IGNORED

Leak on shaft drive?

nmbeemer

Is this a leak or some sort of overflow for my gear oil?

I didn't add any fluids, but I did get back from a trip on a hot day.

Picture is at top of the post under "attachments"

Any help is appreciated.

715541-Leakoroverflow.JPG.34e065a813b17a78a89b5affbad086c5.JPG

Looks like just a burp out of the vent (the little piece of black plastic at the top), maybe your oil level is a bit high or sometimes they just do it anyway. Clean it up, double-check your oil level, and beyond that I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening.

Redline oil.

Okay, this is going sound ignorant (and it probably is) but how can I check the gear oil level? Is there a sight glass?

Rich06FJR1300

i tried that redline and no matter how much i put in it would spew out of the vent. It foams more than the bmw oil so I'd suggest you switch back. Plus, when my seal blew bmw wouldn't cover any of the repair as its not their recommended oil. I use it in the tranny only.

You can use any gear fluid of the proper weight, but I prefer to use a synthetic 75/140 (Mobil 1). I change this fluid as often as I change engine oil as it is easy to do and only uses a few ounces. Be sure not to overfill or you will see more leaks! thumbsup.gif

i tried that redline and no matter how much i put in it would spew out of the vent. It foams more than the bmw oil so I'd suggest you switch back.

I agree - Use the shockline in the trannie, and use 75/90 or whatever in the FD.

Clive Liddell

I agree - Use the shockline in the trannie, and use 75/90 or whatever in the FD.

Why would you be happy with foaming where you don't see it??

Why would you be happy with foaming where you don't see it??
grin.gif

Seriously, I think that's an interesting observation. If the product foams badly in the final drive why would we expect it to do otherwise in the transmission (even though the larger volume in the transmission might make it harder to detect)?

I don't use Redline in my bike - just regular or synthetic 75/90, but many (some??) riders do use the redline in their tran without trouble. But you're right. I wonder if it foams inside the transmission also, or if the physical layout of the trans prevents it from foaming...

Great advice everyone. Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 75/90 in the trans and FD. Any idea where I can pick up the crush washers? Does the trans, FD, and engine all use the same size?

photojournalyst

Um, I know about as much about these bikes as I do about women, but wouldn't you use something other then the mobile 75/90 in your gearbox? I do believe that it's a bit thick and syrup like to be used in those fine dog tooth gears of ours. Somebody prove I'm wrong here, I'm just going off what I know about cars.

Any idea where I can pick up the crush washers? Does the trans, FD, and engine all use the same size?
I suppose a BMW dealer would be too obvious of an answer? They are not all the same size.
Bart Anderson

FWIW, I noticed that while the BMW dino gear oil is SAE 90, the synthetic stuff is 75/140 (not 75/90), so I run Mobil 1 75/140.

The mobil 1 is marketed as their "light truck formula," but I run it even though my bike is an RT, not an LT. grin.gif

BMW dealer? Hah! That's a 200 mile drive one-way. I do all of my business on the internet. I found a local fastner place in town that carries the sizes needed.

Archived