IGNORED

A daft question but

bluepassat

This may be a daft question but

(Re- 1995 R1100RT) Is it normal when the engine is hot (and the oil will be thinner) to feel a slight knock from both cylinder heads via the rocker covers when revving the engine around 1500-2000 rpm

The engine doesn’t sound like the tappets need doing........... or is that the tappets?

Definitely sounds more nosey when hot, from that area

My question is any thing I can do to quiet the engine down

Thanks for your help

Jerry Johnston

You may get more replies if you told us how many miles on the bike and what the ambiant temperature is.

Hi its done 39k, the ambient temperature is about 25degrees C

However it doesn’t t do it when the engine is cold

Cylinder imbalance (valves, throttle bodies, et al) can make a good engine sound awful. There will inevitably be a difference between hot and cold noise, due to oil characteristics changing with temperature.

So, try an oil change and a quality tuning session and see how it goes.

(While balancing the throttle bodies, try deliberately adjusting one side too far one way -- you'll see what I mean about the racket it makes.)

ShovelStrokeEd

More than likely it is the rocker arm end float that is making the noise. I don't have my CD with me but the minimum end float is something like 0.012". As I recall the spec is pretty broad and, when at the upper end, can get pretty noisy.

A search for "+end +play", leave off the quotes, might find more information.

the guy who i purchased the bike off said it was serviced in december 2005? However i have noticed when holding the throttle in say 2nd or 3rd it seems a bit jerky and as if its not runnin clean....also at speed you can def feel a slight surge/rocking

would you recommend i do the check the tappets do an oil change anyway and balance the throttle bodys

would ordanary 20w/50 be ok? (as slighly thicker oil)

regards

bluepassat

SSEd makes a valid point. Rocker end float limits are 0.05 ... 0.40 mm but it clatters somewhat at the slack end of the range.

Certainly, a proper service will set a useful datum. As an individual, it's possible to spend more time achieving an accurate tune than the dealer's technician would be able to.

The engine will be delighted with 20W/50. wink.gif

If you haven't already found them, Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies and its companion volume, Rocker End Play for Dummies are useful starting points.

SSEd makes a valid point. Rocker end float limits are 0.05 ... 0.40 mm but it clatters somewhat at the slack end of the range.

Certainly, a proper service will set a useful datum. As an individual, it's possible to spend more time achieving an accurate tune than the dealer's technician would be able to.

The engine will be delighted with 20W/50. wink.gif

If you haven't already found them, Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies and its companion volume, Rocker End Play for Dummies are useful starting points.

Thanks for that Guys i did think myself about the rocker assembly as you can feel a slight knock thro your finger tips at about 2500rpm and it’s the same on both sides

I think that’s my next job smile.gif

Thanks for that Guys i did think myself about the rocker assembly as you can feel a slight knock thro your finger tips at about 2500rpm and it’s the same on both sides

I think that’s my next job smile.gif

Don't play with the rocker arm end clearance until you've tried everything else, you can measure the clearance when you do the valves of course. Have you found another RT and compared the vibes and sound to yours?

The engine does sound as this forum describes slightly agricultural. However you cant feel any knock at all when its cold…. only when hot however its both sides and its the same (I don’t know if its coming from the tappets)

I don’t know anyone local to me to compare…. I have just done the left hand cam chain modification “stop the rattle” see link

http://www.ebbo.org/stop_the_rattle.php

And I think it has improved engine noise slightly? Maybe doing the cam mod has showed where the next rattle noise is coming from

Archived