IGNORED

The Bmweerman saga continues and a warning!

bmweerman

Greetings Cohmrades...

For those of you following this tale of being stranded in Northern California...

Here's the latest....at the recomendation of the guy at Beemer Boneyard, I got a use driveline and final from a place called Cycle Recycled. When I got the final he had only send half of the bearings..(outer races only) as you might imagine the inner races from the old failed bearings were trashed so waited two more days for new bearing from A & S Cycle.

When we went to swap out the brake disk we found half of a screw jammed in the "new" final...had to drill it out and re-tap it!

Then discovered A & S had send the wrong bearings. Ended up putting the damaged bearings back in. My plan is to get up early and drive 200 miles to A & S for the right bearings, and in my opinion they should put those suckers in for me...do y'all agree?

Just hope those bearing make it there...at least the bike is back in my possession.

All opinions, suggestions welcomed

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention A & S sent me and billed me for a $500 com system I didn't order.

bmweerman...out

Luck favors the prepared

Hmmm..let's see travel with extra throttle cable, clutch cable, tool kit, tire repair kit, etc, etc.

Where's my luck grin.gifconfused.gif

Luck favors the prepared

Hmmm..let's see travel with extra throttle cable, clutch cable, tool kit, tire repair kit, etc, etc.

Well you sure are learning a lot!

It's been interesting to read of your adventures..

Remember, as brother Jerry used to sing..

"One way or another this darkness has got to give"

[New Speedway Boogie]

BTW, on a smaller scale, I odrered some RT-P accessories from A&S (brackets etc.). Nothing big. They sent me 50 screw clips for brackets that needed 4, and charged me nearly $1 a piece. Wasn't big money but I thought it strange...

If it's a Setcom kit you got I might need that!

Just kidding...

Gotta ask.. you sure the bike is safe to drive 200 miles with incomplete bearings? Just being safety minded.. the swing arm/final can probably make it so long as it doesn't separate...

eek.gif

Luck favors the prepared

Well you sure are learning a lot!

It's been interesting to read of your adventures..

Remember, as brother Jerry used to sing..

"One way or another this darkness has got to give"

[New Speedway Boogie]

BTW, on a smaller scale, I odrered some RT-P accessories from A&S (brackets etc.). Nothing big. They sent me 50 screw clips for brackets that needed 4, and charged me nearly $1 a piece. Wasn't big money but I thought it strange...

If it's a Setcom kit you got I might need that!

Just kidding...

Gotta ask.. you sure the bike is safe to drive 200 miles with incomplete bearings? Just being safety minded.. the swing arm/final can probably make it so long as it doesn't separate...

eek.gif

yes...who can argue with brother Jerry..the bearings aren't incomplete it's just that the inner races are scored up and will tear up the needle bearings. I'm going to ride it naked and by myself to keep the wieght down. Should be ok as long as A & S does the right thing when I get there.

Francois_Dumas
Luck favors the prepared

You might want to travel in Europe next time... lots of dealers around..... that way you can ride instead of tinker dopeslap.gif

Seriously, glad I'm not in your shoes and hope you get things fixed soon now ! thumbsup.gif

Ef.

Les is more

I'm going to ride it naked and by myself to keep the wieght down.

I guess if you're riding naked, it's just as well that you're by yourself! eek.gifgrin.gif

What a trip you're having. I have a friend who used to call what you're going through an AFGO. It stands for,

"Another F______ Growth Opportunity." tongue.gif

Firefight911

I am at work until Friday morning but if you need a hand with anything or a trailer, etc. give me a jingle. I'll head up to give you a hand.

thumbsup.gif

PM me for number, etc.

I'm going to ride it naked and by myself to keep the wieght down.

I guess if you're riding naked, it's just as well that you're by yourself! eek.gifgrin.gif

What a trip you're having. I have a friend who used to call what you're going through an AFGO. It stands for,

"Another F______ Growth Opportunity." tongue.gif

That's what my sponsor keeps telling me!!!

Thanks again to all for the encouragment...at the moment I am at A & S Motorsports in Roseville. They were going to charge me for replacing the bearing, but a polite, and I mean that sincerely, conversation. They agreed to drop the charge. "God that sounds like I'm in Jail"

The tech just came and gave Black a clean bill of health....

