IGNORED

Garmin Zummo

KCScott

Lone_RT_rider

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link! That thing looks incredibly cool. There is only one thing that worries me....

Included motorcycle mount and automotive mount (with integrated speaker) for riding or driving

I don't know if this is on top of, or replaces an audio out jack for helmet based speakers. According to their write-up the Zumo was developed with input from actual "bikers". I don't know many riders that think that open air speakers are of any good over 30 or 40 Mph.

Shawn

I wasn't completely clear on the audio output options, either. It mentions Bluetooth, which is great for those who are equipped for it, but I'd want to have a wired audio output, to integrate with my Autocom.

This looks a lot like the newer car-only GPS units from Garmin. My son has a C320. It's nice and it's easier to use than my 2610, but it's not nearly as versatile, in terms of routing options. The MSRP on the Zumo is pretty steep, about $1100! eek.gif

Lone_RT_rider

The 2610 was pretty steep on the Garmin page when it first came out to. Not long after that it was available as a refurb for around $600.00 and I believe I just paid less that $450.00 for mine with the City Navigator software. I am sure that price won't hold for long. Another question might be the options. It notes that XM and other things are available. Is it hardwired for this already or would that be a modular option for an additional cost over and above the $1100 price tag?

Shawn

Wow, I agree with the 'don't click on this link' comment... unless you need something new to want. wink.gif I like the concept of being able to share route and waypoint info on-the-fly using an SD card. Unfortunately the only item it seems to lack is NEXRAD weather integration... I believe the reference to 'XM Weather' only means text weather reports, not NEXRAD imagery... or am I wrong here?

If you go here and look at the motorcycle, it looks like a RAM mount on the back side of the unit. On the Main page, this product shot shows "STURGI" typed in. I wonder who they're marketing to and who did the testing?

Zūmo features a 10-thousand point tracklog, allowing users to record even the longest of rides – and the included MapSource® DVD even lets motorcyclists relive a memorable tour on their home computer through the 3-D Google Earth interface. Riders can also plan upcoming trips on their computer, and swap routes and waypoints with other zūmo owners via the unit’s SD card slot.

Users can also access zūmo’s trip computer page for trip information like speed, heading, and a customizable fuel gauge that allows users to define their motorcycle’s maximum fuel range. When zūmo calculates that the motorcycle is low on fuel, it automatically reminds the rider and suggests a route to a nearby gas station.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that link! That thing looks incredibly cool.

Too late! I already started begging for it for Christmas. It seems to have pretty much everything I want.

There is info. at the Garmin site

<link>

At a thousand bucks a pop, I'll stick with my old but trusty eMap and the yellow "get gas!" light on the speedo/tach console. grin.gif

<link>

At a thousand bucks a pop, I'll stick with my old but trusty eMap and the yellow "get gas!" light on the speedo/tach console. grin.gif

Ah, yes, the eternal issue of "what bank do I have to rob in order to . . . ?"

I wouldn't despair too greatly. As pointed out above, Garmin's MSRP holds, if it does at all, only briefly. My Garmin 2610, yesterday's "must-have" GPS, is now listed as "discontinued," and Garmin in on to the 2800 series.

I applaud Garmin's continuous innovation and introduction newer, better models, but I really didn't know I needed any of the features of the Zumo until I read about them. grin.gif

I applaud Garmin's continuous innovation and introduction newer, better models, but I really didn't know I needed any of the features of the Zumo until I read about them. grin.gif

Are you saying that a JPEG picture viewer is not a "must have" feature on a motorcycle?

On the Main page, this product shot shows "STURGI" typed in. I wonder who they're marketing

I would think GPS units are a softer sell item to BMW riders then Harley riders.

Besides, there are xx+ more of them then us.

I've had my eye on the SP 2730 which has similar features. One difference is that the XM antenna is bundled with the 2730 but it's an extra cost add-on for the 2820 and the Zumo. Bummer.

I had the same question as another post about "audio out" via hardwire. No output jack mentioned in the specs.

..but I really didn't know I needed any of the features of the Zumo until I read about them.

Here's a "feature" of dubious value:

"With zūmo’s Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can talk on the phone safely without removing your gloves or helmet."

Great, just what the roads need - cell phone yakkers on bikes.

I don't have an autocom or any other communication device on my bike, but just for discussion's sake, how is using a hands free bluetooth device on a cell phone any different than talking to your passenger on the autocom or for that matter, when it comes to cars, having someone in the passenger seat and talking to them? I have had to dodge plenty of folks with a cell phone glued to their ear and I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be safer to at least free their hands so they can remain on the steering wheel properly. Any other opinions on the bluetooth helmet capability?

...how is using a hands free bluetooth device on a cell phone any different than talking to your passenger on the autocom or for that matter, when it comes to cars, having someone in the passenger seat and talking to them? ...

