Rear Brake Pads

1100RTGuy

I noticed that a small noise was coming from the rear brake today when it was used. Suppose I need to change them out. I checked the faq but didn't see anything as to what would be a good replacement pad. I checked A&S Cycle and oem was 61 dollars a set. Anyone know of a better pad and name and product number, please. I know this list is a great resource for us do it selfers. Thanks in advance.

I've successfully used the EBC organic pads.

FA246 Front

FA363 Rear

The front ones do not have the anti-rattle clip; however, when I installed them, I gave them a liberal coating of anti-sieze on the backs and have never noticed a rattle.

It's a good idea to get the install kit from a dealer too (new pin)

34112330418 front

34212330313 rear

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

FA246 Front

FA363 Rear

The front ones do not have the anti-rattle clip; however, when I installed them, I gave them a liberal coating of anti-sieze on the backs and have never noticed a rattle.

34112330418 front

34212330313 rear

I, too, have used EBC fronts with great success. I recently changed my rears for the first time in 85,000 miles and when doing so I requested EBC rears, but was told by my dealer that the metal backing plate doesn't fit correctly and you have to grind some metal away. I was sold a set of SBS pads, which slipped right in and seem to be fine.

I have never put in the anti-rattle clip, or used anti-seize paste and only hear rattling on washboard dirt roads.

I'm uncertain why you'd need a new pin? Seems like a waste of money to me.

John Dickens

FA246 Front

FA363 Rear

34112330418 front

34212330313 rear

I, too, have used EBC fronts with great success. I recently changed my rears for the first time in 85,000 miles and when doing so I requested EBC rears, but was told by my dealer that the metal backing plate doesn't fit correctly and you have to grind some metal away.

Not True! Your dealer lies through his teeth.

I fitted a pair of EBC FA363 pads not 2 days ago. They went straight in with no modification whatever.

I fitted a pair of EBC FA363 pads not 2 days ago. They went straight in with no modification whatever.

Yep. What he said. thumbsup.gif

I just replaced my rear pads with EBC pads. Direct drop in replacement. I have a set of front pads in a box right next to me (2 sets). $55 from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse 1-800-241-2222. That's $27.50 a set for the fronts, and the rear set cost $22.50. I'll put the fronts in today.

Another thing to consider is that EBC has different grades of brake pad material. Their Streetsport pads are designated "HH" at the end of the model number (eg: FA246HH) and these pads are the higher friction type for more effective braking. These prices are the "HH" model prices. John S Boise

BlueRidgeBoy

On the same subject: I replaced my rear pads last month with SBS. Does the thick pad go on the right and the thinner one on the left?

John Dickens

Surely they can only go in one way round? Certainly the 1100RT rear pads are not symmetrical. They only have a locating pin at one end of the pad so you can't fit them any other way?

BlueRidgeBoy

John,

True they can only go in one way but one pad has more material than the other - about 2 mm more. I noticed this at the bike shop (not a dealer - I don't have a local dealer) even before I opened the shrink wrap. The mechanic's response was "look at the old ones when you remove them". When I removed the old ones the right pad still had a little meat but the left one was paper thin.

My Clymer manual doesn't cover this.

FA246 Front

FA363 Rear

Right on. Just avoid the "HH" suffix pads that claim to be high friction, high performance. They are hard on your disks, and tend to squeal, without delivering that mugh better performance.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Right on. Just avoid the "HH" suffix pads that claim to be high friction, high performance. They are hard on your disks, and tend to squeal, without delivering that mugh better performance.

It has been mentioned to me by a few different mechanics that the HH has better wet weather performance. That being said, I have not noticed any difference between the sintered and non-sintered in the wet or dry. Of course, I doubt that I have enough experience to tell the difference anyway. YMMV smile.gif

I use the EBC HH on the rear. The organic dusted Very badly for me. When I purchased my bike, the previous owner had placed EBC's on the rear. I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but on a '98 RT, yes it is a drop in pad when it is new, BUT as it wears the extra metal at the pin WILL jam against the caliper housing and cause the rears to drag to the point of damaging the rear rotor. A small amount of time with the grinder and you will have trouble free service from the EBC's. I can’t stress enough to PLEASE remove the small amount of metal it takes, just use the factory backing plate as a guide.

FA246 Front

FA363 Rear

34112330418 front

34212330313 rear

Trebor: 1)Did you mean regular silver anti-seize on the back of the pads? 2) Or do you mean the anti-squeal brake pad compound that comes in a small one-time use package at the auto parts store? 3)Also, have some of you just bought some of the Permatex anti-squeal in a spray can? I don't know if thats the proper word for the stuff, but some of you know what i mean. You spray it on the back of car pads and let it tack for a few minutes and then install pads. Should work on bikes-both the paste stuff and the Permatex spray-I would think. I hate squealing brakes.

Trebor: 1)Did you mean regular silver anti-seize on the back of the pads? ...

I took a bit of advice from a friend of mine who has quite a bit of automotive experience. After I told him of my "anti-rattle clip dilemma", he told me that for cars, the general rule of thumb is to brake-tack American brakes and use regular silver anti-sieze on European ones. I did it and it seemed to work for me.

georgem,

could you be a little more specific about where the EBC's need to be ground? Inside the hole? I found that I was able to get them in, but they were a tight fit. I do not want to suffer the indignity of replacing another rotor as the BMW pads did this to me once before. Seems we may have a design defect on our hands.

Sorry about the slow reply, The outside of the pad at the pin area. You remove metal and make the "loop" that the pin goes through smaller. When the caliper is pushed over on the pins it floats on, IE worn pads, This loop hangs on the aluminum bracket that the caliper floats on. This is on an 1100 with Brembo brakes, can't speak for the BMW brakes. PM me and I will take a photo of old pads if I can find them and show you the area.

Archived