Soo....These seem to be the good guys...I have yet to have words with Cycles Recycled...that should prove and interesting conversation.

BTW...it was a year ago today that Patti and I got hitched in Sedona, AZ sitting on top of "Black Beauty"....not exactly the way I wanted to spend our annivesery but as you said Les AFGO...

Oh, well only a 5 hour ride back north to see her.

Question Les...is it OK to ride naked if it's with your wife? I don't see a violation there? No doubt the CHP would see it differently...maybe at night..........

bmweerman out...

I am at work until Friday morning but if you need a hand with anything or a trailer, etc. give me a jingle. I'll head up to give you a hand.

thumbsup.gif

PM me for number, etc.

Yet another kind and generous offer..If you read my post to Les it looks like that won't be necassary. But Thank You!!

And a big public thanks to Deadboy, Rich M and Lee.

Lee is not a member of this board and prefers to remain anonymous...

And here's a Sport Touring tip...if you plan on riding out in the boonies..which who doesn't...a really good addition to your tool kit would be a 12mm hex tool. You might find help, you might find friends, you might find wrenches in the stix but I can personally guarantee you there are no 12mm hex tools north of Redding California.

Once again...bmweerman and the ever long suffering Patti...out....

Sorry for your troubles. I will tritely say, you will never forget this trip. I will second the unavailability of 12mm hex head sockets. I am in final drive heck (can't be hell because you're in final drive hell) and I went everywhere looking for a 12mm and no one has larger than a 10mm. Finally ordered one.

Gonna carry that with me everywhere.

Peter

AdventurePoser
I'm going to ride it naked and by myself to keep the wieght down. Should be ok as long as A & S does the right thing when I get there.

You ARE the god of Adventure....but do us all a favor, please don't ride your bike naked. The UV in the central valley is killer right now! grin.gif

Steve

And it keeps going and going...

Shot these pix on the way back to Yreka from Sacramento yesterday...sorry for the small number and lo_res but I'm still on dial up.

82786624-M.jpg

Intersate 5 bridge over Lake Shasta as seen from side road

82786267-M.jpg

A closer view

82786028-M.jpg

Another I-5 Bridge over Lake Shasta as seen from below

82789388-M.jpg

Not everyone like BMW apparently

82789488-M.jpg

Arrived back at motel to find new forest fire burning directly behind us...more on that later

bmweerman...out

82789388-M.jpg

Not everyone like BMW apparently

I do not care who you are, but that, right there, is FUNNY!

Dude, you are redefining Adventure Touring for me. After finally getting back on the road and coming back to a fire next to the motel... ever get the feeling you are being sent a message? Take Patti HOME, and enjoy that for a while! cool.gifwave.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

82789388-M.jpg

I'm with Denny, that is fuuuuunnnnnnnny

I got to hand it to you for your attitude during this whole affair! You have earned some serious good Karma!

I do think you should write a short story about this and send it to some of the magazines. With the positive spin/attitude it would make a great saga! It reminds me of one of my favorite movies: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

I do have to wonder if your luck isn't due to your choice of living locations blush.gif Could it be because you live so close to SNC1923 and FlyingGreg? I could see that causing problems in the overall fabric of the Karma universe! grin.gifgrin.gif

(I am now hobbling quickly away, covering my head, and finding something to hide under!)

Y'all know I love yous guys... wink.gif

82789388-M.jpg

I got to hand it to you for your attitude during this whole affair! You have earned some serious good Karma!

I do think you should write a short story about this and send it to some of the magazines. With the positive spin/attitude it would make a great saga! It reminds me of one of my favorite movies: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

I do have to wonder if your luck isn't due to your choice of living locations blush.gif Could it be because you live so close to SNC1923 and FlyingGreg? I could see that causing problems in the overall fabric of the Karma universe! grin.gifgrin.gif

(I am now hobbling quickly away, covering my head, and finding something to hide under!)

absolutely classic pix. must be a harley dog!

Arrived back at motel to find new forest fire burning directly behind us...more

With your luck, your bike started the fire. crazy.gif

Glad y'all enjoyed the pic...and Tool...I am taking Patti home as we speak...and there's more to the story if you guys can bear it. dopeslap.gif

And thanks to everybody for the encouragment and help through out this adventure

bmweerman...out

82789388-M.jpg

Actually was on this trip on an assignment for Friction Zone Magazie doing a double Road Trip.

