IGNORED

When are the Texans heading north?

fdxkit

From reading the post on here it looks like there are a bunch of Texas folks heading to the UR. I'm going with a buddy either the 6th or early on the 7th from the DFW area. I was just wondering when everyone else is planning on heading out, and are there any groups getting together to make the trip. I see a lot of folks from South Texas are going to attend. Just wondering what the rest of Texas was doing.

Also, does anyone know of any particular hotel people will be staying at in ES? Camping is out bad back.

PJ and I are leaving the Houston area on Thursday night and spending a few days in Hot Springs. When we get to ES Tuesday we wil be staying at the Basin Park.

Yeeha! Stephen

Heading out of DFW maybe Sat. for sure Sunday. We want to be there for early Check-in.

I want to go Saturday, but Miss Vicki will be at a meeting out of town & may not get in till late Fri or early Sat. Which case, we'll be gone Sunday. smirk.gif

Leaving early in the AM so I can do the Talimena and the Pig Trail on the way up.

Kit, I will be heading up to the UnRally from the NTNOA bike show and camp out at Jefferson Texas (North Texas Norton Owners Assocoation) departing Sunday for ES-AR. I have a room booked at the Motel 6 if I can't get a room a else where. (I think I found one a little cheaper.) I can camp out for a couple of days OK...but a week is too much for me. From a Dallas Fort Worth point of view, any hotel will be fine since they will all be under ten or so miles from the Iron Horse Inn according to gps coordinates and distances via mapquest. The short ride to the Iron Horse should be a peice of cake compared to our daily travels in DFW....I hope. I plan to sleep well and ride a few miles to the HQ in the mornings to eat breakfast with the gang, then figure out who and where to go from there. I think any hotel up there will be OK as long as the parking lot is good enough for your bike stand. But I'd get a room ASAP

I'm headed up Sat with the family - I'm riding the rest are caging it. Staying at a time share in Branson, so I'll get to go back and forth on 86 for a few days. I was up in Springfield,MO last weekend and rode part of the route and am looking forward to the rest.

I havent got the dates worked out just yet. I need to be here and to do some business up that way both. So Im waiting for one or the other to resolve it.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless last minute business considerations dictate otherwise, I plan to leave N. Dallas/Richardson that Monday morning - either before the rush hour traffic or after. My son Jason may be joining me (riding his R1100R) if he can get away from school/work. I'm staying at the Iron Horse and have reservations through Thursday night, but I may need to leave Thursday morning, riding straight back to Dallas.

I plan riding from Lufkin to the Rally on Monday.

My route will be straight up 59/259 to around Mt. Pleasant, then the Mena, AR path north through Arkansas, perhaps going through Ft. Smith, probably not.

One of my friends rode that route last month. He will give me "best route" info later this week.

My rear brake is dragging. My new brake pads should arrive in ~5 days which should give me a week to get that caliper apart and cleaned up.

I'll be tent camping at the Iron Horse.

Looks like my son will not be going - too many exams that week to cut school. So, I'll be riding by myself unless someone from the DFW area would like to hook up that Monday morning...

It looks like I'll be able to make the unrally. I'm leaving from Austin early Monday morning. Has a group ride been put together? I could meet in the Dallas area.

Bill, a few folks 3 or 4 will be meeting at MacCarthur and 635. Near valley Ranch at the Chevron station 6am to beat the traffic. We've planned on taking the long way to Mena then up to Eureka Springs. If you don't mind taking the long road come and join us. I was going with them but due to a death Friday (I'm going to be a Pall Bearer) I'll be leaving the Denton area Monday around 1pm and Hauling ass up to Eureka Springs. The funeral is at 11am so I'm hoping for a 1pm departure. If anyone wants to leave late and drive fast let me know.

John_Bennett

My plans changed. I'm in Rockwall today (Sunday) about 30 miles NE of Dallas.

Can anyone suggest a good route from Rockwall Texas to Eureka Springs?

I was thinking Greenville, Paris, Hugo OK, Idabel, Poteau, Fort Smith AR, Springdale, Eureka Springs.

I was told the roads in Southeastern Oklahoma suck. I've never been there. Does anyone know a better route?

There a light drizzle here today but weather.com says it will clear off tomorrow.

Thanks, I've already made plans to meet Kevin G. when he arrives in the Dallas area from Austin. If anyone else is interested, we are meeting at the IHOP in McKinney on the 75 frontage road a block or so north of 380 (get off at the 380 exit) at 9:15 or so. We have not decided on a route yet, I'll have several alternatives programmed into the SPIII... cool.gif

John, my only suggestion would be to not miss the Tallihena drive (man I know I spelled that wrong) as you go north from Paris you will run into Hwy 271 follow that up to Hwy 1 (in OK) over to Mena Ark. From there head north you can't go wrong. But Hwy 1 over to Mena is about 50 miles of great roads. Half way you will pass the Queen Willimena lodge (again spelled wrong) they have a buffet that's not too bad. Good luck see you in ES.

John_Bennett

Thanks Kit!

I called a guy who used to live in Fort Smith. He said the most fantastic way from Dallas was to take I30 East until it intersects 259 just north of Mt. Pleasant. Then 259 all the way along the OK/AR border until I hit Fort Smith.

Since I'll be heading toward Houston on my way home (not as far west as Dallas) I'll take the Mena route.

Archived