This has been discussed here a lot and the many people (me included) seem to conclude that the phone CONVERSATION is so distracting that driving/riding suffers. Problem is not the one hand tied up to hold the phone, problem is the lack of multithreading capability of the human brain. According to studies we males suffer from that even more. frown.gif

Talking to a passenger does not seem to be as distracting. In that situation both parties are in the same place and can naturally pace the discussion to match traffic situation. Or something. But when on the phone the mind just wonders to the other person and driving takes the back seat.

--

Mikko

I shouldn't have clicked either! bncry.gifbncry.gif

But what really irks me is that it is for you US guys only. Same as the Quest 2 frown.gif

Cheers

Couchrocket

The only down side that I see for us Garmin 2xxx users is that the screen is smaller. It will depend on how they "use" that real estate that will determine whether this is something that would be an improvement over my 2720.

I like the ideas of buttons on the left side, etc.

Mikko,

I for one and I assume many other use integrated cell phones on the bike but NOT for "discussions". I use my for short focused communications i.e. "I'll be a couple hours late. Everything's fine". I find it very useful for these types of communications. Long "discussions" would be too distracting for me. Everyone draws the line on acceptable risk at a slightly different place. This is where I draw mine.

...how is using a hands free bluetooth device on a cell phone any different than talking to your passenger on the autocom or for that matter, when it comes to cars, having someone in the passenger seat and talking to them? ...

This has been discussed here a lot and the many people (me included) seem to conclude that the phone CONVERSATION is so distracting that driving/riding suffers. Problem is not the one hand tied up to hold the phone, problem is the lack of multithreading capability of the human brain. According to studies we males suffer from that even more. frown.gif

Talking to a passenger does not seem to be as distracting. In that situation both parties are in the same place and can naturally pace the discussion to match traffic situation. Or something. But when on the phone the mind just wonders to the other person and driving takes the back seat.

--

Mikko

I think Mikko's got it right. When I talk with a passenger, it tends to be a conversation of short duration and, for whatever reason, most of my attention stays focused on the drive or ride. In a car, when I'm on the phone (yes, I'm an evil person, I know . . . crazy.gif), it's more difficult for me to maintain focus on what's going on around me.

I'd add that there's one additional benefit to being connected by intercom to your passenger--you have an extra set of eyes to watch for hazards. thumbsup.gif

I wasn't completely clear on the audio output options, either. It mentions Bluetooth, which is great for those who are equipped for it, but I'd want to have a wired audio output, to integrate with my Autocom.
Just speculating, but on the Quest GARMIN M/C mount the audio out leads are in the same wire bundle as the power in leads. Given that GARMIN knows how and did this back then on the Quest, I'd be surprised if they took a step backward and didn't include this on a new motorcycle specific model.
AdventurePoser

<link>

I'm holding out until one of these things will make me a sandwich "on the fly."

My SPIII will just have to do!

Steve in So Cal

2f_1.JPG

The only down side that I see for us Garmin 2xxx users is that the screen is smaller. It will depend on how they "use" that real estate that will determine whether this is something that would be an improvement over my 2720.

I like the ideas of buttons on the left side, etc.

Does this mean there's a technical limitation that restricts use to the US, or does it mean they are only for sale in the US?

Does this mean there's a technical limitation that restricts use to the US, or does it mean they are only for sale in the US?
It looks like you can have European maps or North American maps.
SP 2820: 3.3” W x 1.7” H (3.8” diag.), 454 x 240 pixels

zumo 550: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels

I don't see and audio jack listed in the spec's at all. So I don't think this will interface with my autocom active-7-smart. The 2730 and 2820 do have audio output jacks.

Alan

Quite a few questions to be answered. How much storage space for MP3/JPG files? Can you play/view files/routes from the SD card? As noted earlier, audio out? Doesn't mention anything about FM broadcast. If no FM broadcast you have to hardwire it somewhere for the XM. Unless the system is going to force you to go Bluetooth. If that's the case it could make using it with XM pretty pricey.

The big question for me is how "seamlessly" the bluetooth technology integrates. Oh how I hate to have to integrate new technology (read: been using Windows for too many years).

I for one would LOVE to see a BT receiver and microphone such that I could use Ety or Shure in-ear headphones and have a microphone which would work with my cell.

Based on my personal experiences, I completely agree with the earlier comments about cell phones being more distracting than talking with a passenger.

bakerzdosen
I for one would LOVE to see a BT receiver and microphone such that I could use Ety or Shure in-ear headphones and have a microphone which would work with my cell.
Amen to that. I initially thought that my beloved Ety er-4p's would be too uncomfy in a helmet. Wow, I could not have been more wrong. It's rare I ride without them now. Of course, if Etymotic comes out with a BT setup, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist...
SP 2820: 3.3” W x 1.7” H (3.8” diag.), 454 x 240 pixels

zumo 550: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels

I'm guessing the only reason they list it as for sale in the US only is because of the XM stuff, the XM weather feeds and so on are only available in the US.