Actualy managed to do half of it yesterday...a very interesting trip to Lava Beds National Monument.

Have over 5000 words of notes on the backstory but FZ does not publish this kind of material...

You don't happen to know any magazine editors do you? eek.gif

Sorry for the shameless self promotion...but this was one hell of an expesive trip and I'm dirty, tired and beyond all shame at this point.

But we are on our way home....

bmweerman...out

BeniciaRT_GT

Strangely enough, I have lots of contacts, but all on the big business and/or airline side of the world. Not any at the motorcycle magazines...Sorry.

Readers digest might like a more humourus spin of that kind of tale...

It isn't enough to not make money while you are supposed to be, but to have spend that much on top of it!!!

Ouch!!!

Strangely enough, I have lots of contacts, but all on the big business and/or airline side of the world. Not any at the motorcycle magazines...Sorry.

Readers digest might like a more humourus spin of that kind of tale...

It isn't enough to not make money while you are supposed to be, but to have spend that much on top of it!!!

Ouch!!!

Well, thanks anyway thumbsup.gif

and yeah it is an ouch, but...you're not going to believe this I went in a used book store next to a coffee shop we stopped at a few hours ago and in the Travel section was a paperback entitled..."Bad Trips" You know I had to buy that! And, here's the kicker the opening quote of the book is...

"Exploring is delightful to look forward to and back upon, but it is not comfortable at the time, unless it be of such an easy nature as not to deserver the name."

------Samuel Butler

'nuff said

bmweerman and the Amazing Patti...out....

"Exploring is delightful to look forward to and back upon, but it is not comfortable at the time, unless it be of such an easy nature as not to deserver the name."

------Samuel Butler

'nuff said

thumbsup.gif

Here are some actual ride pix...finally!

83144571-M.jpg

Looking north on FR49 aka Modoc Volcanic Scenic bypass...looking like yet another beautiful forest road...but wait..!

83136896-M.jpg

Things get real weird, real fast. The place is littered with deposits of volcanic material from half a million year of eruption the Medicine Lake Volcano.

83136480-M.jpg

Stuff like this ALL over the place!

83135677-M-1.jpg

83135296-M.jpg

Then comes Medicine Lake which is suprisingly beautiful

After that things get weird beyond belief...I'll post those pix as soon as they finish uploading.

bmwerman out

And now…

The rest of the story…I promise!

When last we left our heros bmweerman had driven up to the motel in Yreka, Ca to find a forest fire burning behind it. Re-united with Mrs. Bmweerman they were very entertained to watch the fighting of the fire.

The next day on a bike pronounced healthy by A & S Cycles in Roseville, they rode away to do their job. Part of which was to go check out Lava Beds National Monument.

While exploring the lava tube caves Patti’s boot heel slipped into a hole in the concrete and she fell and hurt both knees..kind of bad.

We finished the ride and left early the next morning. Spent most of the next day in Mt. Shasta waiting to get her some medication so she could ride home. The nearest pharmacy that took our insurance was in Redding…an hour away but on the way home.

Got her there…got some painkillers in her and got a motel room.

Up this morning at 4AM to beat the heat…still 500+ miles to go home…we rode until we got to Santa Nella where the pre-noon temp today was 117 degrees. WE were just getting tore up so we decided to spend the money for ONE MORE hotel room.

Tried to take a nap but it was hotter in the hotel room..inquire at the front desk..air conditioning out. After a bit of haggling receive refund and spend rest of day hanging around Starbucks until nightfall then drove successfully home…Trip Over!!

Following are some pix.

83375605-M.jpg

Mount Shasta as seen from Highway 89

83120133-M.jpg

A very rideable FR97

83113044-M.jpg

And the view from there.

83100481-M.jpg

FR 10 Through what seems like Area 51

83107851-M-1.jpg

Down into the lava tube caves

83100313-M.jpg

Looking out

83106078-M.jpg

Pretty cool stuff

83366094-M.jpg

Patti surveys the lava beds.

There's more and more and more but this has to end somewhere.

Thanks to all!

bmweerman and patti out

Archived