain slack in the wires. When unbolting the cluster there are metal sleeves through the rubber mounting grommets that very easily go astray. DAMHIK. Use a bit of scotch tape to hold them in place when re-installing the cluster.

Bart Anderson

It's a real PITA, so I'd recommend that you replace all four while you're in there. The bulbs are Sylvania #74 or 74BP available at auto parts stores.

...and before you refit the rubber bulb holders back into the housing, apply a little silicon grease to the rubber to allow them to go in easier. They'll also be easier to remove next time.

Archived