John Bentall

Ken, on the 2820 the MP3 sound comes out of the same (Mono) audio wire as the navigation instructions - therefore comaptible with Autocom. I have not found a way of turning this "sharing" off yet. When GPS talks music is muted - therefore no need to use the Autocom prioritization. The separate stereo audio out also carries the cellphone incoming voice.

I don't see and audio jack listed in the spec's at all. So I don't think this will interface with my autocom active-7-smart. The 2730 and 2820 do have audio output jacks.
Not necessarily. The Quest and Quest 2 don't have audio jacks either, but with the GARMIN motorcycle mount, optional on the Quest, included on the Zummo, audio output leads are provided that can tie into any intercom. Whats more, when in the MC mount, a "Motorcycle Volume" control then appears on the unit itself.

Again, I'm speculating, but I'd bet the Zummo operates similarly.

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my SPIII for some time now. The Garmin Zumo 550 may very well be it.

A main sticking point seems to be whether or not there is a traditional audio output jack. It's hard for me to believe they would presume the entire world has adopted or spent the additional funds to exclusively utilize Bluetooth technology. I'm sure we "non-Blue's" still out number those with, by 10-1 or more. So it seems it would be a huge marketing mistake not to include this simple item and I don't at all think that the lack of mentioning same in the specifications should make us feel this feature is unequivocally excluded.

Regarding the gas gage, that would largely be an unnecessary bell or whistle to help convince first-time GPS-users how motorcycle-friendly this unit is. You'd simply plug in the number of miles you usually go before you need to hit reserve, and with the GPS integration and all, it's easy to provide a little graphic about the gas 15 or 20 miles before that. I'm sure all of our normal methods are just fine.

Regarding weather, and downloading or interfacing with Google Earth, etc., neither is anything I would use regularly.

Now I AM interested in the MP3 capability (but that's just personal because I've pretty much adopted a separate XM radio for my bike music); and to me, having the buttons on the left hand side that are large and spaced reasonably apart is absolutely GREAT. Also, the fact that they're touting the screen is visible in high sun conditions is another huge benefit. Beyond that, first and foremost this is still a GPS unit, and the clarity and efficiency of routings is what we continue to pay the most attention to.

I am most concerned about and want to ensure there is an audio output (I'm checking regularly for Garmin's posting of the operator's manual on their website too). Moving past that little hurdle I greatly look forward to full electronics magazines or on-line techno reports to get the entire story under hands-on conditions. If all pans out, I'll probably be the first guy who buys one (uh, with the normal discount given on Garmins of course). You just can't go wrong with Garmin.

There was a post on the LT list quoting Garmin tech support as saying there was a line out. Perhaps it's integrated with the power cord to keep the weather out??

Unfortunately the only item it seems to lack is NEXRAD weather integration... I believe the reference to 'XM Weather' only means text weather reports, not NEXRAD imagery... or am I wrong here?
The table on this page indicates that the device does not get weather data. XM channel 125 is the Weather Channel, and channels 210 through 230 give traffic and weather for Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

But the traffic function "Includes weather-related traffic delays and basic weather data information such as Current Conditions, 5 to 7 Day City Forecast (depending on the city information), and Severe Weather Alerts." I guess the gps is smart enough to decide which XM traffic data is appropriate.

I just wanted to pass on my experiences, to date, with the Garmin 2820. I know this thread is about the ZUMMO but they are comparable in many ways.

I got the unit in late June. I have used it on two bikes, R1100 RT-P (significant because the mounting points for the radar unit allowed me to mount the unit there with a stainless steel plate and some elevated standoffs to change the angle) and a Honda Valkyrie. I used the motorcycle mount which was specified on the Garmin Website (which I purchased from E-bay as a mount for the 2620 I believe. It works).

Routing using either the unit itself or the computer mapping program works as I envisioned. It takes a little bit of work at the computer to get routes right but using waypoints helps. The USB connection works as expected, there are two modes, Garmin and USB (I don’t remember what the screen says but this is the mode you use to treat the unit as an external hard drive). Data transfer to the unit is fast. Data transfer from the unit to the computer is somewhat slower. There is a negative aspect of using the unit in the external hard drive mode. You have access to all the data stored on the unit and you could delete some needed files.

There is a specific MP3 folder. As the unit comes, you have about 800 megabytes of storage. Each voice takes up about 15 mb so you can delete the foreign language voices and gain maybe another 100 mb or so for MP3 storage.

The motorcycle power connector does have a plug for audio out. It’s mono only. The cable for supplying power is adequately insulated but the fuse is a one amp fuse and the power wires are really small and the insulation is minimal. In addition, if you assume it’s the same cable used in the car mount, the wires that would carry audio to the speaker in the cigarette lighter connector are just clipped off at the end. They could short together. I have insulated them in both motorcycle installations.

The blue tooth works for carrying voice and music files to a stereo receiver. I did not want to use a helmet speaker system so I had to find a blue tooth stereo receiver which could be used with headphones(earbuds). I finally found such a unit made by XTERASYS (XB202 designed for use with Ipods). The unit consists of two units, a stereo transmitter and a stereo receiver (you can not buy the stereo receiver separately). The stereo receiver had not problem synching up with the 2820. I was concerned about the audio quality and the fact that it was limited to a single connection. That is, you can only connect one stereo receiver to the blue tooth system on the 2820. I wanted to have the capability of having both rider and passenger listen to the same music. I tried a Belkin FM transmitter and found it was OK but not any better than the blue tooth system. The problem in audio quality was with the earphones. I finally got a pair of Shure E2C earphones and they do work as advertised. They have good audio quality and do provide ample sound isolation (tested on the Valkyrie which does have after market exhaust system and it is louder than stock).

As for connecting a second blue tooth system to the 2820, as I said, you can’t do that. So if you intend on using the 2820’s MP3 capabilities on blue tooth you will have to have another system that can connect to the blue tooth or do what I did and use the stereo transmitter from XTERASYS for the second audio source.

The unit has two input jacks on the left hand side; one for audio out (stereo) and one for mike in (phone) use. The audio out can be selected for either line output (I suspect it changes the impedance on the output but don’t know for sure) or for speaker/earphones (I forget what the screen says.) If you select line out and use earphones, the audio out is distorted.

There separate volume controls for the MP3 player, the phone, and the navigation instructions. I don’t know about the phone but when navigation instructions are given, the MP3 output is paused, not just muted. That’s cool. They could have muted the MP3 output but by pausing it, you don’t miss any of the music. There is a speed controlled voluem selection but it does not appear to work with the audio out jack or the blue tooth audio.

The display has two modes of operation for brightness, one is manual and the other is automatic. The automatic works fine in a car. The light sensor is on the back of the unit. Depending on how it’s mounted on the bike, the sensor may or may not provide adequate display lighting. On the 1100, I had to use the manual full brightness mode to be able to see the display in full sunlight (angle has an affect). On the Valkyrie, the mount angle has been such that I can not read the display in full sunlight with the sun behind me. That is if the sun is shining on the display, it can hardly be seen. Last night I changed the angel of the display and I’ll see if it can be read in “full” sunlight this afternoon. I suspect there are few displays of this type that can really be utilized in “full” sunlight, you just can not make them bright enough.

The unit came fully loaded with maps as I expected. The Mapsource program was also provided on DVD. It had to be unlocked. The unlocking code was contained on a small piece of paper that I overlooked initially so it took me some time to figure out where it was hiding.

The bad news. The unit worked as I expected for about two weeks. Then, one day after a down load, when I turned the unit on, it went through initial setup again, just as it did the first day out of the box. After that, the maps were locked and the blue tooth was not available. After some work with Garmin, they unlocked the maps but could not get the blue tooth working again. They are sending me a replacement unit, but they have been back ordered until August. The navigation function still works as does the MP3 player but I have to use the audio out jack on the unit to get the music and voice prompts. Garmin is allowing me to keep the unit I have until the new one arrives. So I still have the basic functionality of the system.

UPDATE -- I've received email responses from Garmin from emails regarding whether or not Bluetooth was required as well as the situation for an audio output for both the voice directions and MP3 player (i.e. mono and stereo, resp.), and was informed that:

"Yes, there included in the packaging is the usual power/audio cable for those not interested in using the Bluetooth option."

and

"...the unit itself does not [have an output jack], but the mount for the motorcycle will."

FURTHER, on the GL1800/GPS, Gadgets subforum, a member of that GoldWing site who saw the single-"M" Zumo unveiling and spoke with a rep at Laguna Seca corroborated that the unit:

"Has a[n[ input for the 3.5 mm GW accessory plug (according to sales rep).... or for that matter any 3.5[mm] jack."

I'M BUYING ONE (er, just after I read a fully substantive 3rd-party review)!

One thing I forgot to mention was that, on the 2820, when the blue tooth is used to listen to stereo, the audio out is disabled from the output jack on the side and the mono audio via the speaker. I am making an assumption that the speaker on the 12 VDC plug is the same connection that is supplied with the motorcycle mount. What I do not know is that if you connect your cell phone to the system, is the audio output also disable. For a fact it is when a stereo receiver is enabled via blue tooth.

It does not make any real sense except that it mutes a public output in favor of a private output.

Archived